Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] The Lion King Musical

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If you want overrated crap, go and see Book of Mormon. A huge disappointment.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Saw it years ago and it was so boring I fell asleep. #teamSHIT

And I love a West End show. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Chicargo and Starlight Express were all brilliant. As was We Will Rock You.

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The reasons that I would not go to The Lion King are threefold.
1. I am highly allergic to some animals and I dare not take the risk.
2. That smell you get from the big cats in a zoo especially on a hot day is disgusting, does The Lyceum have adequate air extraction?
3. Can't abide wild animals trained to perform unnatural acts, it's cruelty and quite frankly it's shocking that this production is allowed.
I would be happier if it was a production of Born Free but the above would still apply.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is Arsene Wenger still in it?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Saw it twice YEARS ago. Loved it.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Haven't seen Aladdin. But have to agree about Half A Sixpence. Might be old school style but some of the set pieces in that are the best I've ever seen. Energy, timing, almost annoyingly catchy & an amazing cast.

The only negative I'd say about it is that it was better in Chichester than in London. The set and set pieces just felt more organic at Chichester. Still, it's wonderful if you like musical theatre.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Talking of West End disappointments... the other biggest disappointment for me was War Horse. Technically it was superb, but it felt devoid of any emotion and they missed a large chunk of the storyline out which jarred the whole experience for me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Mate of mine treated his missus to Lion King tickets last Friday night via viagogo. Or at least tried to. Tickets were fake and they got turned away at the door. Not nice.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Talking of West End disappointments... the other biggest disappointment for me was War Horse. Technically it was superb, but it felt devoid of any emotion and they missed a large chunk of the storyline out which jarred the whole experience for me.

Wow, it had me in tears and everyone around me too.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Saw this a few years ago at the Lyceum. Thought it was absolutely superb, some of the cleverest set design I've ever seen, and the music is stunning. Shadowlands is a tune.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This sort of thing can be subjective though. Years ago I bought tickets to the Royal Opera House to watch La Fille du régiment. Admittedly we didn't really know what to expect, but thought it would be a nice experience and a bit of 'culture'. How wrong I was. From the moment we arrived – way before the start, but with everyone already in their seats – it was a disaster. Once the thing got underway people around us seemed to be guffawing at everything but, even with the subtitles on a screen, we just didn't get what all the fuss was about. This carried on for a while, we kinda kept up with the storyline but were a bit bored, to be honest and it was quite clear we didn't really fit in with those around who us who were STILL banging on about how we arrived late (even though we WEREN'T late).

We did one at the interval – passing those who were tucking into their crustless cucumber sandwiches in the process – and retreated to the boozer across the road for a well-earned pint or five.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Wow, it had me in tears and everyone around me too.

Strange isn’t it. When I went it was a really surreal atmosphere. It got a standing ovation from about half the audience, and the other half weren’t clapping and were looking around in bewilderment that these people were cheering. I saw it with five people - four of us thought it was soulless and the other person thought it was the best thing they’d ever seen.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
This sort of thing can be subjective though. Years ago I bought tickets to the Royal Opera House to watch La Fille du régiment. Admittedly we didn't really know what to expect, but thought it would be a nice experience and a bit of 'culture'. How wrong I was. From the moment we arrived – way before the start, but with everyone already in their seats – it was a disaster. Once the thing got underway people around us seemed to be guffawing at everything but, even with the subtitles on a screen, we just didn't get what all the fuss was about. This carried on for a while, we kinda kept up with the storyline but were a bit bored, to be honest and it was quite clear we didn't really fit in with those around who us who were STILL banging on about how we arrived late (even though we WEREN'T late).

We did one at the interval – passing those who were tucking into their crustless cucumber sandwiches in the process – and retreated to the boozer across the road for a well-earned pint or five.

Did you confuse the bell at the bar for last orders and those khazis they ain't half posh.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

The book was captured better with the film, the stage show was technically brilliant but did not have the emotional punch the film did for me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here