Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It Was 50 Years Ago Today.........

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
'Sgt Pepper' is a great album but nothing next to 'Pet Sounds' for me. 'The Beatles', 'Abbey Road' and 'Revolver' are all better Beatles albums than 'Sgt Pepper' for me.

I really don't get all the fuss about Pet Sounds, and God only knows how many times I've tried listening to it.

Very over-rated, whereas Sgt Pepper IS the real deal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really don't get all the fuss about Pet Sounds, and God only knows how many times I've tried listening to it.

Have to confess to also being quite underwhelmed by Pet Sounds and I have given it quite a few tries over the years. :shrug:

Sgt Peppers is a brilliant album but I have heard it so many times that it now tends to just wash over me,

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Happy birthday Sgt Peppars Lonely Hearts Club band, probably the greatest album of all time

WRONG WRONG WRONG

In the UK the album was released on 26 May 1967, you need to send a belated happy birthday card.

If you're American you can celebrate tomorrow.

The PR around today is all about the remastered album release and the Deluxe Edition release.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
WRONG WRONG WRONG

In the UK the album was released on 26 May 1967, you need to send a belated happy birthday card.

If you're American you can celebrate tomorrow.

The PR around today is all about the remastered album release and the Deluxe Edition release.
Well, all the mainstream media are celebrating the anniversary today, as is The Beatles website:

http://www.thebeatles.com/album/sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band

So. it looks like it's just you and Wiki then..........

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

All art is subjective and there are no wrong answers.

You're wrong though.​

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
For those who are interested, the concert was just fabulous and the rendition of "I am the Walrus" was gobsmackingly brilliant. However, you can all rest easy in your beds re the cost of your Albion programmes - last night they were £10 for a very average and thin A4 production.

For those who are interested, the concert was just fabulous and the rendition of "I am the Walrus" was gobsmackingly brilliant. However, you can all rest easy in your beds re the cost of your Albion programmes - last night they were £10 for a very average and thin A4 production.

Agree about the concert being brilliant - nostalgia at its best; but the merchandising prices at these events is becoming obscene.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

This. Some great tracks on Pet Sounds but the Sgt Pepper bar is a lot higher.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Why were they selling Albion programmes at the concert last night?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I've not been called "yoof" for a long time (but thanks for that). I'm 54 !

I now realise your original comment was tongue in cheek then! Of course you've heard of Sgt Peppers...how good are you on Bewitched songs though?! ;)

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I now realise your original comment was tongue in cheek then! Of course you've heard of Sgt Peppers...how good are you on Bewitched songs though?! ;)

Actually no. Obviously I've heard bits of it over the years - maybe even all of it, I don't know - but I have never "listened" to it. Honestly. Couldn't name a single Bewitched song either, but I do seem to remember they were rather pleasing on the eye.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Actually no. Obviously I've heard bits of it over the years - maybe even all of it, I don't know - but I have never "listened" to it. Honestly. Couldn't name a single Bewitched song either, but I do seem to remember they were rather pleasing on the eye.

Ow, in which case definitely give it a listen, Day in the Life, Lucy in Sky with diamonds. I stumbled upon in my parents collection years ago and loved instantly on first listen. As for Bewitched, ditto!!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
It's ok , but I have to say my favourite is The Best of the Beatles .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It seemed important at the time, but looking back from here It has too many lightweight tracks on it. When I'm 64 and She's Leaving Home weren't exactly cutting edge, especially when you think of what else was going on in 1967. Take those two out and put Strawberry Fields Forever back on as was originally intended, and even Penny Lane, and it would be far better.

Just as the White album would have been a killer single album instead of an uneven double, a single album of the Fabs' 1967 output would be up there with Rubber Soul and Revolver. Just imagine: Strawberry Fields, Lucy In The Sky, A Day In The Life, All You Need Is Love, Hey Bulldog, It's All Too Much, Penny Lane, Getting Better, Fixing A Hole ...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It seemed important at the time, but looking back from here It has too many lightweight tracks on it. When I'm 64 and She's Leaving Home weren't exactly cutting edge, especially when you think of what else was going on in 1967. Take those two out and put Strawberry Fields Forever back on as was originally intended, and even Penny Lane, and it would be far better.

Just as the White album would have been a killer single album instead of an uneven double, a single album of the Fabs' 1967 output would be up there with Rubber Soul and Revolver. Just imagine: Strawberry Fields, Lucy In The Sky, A Day In The Life, All You Need Is Love, Hey Bulldog, It's All Too Much, Penny Lane, Getting Better, Fixing A Hole ...

I think its been available for sometime, its the blue album 1967-1970 disc one

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've just watched Goodall's programme. He was happy to talk about The Beatles taking influence from Bach and Stockhausen, from Indian music and English folk, from Alice in Wonderland, from children's paintings and news stories.

Completely absent were mentions of the influence of any of their immediate contemporaries. No mention of Wilson's 'Pet Sounds', or Dylan's 'Blonde on Blonde', or Zappa's 'Freakout', or Simon's 'Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Time', or Davies's 'Face to Face', or Townshend's 'A Quick One'. All preceded and have palpable influence on things that the Beatles wanted to do on their album. Why is this one band always treated as if their work was created in a vacuum?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I've just watched Goodall's programme. He was happy to talk about The Beatles taking influence from Bach and Stockhausen, from Indian music and English folk, from Alice in Wonderland, from children's paintings and news stories.

Completely absent were mentions of the influence of any of their immediate contemporaries. No mention of Wilson's 'Pet Sounds', or Dylan's 'Blonde on Blonde', or Zappa's 'Freakout', or Simon's 'Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Time', or Davies's 'Face to Face', or Townshend's 'A Quick One'. All preceded and have palpable influence on things that the Beatles wanted to do on their album. Why is this one band always treated as if their work was created in a vacuum?

The Beatles, well Paul McCartney has always acknowledged the impact of Pet Sounds on the recording of Sgt Pepper, and how they wanted to respond by recording something special. Also the decision to stop touring gave them more time in the studio.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The Beatles, well Paul McCartney has always acknowledged the impact of Pet Sounds on the recording of Sgt Pepper, and how they wanted to respond by recording something special. Also the decision to stop touring gave them more time in the studio.

Yes, McCartney has said similar things about 'Freakout', but even when he is telling music critics that The Beatles were just part of the story, they disregard what he says because they prefer the script 'genius thing come out of nowhere' to 'only band we were paying any attention to releases an album that doesn't seem at all out of the ordinary when considered in the context of what else was happening in this art form that we thought was not worthy of notice.'

How the hell anyone could make an hour long documentary about Sgt Pepper and not mention either Wilson or Dylan even once is utterly confounding.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here