Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'll be there so if any other NSCers can drag themselves out of bed for the hardest course in the worst possible conditions say hello. I'll be in a yellow T shirt (probably cursing my lack of long sleeve running clothing).

Suns out now, I’m quite jealous. Looking forward to the post run and breakfast report later today.

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
I've wimped out of Bev - a rare lie-in under a warm duvet won out after one to many beers last night.

Am eagerly awaiting reports ...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Tough morning at Bevendean mixing it with tough guys in tough conditions. Good NSC turn out. Managed to follow home [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] with [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] hot on my heels. Still awaiting times.

Learnt a few things.
The C Badger is going to improve a lot over the next 12 months.
Don't hang around in a howling wind in a wet shirt for half an hour. I'm still shivering.
Don't wind up Dave the Vegan when him and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] have boxed you in running up the hill (I managed to survive).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Newcastle parkrun for me, awaiting official results but 19:16 and 30th out of approximately 700. I was reasonably happy, I couldn't really open up fully because of my minor leg issue after the cycling incident on thursday, but I was happy enough. Really good course, loads of volunteers and a lot of pace throughout the field.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
12th,13th and 14th for @PH, @K1 and @ TCB. In 23:36, 23:38 and 23:41.

Although we were closing on the Harmonica we couldn't get close enough.........He wins the challenge as [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] turned up too early, for once, and was far too quick anyway.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Tough morning at Bevendean mixing it with tough guys in tough conditions. Good NSC turn out. Managed to follow home [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] with [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] hot on my heels. Still awaiting times.

Learnt a few things.
The C Badger is going to improve a lot over the next 12 months.
Don't hang around in a howling wind in a wet shirt for half an hour. I'm still shivering.
Don't wind up Dave the Vegan when him and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] have boxed you in running up the hill (I managed to survive).

Good NSC turn out to meet brian. Was like running through an automated car wash and felt super clean and blow dried at the finish. Good to meet [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] ( good luck tomorrow)

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
22:28 at Hackney Marshes PR this morning. Lovely bright windy day - flat course with great views. Still a bit hungover from last night's West Ham massacre, and went off far too fast, and then couldn't keep the pace. Really enjoying linking up Albion away days with Parkruns. Three so far this season

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great to meet some of you guys this morning. I really enjoyed it, despite the conditions. I don’t know why but I like the slightly hillier courses, even though times inevitably suffer compared to my usual Worthing PB paradise.

My lack of pacing and hills experience cost me against two better runners in [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=11716]penny’s harmonica[/MENTION] at the end. I certainly wasn’t threatening an overtake, I was just aiming to maintain the gap over the last few hundred metres as there were some strong finishes going on in front of me. So the lesson of the day is that I am a bit of a flat track bully! But a 23:41 is better than my last Bevendean attempt of 24:24 about six weeks ago so I’m happy with that.

I’m definitely up for another NSC Parkrun in November or December if anyone is keen.

Good to meet you too. I'll be up for November 4th or 11th for a flat track Parkrun. Maybe Worthing? and Hove Prom Birthday next week and will be aiming for the Silver Age Grade League table position. Not sure of form as today's time 30 secs off time expected but not sure if weather helped or hindered.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Afternoon all. Long time no post....

How soon after taking NSAIDs would you go back to running? I've been away on holiday and completed a course of Naproxin for a neck & back problem yesterday. The combination of rest and anti inflammatory drugs seems to have fixed my leg problems as well as my back & neck but I don't want mucked up kidneys as a replacement. Was thinking of a short easy run on Wednesday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Afternoon all. Long time no post....

How soon after taking NSAIDs would you go back to running? I've been away on holiday and completed a course of Naproxin for a neck & back problem yesterday. The combination of rest and anti inflammatory drugs seems to have fixed my leg problems as well as my back & neck but I don't want mucked up kidneys as a replacement. Was thinking of a short easy run on Wednesday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of your system pretty quickly - unless you’re running to the point where you’re risking serious dehydration you should be fine. The dangers are more at the longer end of the running spectrum based on what I’ve read. Gently gently on the comeback, good luck !

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Great South Run for me today. It was a good and enjoyable experience at a big event and I beat my target of sub-80 minutes with a time of 1:17:11. As it was my first 10 mile race that is obviously a PB.

However, this is not the event for great times. There is a huge number of runners and at times the course is too narrow to take them all, while one or two congested corners brought me to not much above walking pace, losing vital seconds. There was also a headwind for the last 3km. Plus, my watch ALWAYS records runs as below the advertised distance. It tracks all my Parkruns as 4.96km and my HM was 20.9km. But today it came in above distance at 16.27km, which is because I spent most of the first half zig zagging across the course to pass a huge number of people. And I started roughly where I should, which suggests a lot of people started far ahead of their ability. I now know how Lewis feels when he starts his Mercedes from the back of the grid, even if in running terms I’m more of a Williams.

So a good day, my first taste of a big event and I’m happy with the time. But it’s left me wanting to do a much smaller 10 miler as I think I could have a crack at 1:15:00.

Well done. I think I heard somewhere that it's the biggest 10 mile event in the world. That headwind must have made it tough. I slogged up and down Worthing prom today - 21 miles, 10.5 of which were very tough thanks to the legacy of Storm Brian. This meant that although I was miserly 1 minute quicker than my last effort on the previous time I did exactly the same run, I walked a bit that time. The implication is that my running is now as slow as my walking!
By the way if you are looking for a flat 10 mile before Xmas for that PB then Hayling Island is worth a try. But, guess what, it can get mighty windy...................

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great South Run for me today. It was a good and enjoyable experience at a big event and I beat my target of sub-80 minutes with a time of 1:17:11. As it was my first 10 mile race that is obviously a PB.

However, this is not the event for great times. There is a huge number of runners and at times the course is too narrow to take them all, while one or two congested corners brought me to not much above walking pace, losing vital seconds. There was also a headwind for the last 3km. Plus, my watch ALWAYS records runs as below the advertised distance. It tracks all my Parkruns as 4.96km and my HM was 20.9km. But today it came in above distance at 16.27km, which is because I spent most of the first half zig zagging across the course to pass a huge number of people. And I started roughly where I should, which suggests a lot of people started far ahead of their ability. I now know how Lewis feels when he starts his Mercedes from the back of the grid, even if in running terms I’m more of a Williams.

So a good day, my first taste of a big event and I’m happy with the time. But it’s left me wanting to do a much smaller 10 miler as I think I could have a crack at 1:15:00.

Great running in tough conditions – today AND yesterday (good to meet you, sorry I couldn't hang around). Bevendean was tough and I wasn't really feeling it – although the rush to the start line didn't help. Didn't drag myself out of bed this morning either as planned, which is pretty rare for me on a Sunday morning.

Definitely lacking a bit of running mojo for some reason, but I'm hoping/guessing Beachy next Saturday will knock that out of my system.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
November 11th is my sub 18 target run so that would be an ideal one for a fast course and an NSC parkrun championship!

Despite the official time of 19:17 on saturday, the fact that it's my first ever run of 10 straight parkruns is the positive for me. 30 for the year, having only managed 14 in 3 years previously. My long steady run in Newcastle today was replaced by getting hammered this afternoon, so tomorrow's session will be fun!

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Anyone ever had peroneal tendonitis?

I have self diagnosed myself with it after running a marathon last weekend. I'll probably see a physiological in the next few weeks if it's not disappeared but Id be interested to know if anyone has suffered with this (especially from running) and your experience of recovery time etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here