Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The worst part about last night

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Incredible words and brought a tear to my eye reading them.

In a game fraught with a lot of bullshit and shitty people out there, Bruno is an absolute credit to the club, the fans, and football as a whole. Absolute hero.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
You see teams like Man City and Chelsea.The utterly disgraceful way they have played this season.Their total lack of effort.The way they escape any kind of punishment and instead it's always the managers who are the scapegoats.You then see players like ours who have given their all this season and cruely missed out on promotion.You see the effort and the passion we played with and you realise there are many stars in the top teams but there are very few heroes.Mainly just a bunch of money grabbing wimps who haven't a clue how to fight for everything on a football pitch.Winners aren't always those who finish first and our players def were winners this season.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Fantastic words that sum up how I'm sure, everyone of us felt. We may not be in the Premier League yet, but we have something worth far more than that going on here!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Wow...just wow.

I lost my mojo with football a while ago and really only saw it return the last few weeks.

Reading the post by the OP, I can understand what he is getting at. I have been a fan of Bruno from the moment he walked in the stadium. I sincerely hope he gets to read the post and he prints it out for posterity!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wow...just wow.

I lost my mojo with football a while ago and really only saw it return the last few weeks.

Reading the post by the OP, I can understand what he is getting at. I have been a fan of Bruno from the moment he walked in the stadium. I sincerely hope he gets to read the post and he prints it out for posterity!

Print it out ?? Should be carved into a piece of granite and concreted into the stadium in a suitable spot

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The dust is just starting to settle. Acceptance and a calm resignation is now replacing heartache and a wild sense of injustice.

Good luck Wednesday. In the football family we all have our moments of euphoria and despair.

Last night was emotional. Friday night was desperately frenetic. Middlesbrough was heart-rending in its injustice. But the strength of our recent history means we truly understand what is important. And this episode will live long in the memory of glorious disappointment.

Something all true football fans grudgingly accept as the flip side to the coin of sweet success and elation.

I've replayed last night over and over again.

The moment that I embarrassingly broke was not the Wednesday equaliser. Or the missed chances. Or the injustice of feeble inept refereeing.

It was the unadulterated shattering image of Bruno lying prostrate and shaking with tears. Consoles by Stockdale.

The man brought home to me what will be the envy of all the premier league football followers dumbed down by Sky. Enticed by the champions league.

We saw a man who has the skill and sublime knowledge of the game, who could have played anywhere in Europe at the highest level but who had chosen our club as his home for the last five years.

We saw him broken. We saw him shattered. We saw him feel, live and suffer our pain as fans.

We had empathy and a common emotion with a man who wanted what we did, as much we did.

For that Bruno Saltor I am forever in your debt.

You epitomised the spirit and attitude of a club that I have loved dearly for decades.

And last night as I watched your shattered body and broken heart collapse to the ground at the final whistle you gave me hope.

Hope for a game that is riddled with deception and fraud.

Because last night we were gladiators and we were warriors.

Congratulations Wednesday. I begrudge their noble fans nothing.

If you love the game and care for the spirit and intent of the game - then last night should and will be seen as seminal moment in the drive to the future.

Thank you Bruno. You owe us nothing. We are in deep gratitude for the love and affection and spirit you and your glorious band of brothers have given us.

Thank you. Thank you.

Best post I've ever read on here. Bruno needs to see it.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Cracking post.
Bruno and Calde have epitomised the spirit and togetherness of our club in recent years.
We're very lucky to have those Spanish boys at our club.

Don't forget Stockdale and Rosenior in that statement. Even though they haven't been here as long as the others they are players who feel the same emotions we do and play with their heart on their sleeve. As rosenior said 'I've only been here 8 or 9 months but it feels like I've been here 8 or 9 years'. In an age of football fame and money our recruitment team has managed to pick up some of the hardest working and dedicated players in the division. I LOVE this team.

Edit: fantastic post by the OP, couldn't agree more. Bruno has given everything this season, I hope he can give one more.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm glad I not the only one who actually REALLY enjoyed last night. Restores my faith in our fanbase - as if it ever went :thumbsup:

Last night was everything I love about football - and that from a fan on the losing side. Since Derby at home I bizarrely felt flat. Predicted we wouldn't do it v Boro or Wednesday, but last night reminded me what a special club I love. Boro was the worst to take, largely because of the obvious injustice of it all. The only thing that makes me gutted is 89 points and no top 2. But nothing will take this season away from me. It's the best set of players we've had and they clearly love the club, have the passion and undoubtedly the drive to succeed. Keep that squad together for a few years I pray Mr Bloom / Hughton - I swear it will go places.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Fantastic words by the OP, the passion generated from the players to the fans last night was truly inspiring and is something we need to remember and bring it out again next season for our assault on the Championship title.

:bhasign:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Sometimes there is a connection between fans and team that we can feel, I hope the players can feel it too, because it was there for me this season, this team feels like "us", more than any side has to me since Mickey Adams League 2 Champions.

"Together" has been an apt Strapline for the club to use, because it really has felt like it.

Next season "Together Again".

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The dust is just starting to settle. Acceptance and a calm resignation is now replacing heartache and a wild sense of injustice.

Good luck Wednesday. In the football family we all have our moments of euphoria and despair.

Last night was emotional. Friday night was desperately frenetic. Middlesbrough was heart-rending in its injustice. But the strength of our recent history means we truly understand what is important. And this episode will live long in the memory of glorious disappointment.

Something all true football fans grudgingly accept as the flip side to the coin of sweet success and elation.

The moment that I embarrassingly broke was not the Wednesday equaliser. Or the missed chances. Or the injustice of feeble inept refereeing.

