Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

Yoda

English & European
Guess it must be then...

I've already given my view on this:

"Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
sooo, are you saying you dont recognise the findings of the report you were awaiting?"

I personally wouldn't trust any report that only asks/talks to one side of the argument.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Yes,lets have a race to the bottom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't you mean race to the top £60000 pa is similar pay to what most doctors and solicitors earn it's getting pretty close to the limit when Mr Corbyn wants to tax you 50p in the pound.:shrug:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Don't you mean race to the top £60000 pa is similar pay to what most doctors and solicitors earn it's getting pretty close to the limit when Mr Corbyn wants to tax you 50p in the pound.:shrug:

You stated that in your opinion "they get paid to much"so in your ideal world they should really be having a pay cut?
Therefore a race to the bottom,in My opinion they are worth every penny of their salary,also in My opinion Doctors,nurses,firefighters,Police should all get much,much more salary but if you think cutting a train drivers money is going to increase the salary of vital public sector workers I fear you are wrong.
As for solicitors,I wouldn't wipe my arse on those dirty *****.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
You stated that in your opinion "they get paid to much"so in your ideal world they should really be having a pay cut?
Therefore a race to the bottom,in My opinion they are worth every penny of their salary,also in My opinion Doctors,nurses,firefighters,Police should all get much,much more salary but if you think cutting a train drivers money is going to increase the salary of vital public sector workers I fear you are wrong.
As for solicitors,I wouldn't wipe my arse on those dirty *****.

I'm not suggesting a pay cut at all, I'm questioning how the pay scale has got so out of hand.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I'm not suggesting a pay cut at all, I'm questioning how the pay scale has got so out of hand.

Why is it out of hand?
Train drivers know their worth ,so do their employers,if you think paying someone 60k in THE most expensive part of the country is "out of hand" I fear for this country ,I really do.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Why is it out of hand?
Train drivers know their worth ,so do their employers,if you think paying someone 60k in THE most expensive part of the country is "out of hand" I fear for this country ,I really do.

It does kind of shit all over peoples argument that you should pay for university as you then go on to earn more than if you didn't. For an, essentially, unqualified job (academically they have other skills that are important), they do get paid a he'll of a lot. I can only dream of that salery!

60k is a large sum of money especially for 35 hrs work per week, good luck to them, but striking, really.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Thanks for the civil response!

With regard to running with no OBS, currently trains are cancelled if no guard/OBS is available due to missed connection, sickness etc.. Would you accept this as a reason to run the train without an OBS or would you feel that the train should be delayed/cancelled in this instance? I guess this is the most likely scenario that annoys people that "just want to get home".

Again I appreciate that you can't speak for all drivers, just keen to get an understanding of the mood. Positive to hear you say that you don't think the sides are too far apart.

No, I wouldn't agree that that's a good enough reason because it's a slippery slope to GTR just not employing enough OBSs and then bit by bit they will be gone. I think an employer should employ enough staff to get the job done and that should mean ample spares around the network to cover the usual eventualities. At the moment either an OBS appears or they don't and no explanation is given so it could be they just never allocated one for that trip, someone went sick or got delayed or were never rostered at all etc but we never know. Then if that's the case and a wheelchair user wishes to get on, we have to tell them that we are not allowed to let them on - pretty demeaning and annoying (not to mention illegal) for them and soul destroying for us. I would have the exceptional circumstances when we can run without one personally for when disruption is severe -i.e a fatality or complete closure of a main line etc. I'm not unreasonable - my job is ultimately to get people from a to b but I would like to do that safely and for those people to have a qualified member of staff on board to look after them if at all possible.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
wasn't that the last offer to RMT that they rejected? few would see fault with those conditions. will say it again, the intransigence of RMT buggered their members and the public on this as they had so many concessions out of Southern. and they've buggered the drivers because you're boxed into a principled corner after the ship has sailed (or should that be train departed), Southern aren't going to go back and reemploy/train the OBS as guards.

No, GTR have never guaranteed an OBS on all their services without a whole host of exemptions.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
It's a good wage (or will be by Oct 2019) but what we're being paid has nothing to do with this.

I know it's the safety aspect and to be honest I agree up to a point, but you are running a service that the public pay for.

So when a bit of flack comes your way are you surprised?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I know it's the safety aspect and to be honest I agree up to a point, but you are running a service that the public pay for.

So when a bit of flack comes your way are you surprised?

Sure, but unless you think I should accept more money to operate in a less safe and less accessible manner then it's not relevant. And as other posters have said, I think other professions are underpaid rather than us being overpaid but neither is my fault.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here