Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just How Rubbish is 1901, thoughts please

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's much better than it used to be! The extra LP weren't a consideration for me at all. The factors in my decision-making were:

Front row seat, much better than my old seat.
Much shorter beer queue at all times (enabling both a beer and a wee at half time - something I've never been able to achieve elsewhere; it's always been one or the other)
Generally get somewhere to sit while I drink my beer(s) and read the programme.

Honestly, that was it for me...

As I West Upper patron I cam confirm that those perks are not provided up there.

TheOldGirl

Jul 24, 2013
Saltdean
and the point of you coming on here whinging about your superb seats is what, exactly?

Maybe because I moved up to 1901 at the 5 year mark and I was told free coffee and teas and enhanced points for the away games was part of the deal. If I leased a car for 5 years in an unbreakable contract and was told that the deal included GPS and a radio id be pretty shocked if it turned up without.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Maybe because I moved up to 1901 at the 5 year mark and I was told free coffee and teas and enhanced points for the away games was part of the deal. If I leased a car for 5 years in an unbreakable contract and was told that the deal included GPS and a radio id be pretty shocked if it turned up without.

How many way games did you go to in the last 2 seasons?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I'm pleased this advantage has been levelled out to ensure parity with longer-term ST holders although i can see how people in the 1901 would be upset if it was stated in their contract. The main flaw in the old system was allowing JCL 1901'ers to jump ahead in the pick of the away games and this will now not be the case. Long-term support should always win out.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
About 14, but that is not the point because I have contracted for 5 years instead of year by year which I would much prefer to try to ensure that I get to some away games

If you have been to 14 away games, the chances are you will have a good number of points anyway?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I'm pleased this advantage has been levelled out to ensure parity with longer-term ST holders although i can see how people in the 1901 would be upset if it was stated in their contract. The main flaw in the old system was allowing JCL 1901'ers to jump ahead in the pick of the away games and this will now not be the case. Long-term support should always win out.

I totally agree and the fact that it has stopped 1901'ers that haven't been to any away games jumping the queue is fantastic!

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
So no issues with the club name, Hereford scorer etc etc?
Thanks for noticing - I thought it had all gone to waste - irony lives.

Yeah i just had another read through and realised those as well... Ffs - why aren't these guys banned
Because I had a shirt with a collar and nice shoes on - I was OK?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The OP does have a point in fairness, but has to realise when the club built the Amex they were desperate for 1901 members and promised so much to secure punters, now they don't need anyone they will ride roughshod over us if they chose. Who is going to get that upset about a half time cup of tea or a pre season friendly or the fact that they were conned out of Bennett's Field for parking ( the way the club did that was actually very clever, if sneaky) that they will take the club on through the courts.

I imagine seats will be moved from the centre in the not too distant future to cope for real corporate fat cats if we stay in this division. There might be more outrage if this happens but it wouldn't stop them.

Last edited:

TheOldGirl

Jul 24, 2013
Saltdean
The OP does have a point in fairness, but has to realise when the club build the Amex they were desperate for 1901 members, now they don't need anyone they will ride roughshod over us if they chose. Who is going to get that upset about a half time cup of tea or a pre season friendly or the fact that they were conned out of Bennett's Field for parking ( the way the club did that was actually very clever, if sneaky) that they will take the club on through the courts.

I imagine seats will be moved from the centre in the not too distant future to cope for real corporate fat cats if we stay in this division. There might be more outrage if this happens but it wouldn't stop them.

I do agree with this, I think it is part of a strategy to get rid of the fan section of 1901. Fine if we stay in the prem but if we go back to the Championship 1901 will be a wasteland at the end of the 5 year contracts.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I do agree with this, I think it is part of a strategy to get rid of the fan section of 1901. Fine if we stay in the prem but if we go back to the Championship 1901 will be a wasteland at the end of the 5 year contracts.

Don't think they want to get rid of us but they do want to be able to make more money from seat sales and catering. Since they whacked the prices up many 1901ers who used to eat there have stopped so they are reliant on the corporate entertaining company clients who quite probably are not genuine fans but are willing to pay £80 plus drinks for a meal.

The food was actually pretty good when I ate there quite regularly a few years ago but I'm not paying that much on a regular basis, It wasn't that good!

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
The OP does have a point in fairness, but has to realise when the club built the Amex they were desperate for 1901 members and promised so much to secure punters, now they don't need anyone they will ride roughshod over us if they chose. Who is going to get that upset about a half time cup of tea or a pre season friendly or the fact that they were conned out of Bennett's Field for parking ( the way the club did that was actually very clever, if sneaky) that they will take the club on through the courts.

To be honest let them take the perks away its their decision to make and as you say the club were desperate for 1901 members early on in the Amex era now we are Premier League its extract the urine time.

All I would say to the club is be a tad careful who you alienate on the way up because it will be a whole lot harder to secure a 5yr commitment from patrons if our stay in the top flight is short lived. :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What happened with Bennetts field?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here