Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brazil, striker signs for Albion

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have never met anybody either at a game or locally who is remotely interested in the womens team even to the extent of knowing their resuklts yet alone watching them. Perhaps I live a sheltered life.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At the most it will be a passing interest when they show it on the big screens prematch but not enough to make me consider going to a game as I watched an England game on TV and considered the standard very poor.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I am a bit intrigued by the women’s setup. Do they earn much money? Presumably we have to pay for them to live locally etc etc etc. Is there that much money in the women’s game that can justify all this international globetrotting?

They are full-time professionals, so they must be earning enough to live on, but with the exception of the real top players you would imagine they are paid similarly to League 2/National League players. The crowds seem to be low but I would think the broadcasting rights for the top level of womens football would exceed those for League 2/National League. The top PL clubs with all the money at their disposal, seem to be investing heavily in their womens' teams (as evidenced by the improving performances in Womens Champions League, and the growing international representation in the English league).

I would think though for example Eni Aluko, who is a highly accomplished international, would be earning a small fraction of what her brother Sone is earning as a Championship plodder.

But then it is all something of a work in progress. The main benefit as I see it is that nowadays, when you take your daughter to a match and she says to you "Dad, when I grow up I want to be a professional footballer", you can say "Fantastic, we'll sign you up to a girls team, and if you work hard one day you can play for Brighton!" and have it be a legitimate career option.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Is anybody interested in who signs for the womens team?

I have never met anybody either at a game or locally who is remotely interested in the womens team even to the extent of knowing their resuklts yet alone watching them. Perhaps I live a sheltered life.

At the most it will be a passing interest when they show it on the big screens prematch but not enough to make me consider going to a game as I watched an England game on TV and considered the standard very poor.

Yeah, OK, we get the point!

But hey – why use one post when three will do...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I know someone who’s very enthusiastic about the women’s team. However, he’s a sex pest, so probably has ulterior motives.

I watch and support England women when they’re in the World Cup, but only in the same way that I’ll wholeheartedly support a British team or athlete competing in an Olympic sport that I barely know the rules to. I can’t see myself ever getting that excited about women’s football or even caring what league Brighton’s team are in next season.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Maybe it's a sheltered life. Possibly its sexist ignorance.

I was involved in womens football way back in the 1980s. Back then, leagues were regionalised and the WFA Cup was the only national competition. Many womens teams back then were, for want of a better phrase, "pub teams" and there was a vast disparity in standards between clubs in the same region / league. ( I recall Shoreham Ladies handing out a 42-0 thrashing to Durrington Giants!).

Back in those dark days, most men had the same attitude to you towards womens football. None of the teams when I set out had any association with professional clubs; the FA had the same outdated attitude as you have.

The womens game has developed and improved out of all recognition. Fulltime contracts, and the link-up with professional clubs, mean that women can now dedicate all of their time to refining their skills and a consequential improvement in physical fitness.

Crowds are growing every year both for League games and International matches so obviously there are people interested in womens sport in general, and football in particular.

(Although why BHAFC Ladies FC have been consigned to the dustbin of Crawley baffles me)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
(Although why BHAFC Ladies FC have been consigned to the dustbin of Crawley baffles me)

The reasoning for that is no secret. The rules for the league they are going to be playing in, dictate that the matches must be played at a ground with a minimum capacity criteria, which the Lancing training ground does not meet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here