Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player of the season discussion

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Who actually casts a vote though? Kids probably do ..

I'm not convinced about this, kids will tend to vote for attacking players but, if you look back at past winners, the flair players don't tend to win it - Peter Ward was here for four seasons and didn't win it, nor did Gotsmanov, Vicente or Worthington, the three flairiest players I've seen here. In the past 15 years, players like Greer, Bridcutt, Upson, Butters, McShane, Whing have won it.

I'm not saying the Knockaert won't win it - it's a tough call this year - but I don't think it's true to say that he's got it sewn up. My guess as to who will win it is Dunk, but have nothing but gut feeling to go on

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If we assume Knockaert will win, Player of the Season

Can I respectfully ask whomever is deliberating the MotM award v Bristol City, irrespective as to how the game goes, they give that match award to Stockdale.

To my knowledge he's never received such an accolade, which after the last 2 seasons is a pretty poor show.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Clean sheets get you one point. Goals get you three.
Murray for me for the quality of so many of his goals. Bobby was clinical with his feet. Leo with his head. But nobody we have had up front since Murray left could get close to scoring so many of those goals.

And I missed last weeks thread as well. Did it really exist?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Clean sheets get you one point. Goals get you three.

Last season we were the top scoring team in the division, but missed out on promotion because we conceded more than Middlesboro...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Arguing over a football cliche, good work everyone.

Personally I like former Preston and Liverpool man, Mark "Lawro" Lawrenson's cliche - goals win you games, clean sheets win you titles.

Fingers crossed eh?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah do you know what - I think Stockdale should win the ****ing thing.

That string of penalty saves was obscenely filthy. He's utterly TALISMANIC. He's marshalled the meanest defence in the entire league. And he will also be the first person to say "This isn't for me - the whole team won this."

Loads of others could deserve it, but my heart lies with Stockers for this one.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

That string of penalty saves was obscenely filthy. He's utterly TALISMANIC. He's marshalled the meanest defence in the entire league. And he will also be the first person to say "This isn't for me - the whole team won this."

Spot on

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

That. You've convinced me.

#VoteStockers

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
We've had so many stand out performers that this is going to be more difficult than ever. Just a month to go now, who stands out?

I really am not going to complain at any of the regular starters at all - Hemed, Murphy, Skalak, Rosenior, Bong, Kayal, Sidwell - all absolutely superb, and all would walk into at least 20 starting XI this season I should think.

Stephens - has made us tick all season. If we go up, please Albion, get him signed up. He will be so difficult to replace.
Bruno - how can you not love this man? He oozes class. Make him club captain even if he is only cover in the division above.
Dunk - still has a lot to learn about self discipline but let's not underestimate his worth to this team. Consistently good performer all season, just like the previous five.
Duffy - who'd have thought he'd be so imperious after the first few games of the season for Blackburn and then us? What an upgrade. £4.5m very well spent, at a time when most fans were scratching their heads wondering why we needed to spend that sort of money in an area we had cover
March - what a prospect Solly is - just a joy to watch. He will play for England next season or the season after IMO, because he WILL do it at the highest level in the land.
Knocky - we've run out of superlatives for this guy. On his day, simply unplayable; and his day comes round pretty regularly. I think that covers it.

But here is my top three. Knocky would have been in there if his away form was marginally better:
3. Murray. Where would we be without his goals? Where would we be if Gus hadn't put his foot down over Murray's now proven justifiable wage demands? A Premier league striker who loves being here. There is nothing spectacular about Murray, he just holds the ball up brilliantly, and knows where the goal is. Everything you want in a striker. I loved Gus but watching Murray do in the Championship what we all saw he did for Gus in League One just boils my piss. Great player, great for us.
2. Stockdale. I reckon the number of his clangers over the entire season can be counted on one hand and we all know he has saved us many MANY points with some superb displays. Rumour has it Sir Chris isn't entirely convinced by him at the top level, but nevertheless it's hard to see Albion parting with him after a season like this one. This season, he has been the best keeper I've ever seen at the club.
1. Baldock. I've followed this club since 1978 and I can honestly say I've NEVER seen a player improve so much in a year and I don't think I ever will. This season he has just been magnificent. I spent all of last season trying to convince people on here he was the best forward we've ever had off the ball. I don't think anyone disagrees with that anymore, but this season his all round forward play has been almost perfect. He has taken chance after chance, and his montage of goals this season will be worth watching over and over again. And most of the goals he gets are important ones - not the third of four or whatever. His openers against Fulham and QPR both stand out as much as his wonderful off the ball running that creates space for others and are the main reason Murray and Knocky have scored so many.

You could argue that Murray has done very little away from home. How many goals has he scored away from the Amex? Knockaert will be POTS and deservedly so.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
[tweet]849193283456835584[/tweet]

Whilst undeniably impressive, someone like Tom Ince for example is not far behind that (13 goals 5 assists) and Derby are 10th.

Knocky will win Championship Player of the season I think, we should give the club one to Stockdale who has turned crucial games on their heads.

Dunk, Stephens, Murray and even Duffy all worth mentioning also.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Personally I'd vote for Baldock, however, as he's unlikely to win it from Knockaert, Murray, Dunk or Stockdale I'll go for the keeper, he's been quite magnificent this season, that string of penalty saves was absurd.

batch_91

Jul 14, 2012
Sheffield/Portslade
Baldock for me.

I said at the start of the season that I admired his contribution to the team but can a side get promoted carrying a striker that only scores 5 goals a season. More than happy to be eating my words, I think he is the player that we miss the most.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Whilst undeniably impressive, someone like Tom Ince for example is not far behind that (13 goals 5 assists) and Derby are 10th.

Knocky will win Championship Player of the season I think, we should give the club one to Stockdale who has turned crucial games on their heads.

Dunk, Stephens, Murray and even Duffy all worth mentioning also.

Ince's stats are irrelevant to this vote. Yes, I was tempted to vote for Stockdale for his clean sheets and penalty saves, but Knocky just tipped the balance for me. I only have one vote, you use yours as you see fit.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Really? I think it's 100% majorly odds on to be Knockeart, which is partially why I'm going to vote for someone else, love him though I do.

I don't think it's odds-on that anyone will get it, for the reasons that have been well elaborated on this thread. But, I actually think that if anyone is favourite it won't be Knockaert, because previous votes indicate that it's actually consistency (which is an attribute not normally identified by kids, [MENTION=29900]Exile[/MENTION]) that tends to be most valued. And consistency points to a defender or defensive minded player (e.g. Bridcutt x2, Upson, etc -- and probably Calderon, but he was in all likelihood selected for his inspirational qualities rather than consistency).

Edit: just seen the contribution from [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION], which is saying the same as me, but probably with a tad more eloquence.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Like many others, this guy gets my vote (for the second season in a row).

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Between Stockdale (due to his absolute reliability at the back and some incredibly classy stops on top) and Bruno (again, absolutely reliable time after time and our attack suffers imo whenever he is absent. Plus he is my surrogate Calde). Baldock definitely a very honourable mention but doesn't quite edge into the top position (at least, for this season).

I actually don't think there should be an individual Player of the Season award this year. On the nameboard, where it says "Player of The Season, 2016-17" it should just say "All of them"

EDIT: And like Simster, I hadn't see a previous thread on this subject.
This, however, is also a very good idea :thumbsup:

And I didn't see a previous thread either, I don't think.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here