Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Victoria Wood has died

I do realise that it's verboten to say anything negative on here about any celebrity who has died (as I found out when I dared express an opinion that I didn't think much of David Bowie), but in an effort to permit free speech on NSC I would like to express my opinion that she was one of the least funny people on TV, equalled only by Miranda and Mrs Brown.

Just for information who do you find funny ? RIP Victoria for all the enjoyment you have given millions.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I do realise that it's verboten to say anything negative on here about any celebrity who has died (as I found out when I dared express an opinion that I didn't think much of David Bowie), but in an effort to permit free speech on NSC I would like to express my opinion that she was one of the least funny people on TV, equalled only by Miranda and Mrs Brown.

In defence (yes defence!) of Goldstone, he's right in so far as allowed to post a view. Don't need to agree and there's nothing especially offensive about his post if you read it for what it is. I know some will say it's in poor taste to add a comment like that on a RIP thread but fact is none of her family or friends are ever going to read it and even if did, they are sensible adults who wouldn't take offence (or care!) so why take offence on behalf of...who exactly? RIP threads are a particularly weird modern phenomenon anyway. There's half a dozen every week and as soon as any death is announced someone in a flash has raced onto NSC to start the public grieving. It's all a bit pointless really. Unless you see it for what it is. A chance to remember their talents and perhaps argue over whether you liked or disliked. Which is only what Goldstone is doing. On a public message board let's not forget.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Effing hell how many more this year? RIP

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Celebs seem to keep illness very quiet and then they go, to the surprise of most.
I did not know that Ronnie Corbett or David Bowie were ill.
Sadly I think Brucie could be next. I think he has been ill for some time and that is why he did not do Christmas Strictly, he also sounded awful when asked on the radio about Corbetts death and I don't think he made the funeral and they were close friends.
At the Masters, Arnold Palmer looked like he has not long left either.
Victoria Wood was a real talent and very funny and seemed like a very nice lady as well so very sad and too young.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
In defence (yes defence!) of Goldstone, he's right in so far as allowed to post a view. Don't need to agree and there's nothing especially offensive about his post if you read it for what it is. I know some will say it's in poor taste to add a comment like that on a RIP thread but fact is none of her family or friends are ever going to read it and even if did, they are sensible adults who wouldn't take offence (or care!) so why take offence on behalf of...who exactly? RIP threads are a particularly weird modern phenomenon anyway. There's half a dozen every week and as soon as any death is announced someone in a flash has raced onto NSC to start the public grieving. It's all a bit pointless really. Unless you see it for what it is. A chance to remember their talents and perhaps argue over whether you liked or disliked. Which is only what Goldstone is doing. On a public message board let's not forget.
That is your opinion. That's all fine and dandy. People have always expressed sadness when loved celebrities have died it's just that the internet didn't exist before about 20 years ago for most of us. So to suggest it's a modern phenomena is just incorrect. What he said was the equivalent of breaking into a conversation in which people were expressing sadness at the loss of someone they appreciated, and ride roughshod over it just for the 'fun' of telling them that the person wasn't all that. That is pretty low. And you don't understand.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I have no issue at all with his saying he didn't find VW funny, and also find the public grieving over celebrity death tedious.

It's the martyrdom nature of his post that is a pain in the arse. 'Verboten', 'I dared express an opinion' 'effort to permit free speech' etc. turned the thread into a 'me, me, me' cry of self pity.

Time and a place for everything, there are thousands of other threads on NSC where he can do his usual act of trying to suck all the oxygen out of the room.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013

Wow, this is a look at me post.

So sad to hear about Victoria Wood. Comedian, actress, writer, musician. What a wonderful talent. R.I.P

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I have no issue at all with his saying he didn't find VW funny, and also find the public grieving over celebrity death tedious.

It's the martyrdom nature of his post that is a pain in the arse. 'Verboten', 'I dared express an opinion' 'effort to permit free speech' etc. turned the thread into a 'me, me, me' cry of self pity.

