Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] QPR finally settle FFP dispute

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
What outraged me on TalkSport today was some reporter (from the Sun?) pontificating about QPR, then saying how Leicester did it and it paid off with winning the Premier League, and Brighton did it the season before last:moo:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Manchester United were paying interest at 14.25%-16.25% on borrowings when acquired by the Glazers
Who were they paying that to, their owners? No decent sized company should be paying those kind of figures with global interest rates what they are.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I disagree. The club they own is now worth more money, because it has less debt. How much more is it worth? Pretty much the amount of debt they wrote off. If they want to build back up the club's debt to themselves, they can do that easily enough with dodgy loans to the club, and behaviour like Archer and Stanley.

Or if the club is not worth anything, then as El P said, they wouldn't be getting that loan back anyway. The owners are wealthy enough that they can support the club anyway, and they hope it will eventually be in the PL again, and then their asset will have more value.

You can disagree ALL YOU LIKE.

For legal purposes, and for tax purposes they are different Entities. You move monies whether it be in salary or dividend or Capital Distributions Every Government around the world will tax it every time it is moved from one Entity to another. Doesn't even matter if it is an ''Owner Managed Company'' and you own 100% of the company

All Governments will levy Corporation Tax on the company when the income comes into the Company at whatever rate of tax is appropriate in that company in whatever country around the world. As soon as that company distributes any income whatsoever to its Directors or shareholder in the form of Dividends, Salary or Capital Distributions, it is taxed again in the form of Personal Tax.

My point is that the Owners of QPR. The cost to them personally is £50m plus.

They may have thought it was a price worth paying for the benefit of the club but it does not make my analysis of the situation incorrect.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Thanks.
I disagree, and it seems that El Pres disagrees too.

Converting the loan has not required them to take any further money out of their own personal accounts.

They would need to transfer physically, the funds from a personal or a separate company bank account to make the loan a legitimate loan. That is a definite ''Given'' . I don't even need to look up any books for that one.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
They would need to transfer physically, the funds from a personal or a separate company bank account to make the loan a legitimate loan. That is a definite ''Given'' . I don't even need to look up any books for that one.

It would contravene ML Regulations otherwise

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What? They've already loaned the money, and on the books it shows as a loan. My understanding was that they simply had to convert that loan on the books into shares.

[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
What? They've already loaned the money, and on the books it shows as a loan. My understanding was that they simply had to convert that loan on the books into shares.
b
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]?

Yes I agree on that part of the transaction

But simple fact is. The initial Loan lets say £50m would have to have been transferred from lets say a personal account to QPR bank account. They had that money in their bank. Now they don't.. Its lost because that money is no longer theirs. If they want to get any of that back being almost an ''Owner Managed Company'' they can only do it in the form of Dividend Salary or Capital Distribution it will be taxed.

Yes QPR may be a more viable proposition but the loan being turned to Equity but that only makes the company more valuable. It only makes the company a more viable acquisition. Its doesn't increase the value of the company.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
They now have worthless shares instead of worthless loans as a result of the conversion. No better or worse off financially.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

But simple fact is. The initial Loan lets say £50m would have to have been transferred from lets say a personal account to QPR bank account. They had that money in their bank. Now they don't.. Its lost because that money is no longer theirs. If they want to get any of that back being almost an ''Owner Managed Company'' they can only do it in the form of Dividend Salary or Capital Distribution it will be taxed.

Yes QPR may be a more viable proposition but the loan being turned to Equity but that only makes the company more valuable. It only makes the company a more viable acquisition. Its doesn't increase the value of the company.
[/QUOTE

You ask 10 different Accountancy Firms to value a company and I guarantee you would get 10 different valuations. Then ask the Accountant of any different purchaser to value it you would get a totally different valuation after ''Due Dilligence''

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It was already lost though in all but name

That's only assuming that the lender never intended to ''call in'' the loan. You are probably correct that they never intended to call the loan in but most DL accounts are called in. In football it is not usual to do so. Roman Abramovitch will almost certainly not call his loans in at Chelsea but I wouldn't be sure about let say Mike Ashley at Newcastle

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
That's only assuming that the lender never intended to ''call in'' the loan. You are probably correct that they never intended to call the loan in but most DL accounts are called in. In football it is not usual to do so. Roman Abramovitch will almost certainly not call his loans in at Chelsea but I wouldn't be sure about let say Mike Ashley at Newcastle

And that may even be the stumbling block over the potential sale of Newcastle in the last 12 months. Who knows ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
EV unaffected by capital structure and as lenders and shareholders identical makes no difference

That I agree 100%

Its the loss of the initial loan by the lender that I still go back to. Need to go to bed now. Gotta go to game tomorrow. Desperate to see Bissoma in his cameo 20 mins

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

So what are you going on about then? I said:
"Converting the loan has not required them to take any further money out of their own personal accounts."
and you replied with
"They would need to transfer physically, the funds from a personal or a separate company bank account to make the loan a legitimate loan. That is a definite ''Given'' . I don't even need to look up any books for that one."

That money was transferred years ago. I said they don't need "to take any further money out". They don't. So why post something about then having to have transferred it in the past, which is completely irrelevant?

Just tell us you were enjoying some lovely red wine and move on.

But simple fact is. The initial Loan lets say £50m would have to have been transferred from lets say a personal account to QPR bank account. They had that money in their bank. Now they don't.
It was in their bank a long time ago, before they made the loan. Before this decision, it was already no longer money they could get hold of, it had been spent.

If they want to get any of that back being almost an ''Owner Managed Company'' they can only do it in the form of Dividend Salary or Capital Distribution it will be taxed.
Although this isn't an issue for them at the moment, because QPR isn't making money or being sold, isn't it simply a case that they had money in the bank some years ago, and they've bought more shares with that money? So if they were to sell the club in the future, the money they put in is deductible as a cost before they have to pay tax. Equally, the club could buy back it's own shares, and if that's at the same rate, the owners wouldn't have made a profit and won't have to pay tax.

I think you've typed that a bit wrong.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here