Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] So... surely it's high time to decide who is/was our slowest ever player...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Hey Joe,

I think it's funnier that you were actually slower than those same middle aged men. As for me, I'm neither overweight nor middle aged, but I am right when I say that you were incredibly, incredibly ****ing slow.

;)
Good banter. I would happily bet my house at evens that there is not a single NSC regular Joe Gatting could not have given 10m headstart and beat over 100m...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Good banter. I would happily bet my house at evens that there is not a single NSC regular Joe Gatting could not have given 10m headstart and beat over 100m...

You'tr getting a wee bit precious about this. The question isn't who is the slowest person but rather the slowest Albion player. Seeing as probably none of us have played professional football, I dare say that Gatting in his peak would have beaten most of us in a sprint. It still doesn't get away from the fact that he was one of the slowest Albion players in living memory according to a fair few fans and it certainly doesn't invalidate our opinions either.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You'tr getting a wee bit precious about this. The question isn't who is the slowest person but rather the slowest Albion player. Seeing as probably none of us have played professional football, I dare say that Gatting in his peak would have beaten most of us in a sprint. It still doesn't get away from the fact that he was one of the slowest Albion players in living memory according to a fair few fans and it certainly doesn't invalidate our opinions either.
Not really "precious"... just find it a bit thick for Albion fans to be overly negative about a homegrown player when there is no point. Vilification of Joe Gatting for being "slow" is up there with the more stupid criticism of our players.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Not really "precious"... just find it a bit thick for Albion fans to be overly negative about a homegrown player when there is no point. Vilification of Joe Gatting for being "slow" is up there with the more stupid criticism of our players.

It's hardly vilification. I'd say that Murray is slow too compared with other strikers but he more than makes up for it with being one of the cleverest players around.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Gary Dicker always look e like he was running through treacle, fortunately he had the vision and technical ability which more than made up for it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Doug rougvie

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Hey Mo, This thread is really meant to be quite light hearted in its nature. Some of the players mentioned here were great servants and more than made up for lack of pace with other elements of their game.

That said, I reckon at 21 I could have taken Gatting over 100m - a much fairer comparison imho.

Whilst I'm here I might as well mention Mayo, another homegrown 'baller who had slight mobility issues.

And re the above (great servant bit) Bas Savage does not fall into the same category, he was the dictionary definition of a cumbersome centre forward.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Gary Dicker always look e like he was running through treacle, fortunately he had the vision and technical ability which more than made up for it.

I've got a real soft spot for Gary Dicker. From what I heard it was a tough decision to release him but finances were such with other players like Ryan Harley still with a few years left on their contracts.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I've got a real soft spot for Gary Dicker. From what I heard it was a tough decision to release him but finances were such with other players like Ryan Harley still with a few years left on their contracts.

Dicker had superb vision and that magic time on the ball, but he was ponderous when chasing the opposition. I agree though, he was a clever player.

CMS always got me, was he fast... or did he just look fast due to his rather all action (silent movie ott school of acting) running style and flowing blonde locks?!?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Please don't spoil this thread with such sensible posts!

At my youngest daughter's school sports day I managed to do the 100M in 18 seconds, which I was pretty chuffed about at 60 years old, but I doubt I could have kept pace with professional footballers when I was in my prime - especially not through that ankle deep slippery mud they often had to run through!

Jul 7, 2003
Tomer Hemed in the first 10 minutes of a match. Once he gets going he is okay (by no means rapid) but the big man does take a short while to get up to speed.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Marcus Painter? I cant remember the game but it was our first season at the Amex and he was chasing a ball down the left wing.

Poor guy. Never stood a chance.

Yep, Wolves last game of the season i remember it well. Amazingly, he did actually catch up to it! As i recall, it was down towards the South East corner where the Wolves fans were

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

Ok he wasn't fast but he was a member of one of the most successful youth teams we've produced ( quarter final of the FA youth cup) - good cricketer too!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Alan Duffy’s build looked like he wouldn’t be quick but I can remember

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here