Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was Glen Murray thinking?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Me too.

His goals in the league between now and the end of the season have the potential to be worth hundreds of millions of pounds to the club. It was obvious how much we struggled without him the other night. Why on earth was he risked in a nothing game when he could have had a relaxing weekend off with his family prior to Thursday, which is crucial?

Luckily he came through unscathed apart from another yellow card. Thank god we are out of the cup: just one objective to focus on now.

Nothing game ?? Thank god we're out ??It was the fvcking FA Cup , your attitude is everything that is wrong with football.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Nothing game ?? Thank god we're out ??It was the fvcking FA Cup , your attitude is everything that is wrong with football.

Sorry matey but for once I disagree. I really can't face the heartache of losing out again in the play-offs after the fantastic season we've had this year. Any other year and I'd be in complete agreement but we've got the chance if playing in the PL (if only for one season) and a very good chance of being in a division above Palace. We have quality but no depth with our forwards. I would prefer to see Murray saved for the league games.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Murray worries me. Hes a good striker and now very experienced. He knows how to niggle opponents and as some on here would say is an expert in the dark arts. He has had a very good season and has been a good signing. However I constantly feel that he's at risk of a sending off. I said this on here before and got criticised just before the recent red card. That was of course hardly his fault. He has relatively few yellow cards (is it 4 yellow and 1 red now?) but could easily have more. This wouldn't worry me apart from the fact that we have so little cover up front.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was obvious how much we struggled without him the other night.
Not to me. I thought we missed Baldock more, and Hemed scored a great goal.
Why on earth was he risked in a nothing game when he could have had a relaxing weekend off with his family prior to Thursday, which is crucial?
Maybe he needed some game time to keep sharp/confidence etc. If not playing players have to train and can get injured then too.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Get down off your high horse, Alf.

I have always loved the FA Cup - but it is managers and the FA itself who no longer treat it seriously, so they shouldn't be surprised if supporters start turning their back on it.

How much do clubs want to win it now? More and more clubs in the top two divisions use the FA Cup teams to field a bunch of second string / fringe players, so what are we actually watching here?

"Hello, and welcome to this FA Cup 3rd round match where we have the mouth-watering prospect of Plymouth Argyle vs Liverpool U-23s."

Also, the authorities have made it very easy to fall out of love with the Cup. FA Cup weekends used to be great occasions, but now ties are played on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday - with the draw for the next round being made before some ties have even been played. Semi finals at Wembley on different days and now the final moved to 5:30pm. Everything that used to make the FA Cup unique and intriguing has / is being gradually dismantled, bit by bit.

I would suggest it is the FA and the clubs who's attitude is everything that is wrong with football - not mine. I'm just the mug punter who pays to watch, but I won't pay to watch when I'm no longer sure what the point is :shrug:

Now the league - that is a completely different matter, which is interesting because when I was at school it was all about Cup glory and the league was almost secondary.

Strange days.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I have always loved the FA Cup - but it is managers and the FA itself who no longer treat it seriously, so they shouldn't be surprised if supporters start turning their back on it.

How much do clubs want to win it now? More and more clubs in the top two divisions use the FA Cup teams to field a bunch of second string / fringe players, so what are we actually watching here?

"Hello, and welcome to this FA Cup 3rd round match where we have the mouth-watering prospect of Plymouth Argyle vs Liverpool U-23s."

Also, the authorities have made it very easy to fall out of love with the Cup. FA Cup weekends used to be great occasions, but now ties are played on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday - with the draw for the next round being made before some ties have even been played. Semi finals at Wembley on different days and now the final moved to 5:30pm. Everything that used to make the FA Cup unique and intriguing has / is being gradually dismantled, bit by bit.

I would suggest it is the FA and the clubs who's attitude is everything that is wrong with football - not mine. I'm just the mug punter who pays to watch, but I won't pay to watch when I'm no longer sure what the point is :shrug:

Now the league - that is a completely different matter, which is interesting because when I was at school it was all about Cup glory and the league was almost secondary.

Strange days.

Post of the weekend.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Murray worries me. Hes a good striker and now very experienced. He knows how to niggle opponents and as some on here would say is an expert in the dark arts. He has had a very good season and has been a good signing. However I constantly feel that he's at risk of a sending off. I said this on here before and got criticised just before the recent red card. That was of course hardly his fault. He has relatively few yellow cards (is it 4 yellow and 1 red now?) but could easily have more. This wouldn't worry me apart from the fact that we have so little cover up front.

He needs to get 6 more yellows then to be at risk of a ban and all before the end march deadline for when things start again. I wouldn't worry.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

Strange days.

Forget 'romance' and 'nostalgia' of the once great FA Cup, it is all about one thing in the modern age whether that be good or bad.

falling2-money.gif

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Was a very soft pen. Glad it wasn't a league game. Happens all the time nowhere near the ball either.

Very very soft pen. Also very unlucky that the guy took the keeper out at the same time!

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Those who care about the F.A Cup and the result are more likely to be the old skool (dinosaurs) born before 1990 ish who will want to win everything because that's the competitive way they were brought up.
The others are likely part of the "everyone's a winner, all about participation style school sports day, no losers, lovey dovey, namby pamby, middle of the road, wishy washy, liberalist, lefty, lily livered, blame it on society, willy nilly, sun dried tomato eating, decaffeinated, all inclusive" way of thinking. :kiss:© Inspector Derek Grim.

It's done now, history will only remember the giant killing and not whether a G.Murray was on the teamsheet.

Me, I'll be satisfied if we get promoted this year and have to belatedly win the FA Cup next year (or the year after, or whenever, if ever.)

DavePage

Always disappointed to see us go out, but if we got to the final, do we really want to spend the next 34 years asking where the money went?
If we didn’t play the second string players in the cups, when would they have competitive experience when we need to call them up because of injury or suspensions?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
really not buying in to this view that we're better off out. playing the reserves its a great opportunity to give fringe players game time, see what they can do. Towell for instance had a good finish, he'll be set with some match fitness and confidence for league games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here