Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Propper

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Thought Propper had a great game yesterday, solid and hard working and made some very intelligent decisions. Stephens isn't quite there for me this season yet tho, possibly the one player yesterday who didn't have a good game.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I love the posts saying how he has improved after an iffy start against city.

I think you may see a few players this season improving after playing City :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was a critic of Propper, i don't think the criticism of him was unwarranted but yesterday he was super.

More a general point but your's is the one, of many, I've seen and am now going to comment on:-

Don't you feel a bit of a knob writing that after the FOURTH game into the season?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Proper-Job-Pump-Clip.png

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I've saw enough glimpses from him in the early games to know that if he settles and gels then he's going to be a good player for us. That seems to be happening thankfully.

On the flip side, I'm reluctant to post this after such a good win, but Stephens still has a question mark over him for me. Hopefully he's going to adjust to PL life and i definitely think he should keep the shirt after yesterday. I think he's quite lucky though that Sidwell is injured.

I thought he had a great game yesterday. I felt he had a poor game against City but in my opinion that looked a nervy performance rather than signs of a bad player. He looked much more settled yesterday and showed his class and no doubt was feeling more confident after his achievements for Holland during the week. He is going to be an influential player for us this season.

Stephens on the other hand is fortunate that both Kayal & Sidwell are injured because for me he is the one player who seems to be struggling to make the step up his season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed
Stephens was average again so maybe he drops out with Propper being partnered by Kayal / Sidwell

Stephens on the other hand is fortunate that both Kayal & Sidwell are injured because for me he is the one player who seems to be struggling to make the step up his season.
Is it not even a teeny weeny bit possible that Stephens is also learning his job, and potentially has more learning to do.

He's not a full international, but not only is his new partner, he is pretty much exclusively playing against the opposition who are, as well.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
We seemed to really settle down and posing a threat after about 20 mins and Propper appeared to be at the heart of that, moving the ball quickly and intelligently. He looked the classiest midfielder on the pitch.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The criticism he got after the Man City game was a bit OTT.
I guess I didn't read a lot of the criticism, but he did have a terrible game IMO. He just wasn't at the races.

He played better at Watford, played well for Holland and then well again yesterday. Looks like a good acquisition.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
More a general point but your's is the one, of many, I've seen and am now going to comment on:-

Don't you feel a bit of a knob writing that after the FOURTH game into the season?
Irrespective of number of games you play. Passing is a basic , identifying your players in your shirt is the most simplest of tasks. Against Man City, they only needed to stand around him for him to make a direct pass to them. They didn't need to intercept.

That was my point, granted you're making a general post - but that had been my criticism all along. He was getting the bare basics wrong.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Is it not even a teeny weeny bit possible that Stephens is also learning his job, and potentially has more learning to do.

He's not a full international, but not only is his new partner, he is pretty much exclusively playing against the opposition who are, as well.

No, it's more that people don't really understand what his job is on the pitch and therefore can't rate him based on that. They would prefer to see one instance of a poor touch and lots of recycling possession and conclude he's not up to par. Makes me wonder what kind of player they thought Delaney is.

As cliche as it is to say, he's one of those you notice more when he's not there.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot understand the people saying that Stephens should be replaced by Kayal or Sidwell when fit as I fel that he is learning about the step up in class of the midfield players and will prove to be the man he was last season. Both Sidwell and Kayal will come in and do a good job when needed but not as a replacement for Stephens. The sooner that Stephens and Propper have the understanding that Kayal and Stephens showed together in past seasons the better it will be for all of us and I am sure it isnt far away.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He was always looking to pass the ball forwards.
The criticism he got after the Man City game was a bit OTT. Looking forward to seeing him and Kayall play together.

Ideally he shouldn't (IMHO) have been dropped into the Citeh match - far too soon after his arrival. Saddly though, I don't think CH had much choice - Kayal was out injured, and I don't think Sidwell was fit either.

Last edited:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Or partnered by Gross when Izzy or Baldock are available again?

Oh for feck sake another proper/gross CM suggestion, thank christ you lot aren't in charge.

Alright i'll bite. Which one of those are you going to completely waste by playing deeper to break up play? Considering Gross is already struggling with the physicality of this division I would say the best bet is Propper. Top managing :thumbsup:

If you insist on criticising Stephens at least suggest a like-for-like replacement/competition in January, such as Delaney. The only legitimate cover for him we have as it stands is Sidwell.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh for feck sake another proper/gross CM suggestion, thank christ you lot aren't in charge.

Alright i'll bite. Which one of those are you going to completely waste by playing deeper to break up play? Considering Gross is already struggling with the physicality of this division I would say the best bet is Propper. Top managing :thumbsup:

If you insist on criticising Stephens at least suggest a like-for-like replacement/competition in January, such as Delaney. The only legitimate cover for him we have is Sidwell.
Humble apologies for contributing to the discussion. I'll try and make sure I don't barge in when experts like you are having a serious debate in future.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Humble apologies for contributing to the discussion. I'll try and make sure I don't barge in when experts like you are having a serious debate in future.

Genuine apologies if you thought I was singling you out, it was more a response to the general consensus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here