Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A question about Hereford

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I wasn't there, I was stuck in my basement in Canada. I'd bought a shortwave radio in the hope of getting some info from the World Service but all they talked about if I remember correctly was snooker and showjumping. Grrr. The internet was pretty useless back then for things like scores. I had the BBC page open but it was very slow at updating, but it did have a ticker running along the bottom for the latest scores. The main page said it was still 1-0 but I thought I caught sight of the score on the ticker and it said 1-1. I refused to believe it until the main page was updated several minutes later. After that I couldn't contain myself any more and phoned my brother in Hastings and got him to put his phone by the radio. It cost quite a bit back then to phone Blighty but it was so worth it. I probably cried that day.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Bought my ticket over the phone weeks before for the normal away section to the left behind the goal as you look at the pitch. Hereford were kind enough to give us the entire end, which was why there was that fence running down the centre of the section that a load of people were sitting on, but were 'politely' asked to come off of as it was obstructing the view for everyone whenever the ball was on the opposite side.

Memory of the goal was being really annoyed at Maskel hitting a tame speculative shot, which I was sure the keeper would save as I saw it loop out of sight behind the crowds at the front. I couldn't see where the ball was, and it was only when I saw Ian Baird baring down on goal that I realised it had been deflected back in play, by either the post or keeper. The next moment the net was bulging, everyone in that ridiculously shallow terracing was going mental and Bairdy was wheeling away in celebration - I was convinced it was him that had scored the rebound and had no idea it had deflected out to Reinelt on the other side of the goal.

Surely someone else must've seen (or not seen as was the case) the most important goal in our history the same way that I did?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Bought my ticket over the phone weeks before for the normal away section to the left behind the goal as you look at the pitch. Hereford were kind enough to give us the entire end, which was why there was that fence running down the centre of the section that a load of people were sitting on, but were 'politely' asked to come off of as it was obstructing the view for everyone whenever the ball was on the opposite side.

Memory of the goal was being really annoyed at Maskel hitting a tame speculative shot, which I was sure the keeper would save as I saw it loop out of sight behind the crowds at the front. I couldn't see where the ball was, and it was only when I saw Ian Baird baring down on goal that I realised it had been deflected back in play, by either the post or keeper. The next moment the net was bulging, everyone in that ridiculously shallow terracing was going mental and Bairdy was wheeling away in celebration - I was convinced it was him that had scored the rebound and had no idea it had deflected out to Reinelt on the other side of the goal.

Surely someone else must've seen (or not seen as was the case) the most important goal in our history the same way that I did?

Me. Identical. Except you seem to have forgotten to mention the hugging of complete strangers.

Not actually seeing the goal itself has been a lasting regret for me, and when Maskell burst through later on and shot towards the top of the goal, I was willing it to go in more than normal so that I could see it actually go in! Not really being internet savvy and so on in those days, and being away from home straight after the game, I think it was probably 10 years before I actually saw Reinault's goal.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I bought my ticket directly from Hereford in the top tier of the two-tiered stand along one touchline. It was a 'home supporters' area but it was obvious that there were plenty of other Albion in there. No bother from anyone at the final whistle; they just looked shell-shocked, shook hands and wished us the best of luck. Then I moved along toward the Albion end and the police let me down and through to join in the post-match celebrations.

Similar story for me. Upper tier section furthest from the away end. Most of us were Brighton apart from a family in hereford shirts. As soon as the final whistle went, me and my mate legged to the away end. Very hostile as we had to go out the same gate as the home end fans.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
I was very lucky to have got a ticket really. Whilst away at Chester I got talking to a Brighton fan in a pub. I cant remember what the price of the ticket was but gave him a tenner and my home address. I didn't really expect to see the ticket or get my money back. But this was a must go to game and I thought it was a risk worth taking. Got the ticket through the post and was very grateful to the lad who sorted it for me. Game was so tense as were the crowd both in or outside the stadium. I did see a few little skirmishes. But what a day it was. I did make a bit of a mistake in my choice of hotel though. I booked a place to stay in the centre of Hereford. Now whilst I had a huge grin on my face and wanted to celebrate many folk in many bars were upset and drowning their sorrows. Wish I had booked a place out of town. Heard there was many Brighton staying and celebrating in Ledbury, maybe that would've been better.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I booked a place to stay in the centre of Hereford. Now whilst I had a huge grin on my face and wanted to celebrate many folk in many bars were upset and drowning their sorrows. Wish I had booked a place out of town. Heard there was many Brighton staying and celebrating in Ledbury, maybe that would've been better.

I had a hotel booked in Chepstow for the Saturday and Sunday nights. I think it was a Bank Holiday weekend?

