Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Pretentious Pub Food

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ridiculous, the dishes you mention may be great for a fine dining restaurant, but not a pub! What's wrong with traditional pub classics like sausage & mash, liver & bacon?, steak & kidney pussing?, cod & chips, etc. etc?

I guess the owners just feel that they can charge more for these ridiculous menu's, but I know which l would prefer to eat!

Steak and Kidney pussing sounds a bit pretentious to be fair.

Would be good if we could get, say, some views from the trade. Anyone know of, perhaps, any ex-landlords on here that are prepared to give a balanced opinion on things, using the benefit of their very wide experience ?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Name and shame.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
On August Bank Holiday weekend our daughter has invited me and Mrs.El Pu for a friends and family lunch at a New Forest pub - she and the rest of the family are camping in the Forest, by the way.

As there are going to be a load of us in the party we have to give our choice of meal in advance - fair enough. So I went on-line to check out what’s on offer on the menu. Well you could have strangled me with a half n’ half scarf. Whoever is running the establishment is suffering from a severe bout of Heston Blumenthal-itis.

This is a sample of the pretentious, poncy descriptions from the menu :

Home made flowerpot bread - Chef’s recipe baked in a flower pot. Please ask a member of staff for today’s flavour.

Jelly and ice cream - smoked duck, caramelised ice cream, baby orange and port jelly.

Pea and pepper risotto - slowly roasted balsamic baby tomatoes and carrot fluff.

And this one is my favourite : Slowly braised lamb shoulder and potatoes - In has el hanout on toasted egg plant with confit of lemon and pickled lotus root.

Of course there many, many more gems on the menu, all equally descriptive. But when all is said and done it’s a pub FFS!! God knows what they describe a packet of cheese and onion crisps as. :eek:

Is that the Pig in Brockenhurst?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Steak and Kidney pussing sounds a bit pretentious to be fair.

Would be good if we could get, say, some views from the trade. Anyone know of, perhaps, any ex-landlords on here that are prepared to give a balanced opinion on things, using the benefit of their very wide experience ?

BG where are you when we need you?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
On August Bank Holiday weekend our daughter has invited me and Mrs.El Pu for a friends and family lunch at a New Forest pub - she and the rest of the family are camping in the Forest, by the way.

As there are going to be a load of us in the party we have to give our choice of meal in advance - fair enough. So I went on-line to check out what’s on offer on the menu. Well you could have strangled me with a half n’ half scarf. Whoever is running the establishment is suffering from a severe bout of Heston Blumenthal-itis.

Home made flowerpot bread - Chef’s recipe baked in a flower pot. Please ask a member of staff for today’s flavour.

Jelly and ice cream - smoked duck, caramelised ice cream, baby orange and port jelly.

Pea and pepper risotto - slowly roasted balsamic baby tomatoes and carrot fluff.

And this one is my favourite : Slowly braised lamb shoulder and potatoes - In has el hanout on toasted egg plant with confit of lemon and pickled lotus root.

Of course there many, many more gems on the menu, all equally descriptive. But when all is said and done it’s a pub FFS!! God knows what they describe a packet of cheese and onion crisps as. :eek:

You went to the Three Tun’s in Bransgore then? :D

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is that the Pig in Brockenhurst?

Some stuff from their website:

The kitchen is overseen by Chef James Golding whose two key lieutenants aren't their sous chefs but forager and kitchen gardener.

Uncomplicated and simple British garden food, true to the micro seasons and influenced by the forest and coast, with the emphasis squarely on fresh, clean flavours.

Our menu changes by the minute depending on what the forager finds or the kitchen gardener deems to be in perfect condition - this is a genuine way of running our kitchen.

Maybe McDonald's or KFC should recruit a forager?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I got annoyed with those master chef programmes where they wheel in some very pretentious people who then turn their noses up at the food. Half the world is starving and they are generally talking about fine margins of flavour.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Clearly trying to keep the plebs like you away :shrug:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BG where are you when we need you?

Just a sign of the times as the new breed of cookery experts, brought about by TV chefs has brought about this pretentious approach to cooking and simple dishes are now described in flowery terms. Even fish and chips are now described as being in Taylors Landlord Beer Batter, or whatever beer, and adds £2 to the price.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Sorry, but what ****ing country do we live in?!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here