Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If meat eaters acted like vegans....

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Being a vegan or even vegetarian is really the preserve of relatively wealthy societies.
In poverty I think most would quickly abandon these privileged choices if it meant you could eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really, many of the poorest countries eat vegan by default because meat is considered a luxury there. The point is that we DON'T need to eat animal products and doing so is cruel to animals, detrimental to the environment and it ****s people over (the poor)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
NSC in overgeneralising about a particular faction in our society shocker. Whatever next? All cyclists are red light jumpers? All meat eaters are Tory voting red wine drinking bores?

I genuinely thought this was true until this very morning when I witnessed, with my own eyes, a cyclist stopping at a red light.

My entire world view was shaken. When I got to the office I had to have a biscuit and a cup of tea out of the giant mug reserved for when you need calming down following a life altering incident.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Being a vegan or even vegetarian is really the preserve of relatively wealthy societies.
In poverty I think most would quickly abandon these privileged choices if it meant you could eat.

Yes, I always find that a homemade brown rice, Quorn nugget, salad, mayonnaise and tabasco wrap breaks the budget. I sometimes wonder how I can afford to eat at all compared with the price of meat. Maybe I'm not actually working class after all.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Each to their own but Veganism is something I struggle to get my head round. I have chickens, they wander around the garden and lay an egg or two. I don't understand why a vegan wouldn't eat one of my eggs. I have two vegans in my team and whenever we're taken out by suppliers etc it seems painful for them to find something to eat - right down to ensuring the beer they are drinking is vegan suitable.

You can't get your head around why people are against animal abuse? Animal products aren't healthy, animal agriculture is detrimental to the planet and we use so much land/resources for it. As for the eggs, I wouldn't eat them because they're not mine and they can be useful for the chickens but that's not on the top of our list. The meat/dairy/egg/fur/leather industry is

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You can't get your head around why people are against animal abuse? Animal products aren't healthy, animal agriculture is detrimental to the planet and we use so much land/resources for it. As for the eggs, I wouldn't eat them because they're not mine and they can be useful for the chickens but that's not on the top of our list. The meat/dairy/egg/fur/leather industry is

The average space a 'barn hen' gets to live in is the length and width of a paperback book cover, which is pretty appalling.

41bdMysusjL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_.jpg

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Eating meat is a natural thing. Having enough land to rear a few goats, chickens maybe a buffalo or two is desirable. Trading the spoils of eggs and milk and cuts of meat with your neighbours is desirable. I only wish the economy was focused in that way. It could be.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yes we will

Fair enough. I disagree but certainly wouldn't knock your principles. My first post was tongue in cheek but I'm well aware of how poorly a lot of animals are treated and do try wherever possible to buy ethically and it's well worth the extra expense especially with things like sausages and burgers. I know I could never be a vegan not because of meat but milk. My kids and I drink lots.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I think this will come as a surprise to a few million Indians.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Fair enough. I disagree but certainly wouldn't knock your principles. My first post was tongue in cheek but I'm well aware of how poorly a lot of animals are treated and do try wherever possible to buy ethically and it's well worth the extra expense especially with things like sausages and burgers. I know I could never be a vegan not because of meat but milk. My kids and I drink lots.

What do you disagree with? Animals are treated poorly/slaughtered/caged/tortured because people like you support it; there's soya, almond, rice, oat, hazelnut, hemp milks - all of these are healthier, better for the environment, cruelty free. They have all the vitamins you need from milk (calcium, B12 etc) - 'Ethical' purchasing of sausages/burgers are still inhumane and they still result in animals being inhumanely slaughtered

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Is there a distinction between a vegetarian who chooses not to eat meat because of the mass production industry and poor treatment of the animal compared to a vegetarian who just will not eat an animal period?

I'm guessing a lot of vegetarians would happily eat an animal if they were starving wandering in the jungle and it was a matter of kill to survive. We are carnivores after all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would love to be able to stop being a vegetarian. After 20 years I still remember the taste of shepards pie and kippers! My protest is only because the flesh industry is seriously ****ed up and I want no part of it.

I'm not surprised you're a veggie if you were eating Shepherds Pie & kippers. :sick:
You should have just had veg with it.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Eating meat is a natural thing. Having enough land to rear a few goats, chickens maybe a buffalo or two is desirable. Trading the spoils of eggs and milk and cuts of meat with your neighbours is desirable. I only wish the economy was focused in that way. It could be.

What's natural about it? If it was natural then it wouldn't be harmful to us (processed meat meat causes cancer and red meat probably does). We have absolutely no instincts to kill animals/eat them. Put a toddler in a room with an apple and a rabbit and let me know when the toddler is eating the rabbit and playing with the apple. You don't salivate when you see animals, no one does

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Is there a distinction between a vegetarian who chooses not to eat meat because of the mass production industry and poor treatment of the animal compared to a vegetarian who just will not eat an animal period?

I'm guessing a lot of vegetarians would happily eat an animal if they were starving wandering in the jungle and it was a matter of kill to survive. We are carnivores after all.

The point is that we don't need to eat an animal to survive ? Yes people would kill an animal to survive if they were going to die but that doesn't happen in our privileged world. And we're not carnivores lol

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
To be honest I never get this stereotype because there a few 'loud' vegans but the majority aren't and to be honest, being vegan (if you are a vegan) comes up in normal conversation because FOOD/CLOTHING is a big thing. Veganism isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle supporting animals rights/ethics. You should try listening to some of them

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Ethical meat is expensive..and it's not affordable for everyone. But I am certain the trend towards less industrial meat production is happening and the milk issue is next on the list. As an optomistic veghead I'd say things are looking up. We seem to be taking back control of the fundamentals of our nutrition. Food is important to every single mofo out there, if we can't get that right then God help us!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I guess you've never been to India?

Agree and disagree. I have been to India, got talking to a few people about food and diet (mainly because they were rather bemused and proud that the British national dish is now curry) and was told that Muslims and Christians eat a lot of meat when available but Hindus are mainly vegetarian with the less devout happy to have some non-proscribed meats (mainly chicken, mutton and fish) and the more devout sticking to a vegan diet.

Likewise, Hong Kong in the 90s, trying to get a vegetarian meal (my ex was veggie at the time) was a difficult task & was told by more than 1 person that it was associated with poverty and mainland China, which supports [MENTION=27739]The Upper Library[/MENTION]'s post.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

96.2% of the meat eaters on here wouldn't eat meat if they had to slaughter and skin it themselves. 73.2% of meat eaters on here wouldn't eat meat if they were shown the full process by which it goes from standing alive in a field to the handy little guilt-free packages of animals they buy in the supermarket.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What do you disagree with? Animals are treated poorly/slaughtered/caged/tortured because people like you support it; there's soya, almond, rice, oat, hazelnut, hemp milks - all of these are healthier, better for the environment, cruelty free. They have all the vitamins you need from milk (calcium, B12 etc) - 'Ethical' purchasing of sausages/burgers are still inhumane and they still result in animals being inhumanely slaughtered

I disagree with you about whether we should eat animals. Apologies if I didn't make it clear and I do think a lot more can be done to make living & slaughter conditions better. I try to be discerning about what I buy but ultimately I like eating meat and I like drinking milk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here