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Ordered 2 from Hereford 3 or 4 weeks out. Ended up going on my own as my mate was flakey and dropped out. Sold ticket at face value to friend of a friend. Pretty sure I worked out what might happen but as said before, dont think Hereford expected to be in the mix.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Had a family wedding in Plymouth so drove the wife and kids down there and then drove to Exeter meeting another Albion fan before driving up to Hereford, mate ended up with match ball now in Australia and the lad watching from top of fence ended up with RR boots but to the annoyance of some Albion fans. Happy days:rolleyes:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Suspensions used to take effect 14 days after the event that led to them. Baird missed the first 3 games of the following season. I think it was season 2004-05 when the change was made (just at first team level) to have suspensions commence from the next match.

At U-18 and U-23 level, it was only last season that suspensions took effect from the next match (rather than a fortnight later).

Thanks for this: I'd completely forgotten about the delay in suspensions ... and I didn't realise that other games still had it

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Had a family wedding in Plymouth so drove the wife and kids down there and then drove to Exeter meeting another Albion fan before driving up to Hereford, mate ended up with match ball now in Australia and the lad watching from top of fence ended up with RR boots but to the annoyance of some Albion fans. Happy days:rolleyes:

That was annoying to almost EVERY fan in the away end, as he was being a selfish knob about staying on that fence, despite the fact that every other lad on the fence - about 8-9 of them - got off as soon as they realised they were blocking the view. I’ve not seen that bloke, home or away, in the 22 seasons since. Anyone else?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

That would be the second match ball as the first got lodged in the stand roof at the Brighton end and a mate of mine with me at the time managed to retrieve it. I had a ceremonial photo of me with it and the Argus headlines the following week.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
There was a brilliant video on here once of the footage of Robbie scoring, but overlaid with Tony Millard's radio commentary instead of the TV one. Anybody got a copy they can upload or know where it is? It's still my all-time favourite bit of Albion filming.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Great post, but he didn't throw his boots into the crowd.

Yeh, the bloke that got them was the sort that decided rules didn’t apply to him and was on the pitch begging Reinelt to give them his boots. I’ve never been a body language expert but he didn’t seem that keen to hand them over - turns out they were a gift from his missus.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I got tix in the home end as my uncle lived in Cheltenham and they got posted to him.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Yeh, the bloke that got them was the sort that decided rules didn’t apply to him and was on the pitch begging Reinelt to give them his boots. I’ve never been a body language expert but he didn’t seem that keen to hand them over - turns out they were a gift from his missus.

You are correct, you're not body language expert.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Then as now as often as possible (much easier to organise in the old days of course when we were in the lower divisions and kick off times were always Saturday 3pm) post match gig - at the lovely Barrels, set up by Chris, editor of the Hereford fanzine Talking Bull, several months previously. They were mid table, we rock bottom by miles. 'At least you can drown your sorrows' he said, sympathetically.
A few days before the match/gig I got a phone call from him. 'If you come out on top, I don't think me and my mates can bear to be there'.....
They didn't turn up, the late, great Roy Chuter did the door, and together with a goodly turn out of Albion fans and Herefold folk either uninterested in football or magnanimous in defeat the celebrations and poetry were in full swing when we were suddenly invaded by some Hereford hoolies who had been informed that 'some Brighton c&^%$£ were having a party'
They were confused to be addressed by some local residents known to them who informed them that a poetry reading was taking place and unless they liked poetry they should go elsewhere.
They did.
Even if I live to see the Albion win the Premier, nothing will ever better the feeling of that draw at Hereford to me. It was the moment the long journey back really started.
And I got the biggest hug ever from Sarah Watts at the final whistle. Another one taken from us far too soon.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Then as now as often as possible (much easier to organise in the old days of course when we were in the lower divisions and kick off times were always Saturday 3pm) post match gig - at the lovely Barrels, set up by Chris, editor of the Hereford fanzine Talking Bull, several months previously. They were mid table, we rock bottom by miles. 'At least you can drown your sorrows' he said, sympathetically.
A few days before the match/gig I got a phone call from him. 'If you come out on top, I don't think me and my mates can bear to be there'.....
They didn't turn up, the late, great Roy Chuter did the door, and together with a goodly turn out of Albion fans and Herefold folk either uninterested in football or magnanimous in defeat the celebrations and poetry were in full swing when we were suddenly invaded by some Hereford hoolies who had been informed that 'some Brighton c&^%$£ were having a party'
They were confused to be addressed by some local residents known to them who informed them that a poetry reading was taking place and unless they liked poetry they should go elsewhere.
They did.
Even if I live to see the Albion win the Premier, nothing will ever better the feeling of that draw at Hereford to me. It was the moment the long journey back really started.
And I got the biggest hug ever from Sarah Watts at the final whistle. Another one taken from us far too soon.
You got on the telly too.....”we’re going for the treble, Brighton win, Archer out, Tories out.......”

:lolol:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Earlier in the thread I mentioned my non league side were playing Hereford in the FA trophy. We won easily and now we go to another side who felt like a rival of Brighton’s in Chesterfield. I am probably wrong but I reckon in 2000-05 we were always competing with them in the league. They were decent. League one play offs three years ago and now 22nd in national league. We are so lucky with the owners we have had since the terrible two.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here