Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Re-reading X-Ray by Ray Davies following trip to see Sunny Afternoon at Pinter Theatre London.

I saw that last week - it was v v good.

In fact I think it's one of the best shows of its type that I've ever seen!

I didn't know Ray had written an autobiography, I'll check it out - thanks.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I saw that last week - it was v v good.

In fact I think it's one of the best shows of its type that I've ever seen!

I didn't know Ray had written an autobiography, I'll check it out - thanks.

More recently he brought out a second book called Americana. I didn't buy it at the time because I thought it covered more recent times, however I now think he may cover the issues he faced there in the 60s, so I might get hold of it.

Jolene81

Jan 28, 2014
Worthing
I am about to begin The Bat. The first of the Harry Hole novels by Jo Nesbo.

Loved the Harry Hole series of books. Think a few more have been released since I read them so might have to download them now you have reminded me

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Currently on Sometimes A Great Notion by Ken Kesey. About a logging strike in Oregon and the friction it causes amongst those involved. I was initially skeptical but am now rather enjoying it.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
I am pilgrim . Amazing book about a special ops guy and a terrorist. The later delivers a strain of smallpox to kill off the US population.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Just purchased via the 'Amazon' link at the top of the board about Mark Owen, who was one of the Navy Seal team 6 who was on the raid that killed Osma Bin Larden

510z5i3CgTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Also bought his latest one where he was on the operation that saved Captain Richard Phillips from Somali pirates and other missions.

51l7TpfhsXL._AA160_.jpg

[yt]djCuC5E32bM[/yt]

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Just picked up Railway man by Eric Lomax

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Be interesting to see how long it takes people to read book.

Say a normal paperback 300 page book?

Jolene81

Jan 28, 2014
Worthing
Be interesting to see how long it takes people to read book.

Say a normal paperback 300 page book?

I can read a book in less than a day/night if I'm really into it. Other times it can take me a few days. I won't start a new book until I have finished what I'm currently reading, unless it's really rubbish.

I have read 112 books this year so far lol I don't watch much television

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
More recently he brought out a second book called Americana. I didn't buy it at the time because I thought it covered more recent times, however I now think he may cover the issues he faced there in the 60s, so I might get hold of it.

He used this book as the basis for a series of gigs earlier this year, we went to the one in Bexhill - a bit weird tbh!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sense & Sensibility.

Working my way through the Austen collection.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung

It's a first hand story written by a woman who was five and living in Phnom Penh when the Khmar Rouge took control of Cambodia. It's not an easy read but having being to Cambodia recently and found out a bit about the Khmar Rouge genocide, it's something I'd like to learn more about.

Jolene81

Jan 28, 2014
Worthing
Just started reading the new book in the Jack Reacher series. Feeling a little disappointed by it at the moment. Hope it improves as it goes on

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I have read 112 books this year so far lol I don't watch much television

Same here re: reading over TV. You never lose yourself in television the way you can lose yourself in a book. With TV your mind just uses it as a vehicle to keep on thinking about day to day things, worries, to do lists etc. while you stare at a screen, whereas reading can bypass all the junk floating around in your head. There is a stat about how people who read regularly get better paid jobs, perform better, are more focused etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here