Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
We seem to have some senile retired people acting like Turkey's voting for Christmas. Perhaps they don't want anymore winter fuel allowances, triple lock pensions or to have their houses immune from being sold after they pass on, should they need social care. I think we should remove these things from the people who voted Conservative but keep them for all those who voted for parties who promised to keep these benefits.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
We seem to have some senile retired people acting like Turkey's voting for Christmas. Perhaps they don't want anymore winter fuel allowances, triple lock pensions or to have their houses immune from being sold after they pass on, should they need social care. I think we should remove these things from the people who voted Conservative but keep them for all those who voted for parties who promised to keep these benefits.
Perhaps they have decades of bitter experience of failed Labour governments?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

So you're saying they voted selflessly by being prepared to give up something to help those less fortunate?

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014

Perhaps they have a social conscience and don't wish to take benefits which will come from borrowed money which will be passed on to future generations.Not something which seems to bother Corbyn.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Perhaps they have decades of bitter experience of failed Labour governments?

Yes maybe they are just old enough to remember the 70's. Or maybe they are conned into thinking austerity is the only answer to sorting out the mess left by the banking crisis.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
So you're saying they voted selflessly by being prepared to give up something to help those less fortunate?

Maybe they are scared of having another Labour government. I didn't notice anything for the less fortunate in the Tory manifesto though.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Perhaps they have a social conscience and don't wish to take benefits which will come from borrowed money which will be passed on to future generations.Not something which seems to bother Corbyn.

It depends how you want to divide the tax reciepts up. Borrowing is a choice. I didn't vote for Conservatives or Labour. I was just surprised they had voted that way.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You do get the urban educated Labour vote. It is quite easy to vote Labour if you are in a good job (because of your education) and voting for them is an expression of your political beliefs rather then your immediate needs.

This begs the question: What is the tory party doing to meet the immediate needs of the 55% with a low education that voted for them?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
IMG_8841.JPG

Thug

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here