Time and a place for everything, there are thousands of other threads on NSC where he can do his usual act of trying to suck all the oxygen out of the room.

And I think that's part of it, he's not a popular person and I don't really recall any of his previous posts so I read it in isolation. Although I can understand others interpretation and that these would be coloured by past exchanges.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That is your opinion. That's all fine and dandy. People have always expressed sadness when loved celebrities have died it's just that the internet didn't exist before about 20 years ago for most of us. So to suggest it's a modern phenomena is just incorrect. What he said was the equivalent of breaking into a conversation in which people were expressing sadness at the loss of someone they appreciated, and ride roughshod over it just for the 'fun' of telling them that the person wasn't all that. That is pretty low. And you don't understand.

I do understand I just have a different interpretation. This is a pub where anyone can join the conversation. Don't take it personally. I don't think anyone inc Goldstone doesn't think it's incredibly sad regardless of taste in light entertainment?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I didn't hold, for example, Lemmy from Motorhead in great esteem. I did not feel the need to go on that thread and say so.

Victoria Wood was held in enormously high esteem by a great number of (and wide range of) people. There is a brief comment on the leader page in the Guardian today saying that the expression "National Treasure" is over-used, but that VW really was one. She was a leading light in a great number of fields - writing (compared to Alan Bennett by Lord Grade), performing, songwriting (compared to Noel Coward by the Guardian), acting, directing, and all of which were done with a warmth and humanity which endeared her to most people.

I think you are very much in the minority...... but you are still entitled to your opinion, and to be able to express it.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
And I think that's part of it, he's not a popular person and I don't really recall any of his previous posts so I read it in isolation. Although I can understand others interpretation and that these would be coloured by past exchanges.
Rubbish. What he did was the equivalent of writing in a memorial book or shouting during a minute's silence. People were expressing their sympathy and he felt the need on an In Memoriam thread to rubbish the subject. I'm not particularly a fan of her comedy but she brought a lot of pleasure to a lot of people who were expressing sympathy and shock. This post was completely unnecessary. Regardless of his past history, people would pull him up on it. With his history, it confirms a lot of opinions, including mine. Presumably there will be the usual 'it's just an internet forum' responses.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Rubbish. What he did was the equivalent of writing in a memorial book or shouting during a minute's silence. People were expressing their sympathy and he felt the need on an In Memoriam thread to rubbish the subject. I'm not particularly a fan of her comedy but she brought a lot of pleasure to a lot of people who were expressing sympathy and shock. This post was completely unnecessary. Regardless of his past history, people would pull him up on it. With his history, it confirms a lot of opinions, including mine. Presumably there will be the usual 'it's just an internet forum' responses.

You sound a bit hysterical, It is not remotely close to a your comparisons, if they were then it would have been highly offensive and Goldstone wouldn't have done either therefore. Talk about over reaction. This is a football chat room and nobody knows her. If it were her official fan club or book of condolence then you'd have better grounds to lambast him. But it isn't and anyone finding offense in a comment saying they didn't find her funny in that context isn't the full ticket. Save your grief for someone you know. And your outrage for something a little more proportional. Or do we have to start a new thread to discuss anyone who's died did you like yes or no? Because when well known people do die, that's when people tend to discuss them. On chat sites. Even football ones. So it's kinda of inevitable. Or why start a thread?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You sound a bit hysterical, It is not remotely close to a your comparisons, if they were then it would have been highly offensive and Goldstone wouldn't have done either therefore. Talk about over reaction. This is a football chat room and nobody knows her. If it were her official fan club or book of condolence then you'd have better grounds to lambast him. But it isn't and anyone finding offense in a comment saying they didn't find her funny in that context isn't the full ticket. Save your grief for someone you know. And your outrage for something a little more proportional. Or do we have to start a new thread to discuss anyone who's died did you like yes or no? Because when well known people do die, that's when people tend to discuss them. On chat sites. Even football ones. So it's kinda of inevitable. Or why start a thread?

Thank you. A reasonable comment in amongst the misplaced outrage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here