It was the unadulterated shattering image of Bruno lying prostrate and shaking with tears. Consoles by Stockdale.

The man brought home to me what will be the envy of all the premier league football followers dumbed down by Sky. Enticed by the champions league.

We saw a man who has the skill and sublime knowledge of the game, who could have played anywhere in Europe at the highest level but who had chosen our club as his home for the last five years.

We saw him broken. We saw him shattered. We saw him feel, live and suffer our pain as fans.

We had empathy and a common emotion with a man who wanted what we did, as much we did.

You epitomised the spirit and attitude of a club that I have loved dearly for decades.

And last night as I watched your shattered body and broken heart collapse to the ground at the final whistle you gave me hope.

If you love the game and care for the spirit and intent of the game - then last night should and will be seen as seminal moment in the drive to the future.

Thank you Bruno. You owe us nothing. We are in deep gratitude for the love and affection and spirit you and your glorious band of brothers have given us.

Thank you. Thank you.

Best post I've ever read on NSC. Not afraid to admit my eyes welled up a bit...

We're a diverse bunch us lot, we'll never always agree, but we're drawn together by our love for the mighty Seagulls. I've lived in London for 25 years and catch the train back after every home game. There's a few faces I recognise who I sometimes see on the same journey (pretty arduous if you have work the next morning)... but last night there were a few folk I hadn't seen before, with their Albion beanies and flags... getting off at East Croydon, Blackfriars, Farringdon, St Pancras. All feeling the same. We were magnificent last night, as we have been all season. Just wasn't meant to be. I remember feeling like this after the Blackpool game in 1978. Missed out on promotion on goal difference that year because two other teams stitched up a 0-0 draw. That really was injustice. We finished the following season on exactly the same points, and got promoted.

Here's hoping history repeats itself. In the spirit of the Goldstone, UP THE ALBION!

Last edited:

Spinal Wheels

Apr 9, 2012
Newick

Thank you. Thank you.

One truly excellent post.

I was lucky enough to sit next to Bruno on his table at the recent Awards Dinner. The man is in person an absolute gentleman who has with his whole family totally embraced life in England & Brighton 100% & he gives exactly the same every time he dons a Brighton shirt. To watch his complete commitment to the team & of course his sublime technical ability is worth the entrance fee alone in my opinion.

If ever a man deserved the chance to play in the Premiership at this late stage in his career it has to be Bruno. I could tell from the glow in his eyes some weeks ago that he felt that dream was possibly just about to come a reality & that he was just so very close.

That was why when I saw his tears after the game on Monday my heart really went out for him, as he must have felt his chance may have gone forever. But the man must be the fittest 35 year old I've ever seen, & I still believe & hope more than anything that his dream comes true as no player I've ever seen deserves it more. He's like a fine wine, he gets better with age God bless him.

Last edited:

bigcabboy

Nov 7, 2011

Thank you. Thank you.

what an amazing post that is tear in my eye reading that Bruno has been incredible for us he gives everything and is definetly my favourite albion player theres no reason why he cant have another season in him hes a very fit guy I remember him taking off his shirt at mk dons few weeks ago and hes incredibly fit

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Sign him for 1 more season. Are you mad?

I used to follow Gordon Stachan with interest as he was older than me and still playing top level football. He didn't hang up his boots until he was 40. A new long term contract for Bruno please.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
On the other hand, Hughton may have to do a bit of work repairing players mentally. They're clearly all physically and, perhaps more importantly, emotionally shattered after last night. However, if that's shaped in the right way, and I think Hughton is capable of that, then we'll have a team who will run through walls if that's what's required. Take the hurt, take the pain, and hone it into a driving force; it'll motivate players far beyond the promises of riches or glory. That, more than anything else, is the reason that Bruno has to stay next season. Given how he played this season, can you imagine how much further he can go with that pushing him on, how he'll use that fire to motivate and lead the team on the pitch?

Don't worry about mental regrouping. Professional footballers are, by nature, pretty strong mentally. From an early age they have to compete with hundreds and thousands of their peer group, many as talented, some more so. Many have to cope with early rejection, for whatever reason, often size. They keep going in their relentless desire to achieve their goal and prove others wrong. They may not be as talented as some others but their will is stronger. They know that life ahead won't be a bed of roses. They know they will have to accept public criticism and public acclaim in equal measure. They are, by and large, strong characters.
You don't always get your just reward in life. It can be cruel at times. There is an element of luck involved in everything we do. All we as fans hope for, is to support a team that leaves everything on the pitch and can give no more. There is no better bench mark for a manager than to see the character of his players and CH has moulded a group together that fight for each other and have a remarkable team spirit.
These players are like us at the moment, raw and disappointed but also immensely proud at the remarkable strides they have taken. They will take a well deserved break now and come back mentally and physically refreshed. These aren't scars they have suffered. In the whole scheme of things, they are scratches and scratches heal. The OP has encapsulated how many of us feel and how Bruno Saltor epitomises everything we love about this great club of ours. He may have been shattered at the final whistle but that was understandable after 9 months of unbridled effort and very nearly achieving an incredible goal. He will bounce back and so will everyone else. Even more determined than before and if there is any justice in football, he will be helping to lift that Championship trophy next May.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm another NSCer tipping his hat to that magnificent post, and absolutely delighted that the man himself will get to read it.

Bruno's legacy will live long after he's left the club (if indeed that ever happens) and the same goes for Calde. These people are just a joyous reminder of what the game should be all about. They play with smiles on their faces, and their conduct on and off the pitch shows that they appreciate what they have. I'm in awe of Bruno.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here