Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
There's been a lot of research in this area and very few migrants came to the UK to sign on - Cameron can talk about it being big but it's not that significant at all. Even Farage said that benefit tourism wasn't a real issue.

Agree about Labour though, it does make them look a bit cowardly on Europe

Remember his promise to cut immigration below 100,000 too. That was an equally foolish promise to make

I'm amazed that in all of the interviews I've seen with Farage, no-one has asked this. If there is a vote to stay in (which seems likely if the polls are to be believed) does that mean Farage's fox has been shot? What's the point of a party with one central policy ... if that one policy can't happen?

He has been asked. He said that if that happened he would have to stand down as leader.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He has been asked. He said that if that happened he would have to stand down as leader.

Fair enough, I hadn't seen that. Does make you wonder: leader of what? What would be the point of an anti-EU party where withdrawal from the EU isn't on the agenda?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Assuming he sticks to his word. Remember that 'We not be paying the demand' at the back end of last year ? Have a guess what has happened ?

I vaguely remember Brown flying into Lisbon to sign the EU reform treaty in 2007. No input from the country, no big enough to sign with the other 26 heads of state who signed together and had a big photo shoot. It was a fudge deal to get around the peoples votes in France and the Netherlands. Shameless. I am pro Europe, pro EU (but not pro Euro) but the change to constitutional accountability needs to be debated and put to the people. Anything else is our "leaders" shirking

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I vaguely remember Brown flying into Lisbon to sign the EU reform treaty in 2007. No input from the country, no big enough to sign with the other 26 heads of state who signed together and had a big photo shoot. It was a fudge deal to get around the peoples votes in France and the Netherlands. Shameless. I am pro Europe, pro EU (but not pro Euro) but the change to constitutional accountability needs to be debated and put to the people. Anything else is our "leaders" shirking

Indeed. The Labour Party utterly lied. They promised a referendum and when it became obvious they would lose it they back tracked. Labour can't be trusted on the EU ( I guess it helps when an ex-leader who was wholly against the EU suddenly becomes an EU commissioner as does his wife. After all why block off future job opportunities ).

In the same way the Tories have lied about the EU. They said we wouldn't pay the extra bill demanded of us but when push came to shove we will have done so and the Tories will have tried to suggest that rebates we would have got anyway have reduced the bill .... they haven't.

So neither of the two main parties can be trusted on the EU .... so who should an anti-EU person vote for ?

Last edited:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Indeed. The Labour Party utterly lied. They promised a referendum and when it became obvious they would lose it they back tracked. Labour can't be trusted on the EU ( I guess it helps when an ex-leader who was wholly against the EU suddenly becomes an EU commissioner as does his wife. After all why block off future job opportunities ).

In the same way the Tories have lied about the EU. They said we wouldn't pay the extra bill demanded of us but when push came to shove we will have done so and the Tories will have tried to suggest that ebates we would have got anyway have reduced the bill .... they haven't.

So neither of the two main parties can be trusted on the EU .... so who should an anti-EU person vote for ?

A great question that could be extended to many other political issues. There is not enough accountability with our politicians and they can lie and scheme their way through the corridors of westminster. I am pro proportional representation which i think would help.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A great question that could be extended to many other political issues. There is not enough accountability with our politicians and they can lie and scheme their way through the corridors of westminster. I am pro proportional representation which i think would help.

PR would indeed help people feel engaged but why would either Labour or the Tories be in favour of something that would mean they would have to share power forever more ? The AV vote was a half arsed attempt to shut people up - I voted for it in some desperate hope it would be a stepping stone to proper PR.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
PR would indeed help people feel engaged but why would either Labour or the Tories be in favour of something that would mean they would have to share power forever more ? The AV vote was a half arsed attempt to shut people up - I voted for it in some desperate hope it would be a stepping stone to proper PR.

Turkeys and Christmas i agree

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Agree about PR. It engages people and, I feel, also allows new parties to get established quicker.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I cannot see [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] post of the latest poll with Labour in a 4% lead biggest since December, could you find his post [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] ?
Does [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] have the same approach as CMD when it comes to fronting up...? :)

It is telling that Cameron's Old Etonian braying swagger at the PMQs pantomime plays out so well but he is scared stiff of a proper TV debate with Ed Miliband.

Put him under pressure, with the prospect of a real challenge to his intellect and values, and he runs a mile...

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

In the same way the Tories have lied about the EU. They said we wouldn't pay the extra bill demanded of us but when push came to shove we will have done so and the Tories will have tried to suggest that rebates we would have got anyway have reduced the bill .... they haven't.

The only party that will give you a chance to get out, the conservatives. Anyone else won't give you a chance to have your say.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I cannot see [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] post of the latest poll with Labour in a 4% lead biggest since December, could you find his post [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] ?

Not seen it yet. I'm waiting though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The only party that will give you a chance to get out, the conservatives. Anyone else won't give you a chance to have your say.

Did you hear Grant Shapps on last week's Question Time? He repeatedly referred to "the referendum on the renegotiated EU terms." There will be no renegotiation.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Did you hear Grant Shapps on last week's Question Time? He repeatedly referred to "the referendum on the renegotiated EU terms." There will be no renegotiation.

You're of course free to believe what you like, but Labour aren't offering a referendum and it's only going to be them or the conservatives in power

If the conservatives go back on their word then hundreds of conservative MPs and ministers will defect to UKIP.

If you want a referendum you have to vote for them.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

If they do that then hundreds of mps will defect to UKip and the government will fall.

The fact remains that the conservatives are the only party that has a chance of being in control that have promised to have a referendum.

If being out of Europe or having a referendum is your biggest concern then you have to vote conservative. To do otherwise shows that you aren't really concerned about it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
YouGov/Sun latest poll = CON 31%, LAB 35%, LD 6%, UKIP 15%, GRN 8%
This poll was done before Chicken Licken told us there would only be one mass debate

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You're of course free to believe what you like, but Labour aren't offering a referendum and it's only going to be them or the conservatives in power

If the conservatives go back on their word then hundreds of conservative MPs and ministers will defect to UKIP.

If you want a referendum you have to vote for them.

They have said it will only happen on renegotiated terms. So, they will remain true to their word as they cannot and will not be in a position to change anything.

It's a moot point anyway.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

He seems to have disappeared. SeagullsoverGrimsby is now doing his work for him.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Gideon has told his pals in the City that RBS shares will be the next giveaway if the Tories stay in power and probably match the instant profit they got from Royal Mail.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here