Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Strange old stage. I was trying to work too, but found it really difficult to follow and keep track of where everyone was. Maybe it was just too much and lacked a real climax? Don't know, what did you make of it?

Exactly as you describe, only worse when watched as highlights. Groups all over the road and very little info on who was where, especially who was being hoovered up from the break. Imagine my surprise then when I saw Ian Boswell come over the line in what turned out to be 3rd place!? :lolol: :bowdown:

Good advert for clean cycling today I think, in terms of who blew up and who was strong. Think my only real big surprise was to see Quintana lose so much time as I thought he finished the Tour fresher than AVV at least. Also quite fancied Ellisonde to possibly do something today as he's been looking good so far, but it wasn't to be. Oh, and chapeau to Fraile for keeping the KoM jersey, I didn't think he'd manage that to be honest.

Poor Froome's leg looked horrendous. Looked almost like he had a deep hole just below his knee. If it was another climbing day tomorrow then I'd say he'd abandon. Still might, but a day for the sprinters might give him a rest enough to see how he goes and have a think about it. Perhaps him and Roche can comfort each other through to the end.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Was surprised that Froome decided to stay on the bike after seeing him hobble away like that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All 3 Grand Tours seem to do this.

They overload 1 stage, hype it up, then watch it fail.
The Vuelta organizers will learn from this then forget everything in 3 years time, and do it all over again.

I think it's Le Tour's turn next, as I seem to remember an equally ridiculous stage in the Giro last year.

I watched it all, throughout the day/evening but like everybody else I wasn't really moved by it.
The main highlight was Oleg going nuts.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
All 3 Grand Tours seem to do this.

They overload 1 stage, hype it up, then watch it fail.
The Vuelta organizers will learn from this then forget everything in 3 years time, and do it all over again.

I think it's Le Tour's turn next, as I seem to remember an equally ridiculous stage in the Giro last year.

I watched it all, throughout the day/evening but like everybody else I wasn't really moved by it.
The main highlight was Oleg going nuts.

Oleg may be everything he's rumoured to be, but he has every right to go nuts if it's true what I heard that Paulinho was knocked off his bike by yet another moto and is a DNF as a result. Even Froome had a few choice words for a moto today and he's generally as mild mannered as it gets. Enough really is enough now surely.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
The way the motorbikes are going this year is crazy. I've never known a year like it.
Are they using more of them?
Getting less qualified (read cheaper) riders?
Are they more powerful/wider and the pilots aren't used to them?

Something has clearly changed this year, for the worse.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The way the motorbikes are going this year is crazy. I've never known a year like it.
Are they using more of them?
Getting less qualified (read cheaper) riders?
Are they more powerful/wider and the pilots aren't used to them?

Something has clearly changed this year, for the worse.

I wonder if the traditional cameraman on a bike is feeling threatened by the ever more exciting footage from on bike go-pro's and such, so are taking more risks to get that 'on the bike with the rider' close up experience? No doubt the motorcycle riders will have producers screaming in their ears 'we need a closer shot, I what you in his face!', rather than, 'back off, give them room, it doesn't matter we're a bit further away with the shot...'.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I wonder if the traditional cameraman on a bike is feeling threatened by the ever more exciting footage from on bike go-pro's and such, so are taking more risks to get that 'on the bike with the rider' close up experience? No doubt the motorcycle riders will have producers screaming in their ears 'we need a closer shot, I what you in his face!', rather than, 'back off, give them room, it doesn't matter we're a bit further away with the shot...'.
Must be either more pressure or less experienced drivers.

Some incidents are neutral service though.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
For the next Geeks Ride, if you get there early, this is pretty much Hamilton's warm up...

[video]https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xlf1/v/t42.1790-2/11959635_981993541865241_11540 92895_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjY2Mi wicmxhIjoyMzg1LCJ2ZW5jb2RlX3Rh ZyI6InJlc180MjZfY3JmXzIzX21haW 5fMy4wX3NkIn0%3D&rl=662&vabr=368&oh=0ffb5a3bfb21a15e6a58586217b 14ed5&oe=55E6E9BF[/video]

I'd love to know what this is, but all I'm getting is a page error at the moment.

That could of course be Bold's point? My warm-up is error strewn.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Funk it, Froome and Satan out of my fantasy team.

I'f I was Satan, I'd have gotten a much bigger fine after he was taken out.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I lost TJVG on stage 8. I feel your pain.

Ha, I'll raise your stage 8. Nibs was out on stage 2.
I've since lost star man Bouhanni too and breakaway maestro Txurrka.
Anyone losing Sagan and Cance only has themselves to blame as they were never planning to ride all 3 weeks anyway.

Ha, I'll raise your stage 8. Nibs was out on stage 2.
I've since lost star man Bouhanni too and breakaway maestro Txurrka.
Anyone losing Sagan and Cance only has themselves to blame as they were never planning to ride all 3 weeks anyway.

:down: What about those of us that picked both? :down:

I don't think anyone has to worry, I have lanterne rouge all sown up. It's a bad sign that Sagan, despite pulling out, is still my top scorer.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
:down: What about those of us that picked both? :down:

I don't think anyone has to worry, I have lanterne rouge all sown up. It's a bad sign that Sagan, despite pulling out, is still my top scorer.

I'm down to 5 in my team - just lost Froome as well! The high of being on top for a couple of days has slowly disappeared as I've started slipping down...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here