OK. Perhaps not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Thanks for the update but keepers get better with age maybe the club have someone they consider as good or better who will sign if DS doesn't :shrug:

He has to have four good years left in him, he hasn't actually even played that much as a first choice keeper.

Goalkeepers are a different market, the demand is not as high. For example, if we go down Dale Stephens will probably be one of the most in demand midfielders by the mid/lower half of the PL as well as the 3 clubs coming up so we needn't worry if he is on an unsustainable contract. Whereas a 32yo Stockdale on a big 2/3 year deal will not be pursued as readily meaning we are lumbered with his expensive contract. Even the clubs coming up often stick with their goalies.

The club are probably mindful of this which is why he initially only got a 1 year offer. Likewise Stockdale knows he's at the age he wants to batten down and secure a large and lengthly contract so it's just the club and Stockdale (his agent) securing their respective financial futures.

If true that we have now offered 2 years, I would strongly imagine that it has a hefty relegation wage reduction clause which he is not willing to accept.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Well, this is slightly unexpected! :thumbsup:
After all the mid-season shenanigans, where he was off and then "I'm going to get my head down and see where we are at the end of the season" speech.
Well Burnley, that will learn you! If you had come back with some decent bids, instead of the derisory increases that you did, you may have got yourself a quality midfielder!
And we would probably have sold him too!
With a four year contract, it sounds like we are planning for years 6 to 10 at the Amex, with the midfield being built around Mr Stephens? :albion2:
Now, Mr Stockdale your turn next!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I always thought he would stay if we got promoted and he got caught up in the Euphoria with all the other players celebrations and if he could put the summer disappointment behind him.

Thence once Promotion came and he didn't start against Norwich I had at the back of my mind that he had possibly asked not to start that match and that he hadn't got over the disappointment of the summer. Seeing this news today makes me so so glad that I had slightly misread the situation.

Great player and so glad he has signed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fantastic news so soon after the last game. Well done everyone involved, really delighted he's decided to stay on any number of levels. Huge statement of ambition again. TB and PB have started work on 2017/18 VERY early. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I obviously know nothing but my gut feeling is that Stockdale will go to Chelsea or similar as No 2 on big wages and a 2 year deal then in 19/20 season he will go back up north to finish off his career possibly at Leeds or in that area.
He would still only be 33 so not too old for a keeper.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think we'll make the play-offs now.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
in the small print it say a fleet of tugs arrive tomorrow to pull Brighton into the middle of Morcambe Bay

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here