Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
London Marathon ballot has opened... and I've entered! When I fail to get a place I've determined to enter another marathon instead - preferably Brighton.

So I'm finally looking to step up in distance [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION], can I actually run further than 14 miles? We shall see.

Yateley 10k series over the summer, and Windsor Half in September to keep me going in the meantime.

Not sure I'm going to enter London this year as it feels like going for parole at Shawshank Redemption. Rejected.

Will be good to see you take on a marathon. If you can convert your existing pace to 26 miles you'll get a cracking time.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Not sure I'm going to enter London this year as it feels like going for parole at Shawshank Redemption. Rejected.

Will be good to see you take on a marathon. If you can convert your existing pace to 26 miles you'll get a cracking time.

If I were to get anywhere close to my predicted time for a marathon (based on recent half marathon and 10k times) I probably wouldn't have to bother with the ballot for London the following year, as I'd get a good for age place! Now that is a genuinely scary thought!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Three Londons is enough for me, for the time being. But good luck to anyone who's entering – it is an amazing experience and atmosphere...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If I were to get anywhere close to my predicted time for a marathon (based on recent half marathon and 10k times) I probably wouldn't have to bother with the ballot for London the following year, as I'd get a good for age place! Now that is a genuinely scary thought!

Brilliant. That sounds like a plan! Will you be 41+ for 2018? That sets a sub 3:15 marathon target. Certainly attainable for you.
Bear in mind that race predictors are unpredictable over 20 miles. Some may beat the prediction but many will be below. As a consistent marathon failure I fail to get my predicted time of 3:20:00 (based on current 10k and half marathon time) by 30 to 50 minutes. I also know that many NSC runners can keep the pace up and achieve or better predicted time.
Enjoy the challenge. Should be fun.
I'll be back again next year at Brighton looking for 3:45 to 3:50 yet again...........

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Double update. First, latest trip to rheumatologist. Blood counts all back to normal. Big toes should be flexing again within a month. Achilles is also the arthritis. She says this could take a long time to recover but I reckon 2-3 months should get it running again. Walking is fine so will carry on as I am. Parkrun again Saturday with a 37" time limit to not go under. Must take the road to recovery seriously.

Second, my new usb cable has allowed Garmin Express to upload from my Garmin 305 and this has gone to Garmin Connect. I'm not getting anything on Strava though. Any tips?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Can be a bit random - usually quite fast but sometimes not. Unusual to be much more than 30 mins.

It seems to have found a lot of steroid walking stuff from December and January. Should be back to 5 second uploads from now.....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - We entering a team or two into the relay at Black Rock again this year?

Time to get the relay teams sorted for the Weakest Link Relay Wednesday 21 June 7.30pm. £2 entry each runner.
http://brightonsports.co.uk/the-weakest-link-relay-run

A great event that I'll have to sit out this year. WHO IS UP FOR IT? Anyone I've missed out put your name forward on here.
As the teams have to finish the last lap holding hands it is best to sort teams by June's expected 5K or 2.5K times.
Put you're name down if committed to run. I think the following are interested: [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION], [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION], [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION], [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] , [MENTION=21215]Dazzer666[/MENTION], [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION].

Who else? THat's a possible 7 and we need 8 or 12. It's a fun event remember.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Count me in. Seem to remember you did quite well last year so would be good to keep that going

It was a dream team. Ninja Elephant, Greg Bobkin, Knocky, almost Mr Banana but a spare 17" 5k runner from Arena Club instead. Fair to say he helped us quite a lot......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here