Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Jason Gillespie appointed Sussex head coach

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Way better appointment as Head Coach than I was expecting.

A proven coach who knows the CC and who won't see Sussex through the prism of their time as a player. Huge step in the right direction.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Great appointment for our young fast bowlers. Hopefully he’ll be able to attract a couple of hard as nails Aussie batsmen down to Hove.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Wow!! Did not see that coming in a million years, what a statement!

As someone who is in the Adams/Prior crowd, this is way better than I could ever have expected but I still think it's shame that we can't find a role for two batsmen with such vast experience and love for the club, particularly when batting has been our main weakness.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Right-armer Gillespie took 259 wickets at an average of 26.13 in 71 Tests for Australia between 1996 and 2006, and joined Yorkshire as first-team coach ahead of the 2012 season.

Yorkshire lost only seven Championship matches during his five seasons at Headingley, leading them from the second tier to consecutive titles before departing at the end of the 2016 campaign.

In May 2015, Gillespie held talks with England's director of cricket Andrew Strauss about replacing the sacked Peter Moores as national coach, but the role eventually went to fellow Australian Trevor Bayliss.

Gillespie has also coached the Adelaide Strikers in the Big Bash League, Australia's domestic Twenty20 competition, for the past two seasons.

"I know that there is some excitement around the capabilities of the current playing group," he said.

"I look forward to getting over there and playing my role in helping Sussex achieve its on and off-field goals for 2018 and beyond."

Can Sussex match Yorkshire budget ? They have huge debts.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Blimey, he was quick off the mark there - he's not always that punctual :lolol:

Anyone seen the interview with Rob Andrew?

He began several sentences with "Look". So it seems that Dizzy is already having an influence

Wasn't he chucked out of Yorks when Dizzy was there ?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Of course, as much as people knock the alternative nature of our splendid town it may have just made up Dizzy's mind...

He's vegan.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Way better appointment as Head Coach than I was expecting.

A proven coach who knows the CC and who won't see Sussex through the prism of their time as a player. Huge step in the right direction.

Dump T20 and one day,play the youth in those. Just out off D2.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Delighted to have a coach of Gillespie's calibre.
Feel a little sorry for Chris Adams, who touted himself again, as he did a couple of years ago when Davies was appointed. He clearly loves the club, and I thought he would be considered.
Andrews said something last week about not dwelling on the past, so hopefully Dizzy can usher in a new golden era.

I’m a big Chris adams fan but Gillespie is in a different league. I don’t think Chris will ever get the job now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here