Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
How in general do the drivers feel about how the guards are being treated (my understanding is it's only conductors taking action) ? If they are sympathetic, I can see massive delays occurring going forward for the reasons you state as the drivers do everything 'by the book'

Extremely sympathetic. I'm afraid commuters are in for a lot of disruption this year as unless GTR back down it won't be long before drivers are out on strike too. We obviously don't want our colleagues to lose their jobs but we are genuinely fighting for the safety of the railway. It's not about anyone wanting more money or to do less work-ultimately it's not especially difficult for drivers to close the doors-but for safety and customer service I don't think anyone who works on the railway thinks getting rid of guards is anything other than a recipe for disaster designed solely to line the pockets of the French owned Govia.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
But if their role is so important then they should be trying to garner public support for their cause ..... instead they are doing the exact opposite and pissing everyone off./

How? Explain precisely how guards would go about this? I honestly can't think of any other way for them to put sufficient pressure on GTR to change their minds. (And don't believe GTRs rhetoric that the RMT won't come to the negotiating table).

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
How? Explain precisely how guards would go about this? I honestly can't think of any other way for them to put sufficient pressure on GTR to change their minds. (And don't believe GTRs rhetoric that the RMT won't come to the negotiating table).

Ther guards possibly can't. But the fact that Mr Cash's letter is openly celebrating causing disruption to thousands of people isn't going to garner public support from those very people is it?

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
Those that have travelled, how was it this morning?. Would appreciate any updates/views before I decide whether to go in tomorrow.

0729 BTN->VIC was half-empty this morning. There were barriers all over Brighton station to create separate queues for different destinations (Westbound / Victoria / Thameslink) but the station was much quieter than usual and everyone was just walking straight through. I can only assume it was a combination of Brightonians working from home and the lack of Coastway West trains making it difficult for people who usually change at Brighton to connect with certain mainline services.

That was the effect of the revised timetables + no strike. Tomorrow morning will be revised timetables + strike and may be very different.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes it will. Add EVEN more delays as drivers will have to deal with all the emergency alarms blocking the line, delays whilst the driver deals with disabled passengers getting on and off, delays whilst the driver attends to fights, passengers being taken sick, assaults etc whilst there will be no one to deal with ticket/onward travel enquiries or to give passengers any sort of service updates (because the driver won't know). Just because you may not see the guard dealing with these thing doesn't mean they aren't doing it.

ive about had enough of this propaganda. guards do not attend sick or assaults, they call ahead to the next station and stay out of it - i have seen this twice so assume its their procedure. they do not evacuate the train, when a train was stuck outside victoria a year or so ago the passengers had to remain there for hours, despite being meters from an exit to a road. i myself was stuck on a train with no power for 3 hours few years ago. there are no guards on metro or thameslink lines so the saftey is over blown. a customer service role can easily give travel updates and travel enquiries, in fact it seems core to their role. end of the day the new role covers 90% of the old role, they just apparently want to keep the status.

well done, you've driven me from sympathic to against the strike as clearly you have little justification for it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Always the same knee-jerk antagonism from the usual suspects towards any set of UK workers with the temerity in this post-Thatcher era to impinge on your day in any way. Never any deeper thought given to the wider implications of why ordinary workers have been driven to take industrial action and are willing to sacrifice real and much-needed wages to do so. Just how the snouts-in-the-trough brigade prefer it, demonisation of the people least deserving of being demonised.

Wouldn't happen in France.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Fabulous TURN out on the picket line and the public 100% in SUPPORT of the STRIKING Conductors, SHAME about the behaviour of a few management KNOBS trying to look MASTERFUL but miserably FAILING

Err, no - count me out of that support so it can't be 100%

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Firstly by giving more notice .... hardly a difficult thing to do. Secondly by making ONE days strike mean ONE days strike to their customers NOT to them. And finally, maybe engaging with the public like the other unions I've mentioned earlier have .... rather than have w@nk3rs like Cash bigging it up hoping he'll become the next Scargill or Crowe.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Which staff fasten the trains together? Driver or guard?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
OK, it is now 99.999999999 % in FAVOUR

You might want to adjust that a little, count me out as well....

I wonder how many of your 27,741 posts were posted while you were at "work" ?

Union bulling tactics from the militants dark Days, spreading one days strike over two days. I'm not on your side for those reasons that have caused our family no end of trouble this week.

Thanks.

punish:punish:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As has already been said, if the train companies treat their staff with even a fraction of the contempt with which they treat their customers then they have my full support.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I support the need for properly trained guards.

I'd just like to see some properly trained guards.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
You might want to adjust that a little, count me out as well....

I wonder how many of your 27,741 posts were posted while you were at "work" ?

Union bulling tactics from the militants dark Days, spreading one days strike over two days. I'm not on your side for those reasons that have caused our family no end of trouble this week.

Thanks.

punish:punish:

I'm not a member of the RMT, I'm a member of the general PUBLIC who are SUPPORTING our DOCTORS, our RAIL guards and anyone ELSE who is sticking UP for themselves and FIGHTING for their LIVELIHOODS

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I'm not a member of the RMT, I'm a member of the general PUBLIC who are SUPPORTING our DOCTORS, our RAIL guards and anyone ELSE who is sticking UP for themselves and FIGHTING for their LIVELIHOODS

Count me out of your 100% too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here