Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] White van drivers!!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
That is obviously your experience and I would not dream of questioning it. I can only say that for a year I drove a van around for a local employer. Prior to starting, I believed the hype about WVDs but can honestly say that in general they were nowhere near as bad as expected. If I were to pick out a set of drivers , and obviously with the caveat that it is a generalisation, then it would be old folk who tend to get in the wrong lane and drive too slowly thus frustrating others and causing bottlenecks, when a long line is following, meaning that cars cannot turn into or off a main road.

I know what you mean about 'old folk', as coming from the Bexhill area, I know only too well about the blue rinse highway of hell, that is retirement land, I have to suffer that this weekend:laugh:

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
I’m old. I’m a pensioner. I drive a white van. I get severe pains in the groin since the op. I’m as blind as a bat since I lost my glasses and I can’t remember where I’m supposed to be or when.

I think I’m going to be in your area tomorrow? You’ll easily recognise me if I am!

If you see me – put your hand up and give me a wave. Most people do.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
They're actually the most courteous drivers and involved in less accidents then any other vehicle

that's cause the poor sod who got forced out of the way is the one that hit the lamp post.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
that's cause the poor sod who got forced out of the way is the one that hit the lamp post.
On my ten minute drive to work, 3 vans have just let me out and I've seen shocking driving from about 7 other vehicles

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The current crop of vans are scarily fast, I'd hazard possibly faster than most cars unladen and are often driven as potential weapons on clear roads. A white van up your arse at 70 or 80 mph is quite intimidating. If you try and accelerate away most are quite capable of keeping up with all but high performance cars.

I think they should be speed governed,

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The current crop of vans are scarily fast, I'd hazard possibly faster than most cars unladen and are often driven as potential weapons on clear roads. A white van up your arse at 70 or 80 mph is quite intimidating. If you try and accelerate away most are quite capable of keeping up with all but high performance cars.

I think they should be speed governed,

There speaks a man who never drove an Astramax back in the day, that's scarily fast.

Check this review out from 10 years ago:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/2736315/Take-it-to-the-Astramax.html

It didn't matter how quick your car, sooner or later you'd glance in the rear-view mirror to find an Astramax sitting on your back bumper, pushing to overtake. :lol:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The drivers who have been annoying me this week have been German coach drivers in Lewes Road. Happy to use the bus lanes, until they find themselves approaching a local bus that is stopped at a bus stop - cue a rapid lurch to the right, to join the general traffic lane, with no regard for the traffic that is already in that lane. Everyone is forced to brake - which, as any fule kno, is a recipe for achieving a slow moving queue that helps no-one.

Hold on, you are one of those who once approved of drivers going down the outside of two-lanes-into-one queues and then pushing in at the last moment. One of my arguments against this was exactly the same as the one you make at the end of your post.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Lots of pressure on these delivery drivers as the traffic gets worse and the work load gets heavier...timed deliveries and much more.Yes they drive fast,but they're far better drivers than most out there.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There speaks a man who never drove an Astramax back in the day, that's scarily fast.

Check this review out from 10 years ago:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/2736315/Take-it-to-the-Astramax.html

It didn't matter how quick your car, sooner or later you'd glance in the rear-view mirror to find an Astramax sitting on your back bumper, pushing to overtake. :lol:

Oh yes Vauxhall have made loads of cars/vans that are very quick in a straight line, they just struggle big time around corners, But then I drive Alfas so have higher expectations on handling :wink:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Lots of pressure on these delivery drivers as the traffic gets worse and the work load gets heavier...timed deliveries and much more.Yes they drive fast,but they're far better drivers than most out there.

We want all this stuff we order over the internet at the cheapest delivery price possible and we want it now....you have a very valid point SA

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
In my opinion the worst offenders are all the supermarket delivery vans that seem to be driven like they are competing at Silverstone.

I always give them a wide berth, but of course have to slam on the anchors when they shoot out in front me from side streets.

And of course they are exempt from double yellow line restrictions.....

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I find everybody lets me out at junctions when I'm at work. Weird.

I really don't treat you guys any different than anyone else whatsoever, whether that is good or bad I do not know.

Put some B&T's on and that will be different of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here