Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bear Grylls

LVGull

May 13, 2016
It's not what it says in the press, it's what he says himself. The bloke makes out that he's a top climber and mountaineer. He's not. He's a liar. He's never climbed anything difficult or done anything impressive in the mountains. I started the thread because I just saw him blatantly lying again on tv. "Hanging off a rock face with one hand..." He's never done this, it's bullshit.

Didn't he climb Everest?

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I like him, yes of course there's an element of his programs being staged, but in general the man does a hell off lot of good for the scout movement and many other charities.
Take it all at face value, then you won't feel so outraged when you find out he didn't free climb that rockface and didn't single handily hunt down a 30ft kangaroo and roast it over an open fire .
It's TV.........of course it's set up.....,.did anyone genuinely think it wasn't ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's the outdoor version of Nigel Slater.

��

Seriously laughing at that, even though I looooves Slates and he is a properly genuinely double hard b*****d.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stat Towers has always been, and always will be. Team Mears:-

Dear Jim,

Please paint Ray Mears and Bear Grylls having a survival off. Bear has managed to hollow out a badger carcass and is attempting to climb inside it whilst Ray has built a theme park out of sticks and leaves and is having a whale of a time.

Thanks,

Nathan

tumblr_n6ckm2ITkP1s6ylubo1_1280.jpg

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Bear is the new face of the evangelical Alpha course.

Seems a decent enough bloke to me.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What a c##t. Just seen the prick on Jonathan Ross's show lying about hanging off a rock face with one hand while having a shit. Yeah, Jimmy Hill, chinny reckon. You don't actually climb at all so......

The guy has made a huge career out of total bullshit and people suck it up.

He can't climb, he's done nothing impressive in mountaineering, he was proved to be a liar about flying over Everest and doing "extreme survival" when he was actually staying in a nice hotel. He's just a lying dick.

How stupid have we become when a total charlatan like this can become massively rich and famous? It's very sad.

Anyone got tickets for his show? [emoji33]

You seriously have no idea what you're talking about.

Bear is a childhood nick name.
He was in the S.A.S
He summited Everest . He did this not long after his parachute failed to open on a jump and he broke his back and was told he would never walk again.
He crossed the Arctic Ocean on a RIB
He spent one night in a hotel while away filming as he had spent something like 6 weeks out in the wild and his wife and child surprised him with a visit. Doubt any of us would do differently.
His programs are designed to show what you would do on an extreme survival situation and there is even a disclaimer on each episode to say some scenes are set up to demonstrate skills.
He does amazing work as chief scout.
I have read several of his books and he names a lot of people that have joined him on his expeditions or have been a part of his life or work. If this was all bullshit he's never be able to look them in the eye and I think they would have exposed him by now.

In short, he is a man who probably gets more done before his first shit of a morning than you've managed to achieve in your entire life. Perhaps put your energy into improving your lot rather than slagging someone else off.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

He was in the S.A.S
He summited Everest . He did this not long after his parachute failed to open on a jump and he broke his back and was told he would never walk again.
He crossed the Arctic Ocean on a RIB
He spent one night in a hotel while away filming as he had spent something like 6 weeks out in the wild and his wife and child surprised him with a visit. Doubt any of us would do differently.
His programs are designed to show what you would do on an extreme survival situation and there is even a disclaimer on each episode to say some scenes are set up to demonstrate skills.
He does amazing work as chief scout.
I have read several of his books and he names a lot of people that have joined him on his expeditions or have been a part of his life or work. If this was all bullshit he's never be able to look them in the eye and I think they would have exposed him by now.

In short, he is a man who probably gets more done before his first shit of a morning than you've managed to achieve in your entire life. Perhaps put your energy into improving your lot rather than slagging someone else off.

Well bugger me ..... something we agree on !!!! Just one thing, and it's only because someone will pick you up on it, he was in the TERRITORIAL SAS ( and that isn't putting down the territorials at all ! ).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I watched a programme where he spent a couple of days with Stephen Fry in Switzerland on a mountain. I can't imagine that Fry would keep quiet about it, if it wasn't real.

It also surprises me that someone can get so het up over another person on tv, or in the public eye. If they upset you so much, just turn off the tv.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I watched a programme where he spent a couple of days with Stephen Fry in Switzerland on a mountain. I can't imagine that Fry would keep quiet about it, if it wasn't real.

It also surprises me that someone can get so het up over another person on tv, or in the public eye. If they upset you so much, just turn off the tv.

Quite. Agree on all fronts.
Grylls is a highly skilled outdoorsman, soldier, mountaineer, seafarer and motivator.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
He is mates with the owner of the business next door to us, they make those flying machine things you strap on your back and use with a parachute. He dropped in a few weeks ago in his helicopter and is a regular visitor it seems. That's all I know about him though

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Bear often says things like-you have to fight the urge to panic>i think we could all take that advice into any dangerous situation we find our selves in,anywhere...

For the record,i like BG and his shows very much,as has been stated by others,he puts in a disclaimer about receiving assistance in life threatening situations,he is not god or action/superman...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
He was in the sas so he has some skills

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
What a c##t. Just seen the prick on Jonathan Ross's show lying about hanging off a rock face with one hand while having a shit. Yeah, Jimmy Hill, chinny reckon. You don't actually climb at all so......

The guy has made a huge career out of total bullshit and people suck it up.

He can't climb, he's done nothing impressive in mountaineering, he was proved to be a liar about flying over Everest and doing "extreme survival" when he was actually staying in a nice hotel. He's just a lying dick.

How stupid have we become when a total charlatan like this can become massively rich and famous? It's very sad.

Anyone got tickets for his show? [emoji33]

Nothing impressive in mountaineering !
I don't think he professes to be a 'technical' expert, but to say he can't climb is a bit pathetic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hs8_Tu4sgg

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
One of my clients was a competitor on his programme last year and she said that they do all the things you see on TV and a lot more. They cram a full day of what they do and film into a one hour show.

She is an actress and was totally out of her comfort zone but said its the best thing she ever done in her life. There is a safety team as you would imagine for safety and insurance purposes but they seldom step in unless something goes badly wrong.

Don't know the first thing about the guy himself as I have only ever watched it because she was on the show but the show itself is as real as they can make it without putting lives in danger

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Well bugger me ..... something we agree on !!!! Just one thing, and it's only because someone will pick you up on it, he was in the TERRITORIAL SAS ( and that isn't putting down the territorials at all ! ).
Yes he was in the TA SAS and he pisses off the regulars no end by banging on about being in the SAS without adding the disclaimer that it was the TA.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Quite. Agree on all fronts.
Grylls is a highly skilled outdoorsman, soldier, mountaineer, seafarer and motivator.
Though not as skilled a outdoorsman as Ray mears who actually teaches the SAS survival skills.

Brynsleynudge1

Jun 2, 2014
He's double hard....

I sat next to Edward at a dinner a few years ago, he showed no fear in tackling a delicious 4 course meal. His knife skills were impressive, he carved through his venison without a moment's hesitation. I was slightly taken back when he ordered 'medium rare' but even hardened hard men have to have a day off, he even buttered his own role.
The man's a legend....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here