Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Nelson Mandela

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
RIP to a humble and inspiring colossus of a man.

I visited Soweto 10 years ago and saw where Nelson, Winnie and Desmond Tutu used to live prior to NM's incarceration. It was still a dreadful place where the benefits of the end of apartheid had yet to reach. I fear that Mandela's passing will be the powder keg which re-ignites old scores which could not be settled while he was alive. Hope I'm wrong.

I was in Soweto in May this year and stood in the very house where he lived with his first wife and young daughters when the ANC uprising first begun. I visited the apartheid museum which was culturally educational beyond compare. In 2007 I visited the prison he was last held captive in and the long drive that he "walked to freedom" down.

For me he was a leader in the Gandhi mold, changing the lives of an entire nation. His work is not yet complete as the RSA still has many problems to resolve under the ANC government, but his legacy will live on, I have no doubts.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Rest in Peace, you were a great man, for your ability to reconcile, to find forgiveness and equally for your determination to fight for your rights and the way you led you people during difficult times

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I am about to fly out to Cape Town for Christmas and look forward even more to being involved in the celebration of this great mans life!

:bowdown:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There are moments in life when you stop and think. Mandela's death has had that effect on me. It's bought back huge memories of all the news reports of the struggle and the wasted years as South Africans struggled with apartheid.

What a great man he was. What an example to us all.

I still remember vividly the news reports on the day he was released, and the pictures of his long walk away from the prison up to where everyone was waiting. It ranked alongside the Berlin Wall stuff for me.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Decent that he admits to his own failings as a politician.

Never could see Cameron, Blair or Bush ever holding their hands up.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Decent that he admits to his own failings as a politician.

Never could see Cameron, Blair or Bush ever holding their hands up.

Don't even compare those 3 to such a great man. Blair and Bush went looking for war - I'll spare Cameron this charge - whilst Mandela went looking for reconciliation and peace.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Don't even compare those 3 to such a great man. Blair and Bush went looking for war - I'll spare Cameron this charge - whilst Mandela went looking for reconciliation and peace.

Hard to think of anyone to compare him to. Maybe Gandhi. Those names above were the most recent big names I can think (all deplorable).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here