Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I can't agree that there will be few petrol cars in 2030. That is only 13 years away and I reckon there will be plenty of diesel and petrol cars still on the roads of the UK.
It is one hell of a leap to change from making a few electric cars to mass producing them at a price that the general public will be able to afford. Additionally, a huge change in infrastructure is required to enable recharging.I am no electrical engineer, but I venture to say that there will have to certain changes made to the electricity grid all over the country. How far off are we from batteries that will be able to cover a reasonable distance? As one Sky presenter said today, her smart phone battery won't last a circuit of the M25, let alone a car.
As far as air travel is concerned, let technology lead the way. Woebetide any Government who puts the mockers on global travel! The same can be said of the cruise liners, they belch out vast amounts of pollution, but are very popular. Any restrictions on the populace's ability to travel freely and as they wish will go down like a lead balloon. Lots of work to be done and I doubt we are as close to electric utopia as some would imagine.

The Tesla Model S can do up to 409 miles per charge, but is very expensive. The cheaper Model 3 will do over 200 miles per charge. The technology might not be here to completely replace the combustion engine just yet, but in it 5 years it will.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Most manufacturers are already planning to move to electric models anyway - Volvo is to stop making petrol/diesel cars in 2019 and you can bet others will follow. IMHO, there'll be few petrol cars in the UK by 2030 - or 2035 at the latest.

And we'll also have begun the move to self-driving models by then, car ownership will be way down.

The thing that baffles me is that there's this worldwide call to reduce air pollution by reducing carbon emissions yet, at the same time, there's a scramble to build more airports to support increased air traffic - increasing carbon emissions. That doesn't compute.

At the moment carbon emissions and air quality are generally at odds with each other as carbon emissions relate to total emissions whereas air quality relates primarily to emissions in urban areas. I.e. improving air quality through electric vehicles or bypasses often leads to greater carbon emissions.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Two things spring to mind ..
does making electricity on the scale it will be needed not generate pollution?
and when all these cars are plugged into chargers in terraced street, who will be liable for being sued by people who happen to trip over the cables?

quick let's start a new business in readiness - cable trip lawyers 4U

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The Tesla Model S can do up to 409 miles per charge, but is very expensive. The cheaper Model 3 will do over 200 miles per charge. The technology might not be here to completely replace the combustion engine just yet, but in it 5 years it will.

And at what price I wonder?
Will travel by personal transport become the preserve of the elite, once again?
Hmm, 200 miles. Wouldn't even get you to Cornwall without a lengthy stop along the way.
A massive, massive revolution will be required; I really don't understand why the Government have laid down such a wholesale ban on new petrol and diesel cars by 2040. Why not let technology take the lead. If the boffins are going to be clever enough to produce leccy vehicles that are acceptable in terms of price, mileage range and recharging times, then surely they would also be capable of producing petrol vehicles vastly superior to, even the pretty efficient cars of today. Look how much progress has been made over the last couple of decades.
The leccy will have to come from somewhere and windmills won't do it. Additionally, what about all the infrastructure needed for recharging and the sourcing of minerals for the productiion of batteries?
As I said in an earlier post, there are more questions than answers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Two things spring to mind ..
does making electricity on the scale it will be needed not generate pollution?
and when all these cars are plugged into chargers in terraced street, who will be liable for being sued by people who happen to trip over the cables?

quick let's start a new business in readiness - cable trip lawyers 4U

If you live in a block of flats, will the cables dangle out of the windows?

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
The government have not said cars have to be totally electric, just no solely diesel and petrol engines that doesn't mean there can't be diesel/petrol hybrids, this is the direction Volvo are going and I suspect so will a lot of other manufacturers, let's be honest the big oil companies pretty much dominate the industry already, you really think they'll sit back and say "oh well, it was good while it lasted" ?
Add to the fact the logistics of everyone being able to charge there cars, how for instance could someone that lives on the top floor of a tower block charge his car each night ? That's a bloody great extension lead he'll need !
No........hybrid cars will dominate with a lot more small solely electric cars in the towns, everyone's happy, the oil companies and the government still get their coin along with a lot less emissions, the manufacturers still get theirs, and the only ones getting mugged off are you and I.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
The grid wouldn't handle millions of cars all plugged in of an evening

Actually the technology is moving on at an incredible pace and by 2040 this won't be an issue. Houses will be fitted with battery technology that enables them to store energy during off-peak periods or from local renewable sources such as solar and wind and use it during peak periods. In fact there is a lot of work going on to find out if electric cars can actually help deal with peak demand, the car would be plugged in to the supply and then the house would access some power from the car battery during peak periods such as early evening and then recharge the car when demand dropped.

As it stands most people who have electric cars use the charging timers to ensure that they benefit from off peak energy prices, very few owners will plug in during peak periods.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
No new petrol/diesel cars from 2040, but how long will it take to work through the car parc, 20 years? for older vehicles to be scrapped.

Also unless the development of batteries has reach the stage where the range is up to 400 miles with all the usual electrics inside the car working, and a recharge takes no more than 15 minutes then the take up will still be below projections. This is assuming that the economy of scale has kicked in and the cost of new electrics is lower in comparison than now.

The life of the battery also needs to be resolved, as well as the position of the battery as to whether it is sold as part of the vehicle or leased from the manufacturer.

Also how far will the technology of self drive vehicles have advanced by 2040, as those on this thread who are already looking forward to their 80th birthdays, may still be fully mobile in a self drive vehicle.

Still 0-60 in 500 volts has a new ring as a dealers selling point.

A lot of your post is a throw back to concerns that were relevant to when electric vehicles first came out, for example the vehicles that are coming out over the few years will have ranges approaching 400 miles and within the next 10 years range will be no issue at all. In terms of charging I am a electric vehicle driver and I can get 80% charge from a 50kw rapid charger in less than 30mins. The very latest ones that are being installed are 400kw chargers where the power is boosted by battery technology, its clear that 15min chargers will not be an issue in the space of only a couple of years.

The battery life myth is also no longer relevant, my Nissan leaf has a warranty on the battery of 100,000 miles and there are Nissan leafs out there still going with the same battery that have clocked more than 150,000 miles, more than the average petrol car can manage. As is the case with my leaf it is very common for batteries now to be purchased outright.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The ambition is good but the practicalities for infrastructure are just mind-boggling.

Will there be charging posts outside every house with one-street parking? Will there be charging posts for every multi-story car parking space? At every railway station car park? At every supermarket and every place of work and along every high street? The work just to put these in, and the associated cabling will take 20 years plus.

Electric vehicles are very clearly the future, regardless of people's preferences. And those driving them now - or hybrids - should also be mindful that if they are unfortunate enough to involved in a serious RTC, then their problems have only just begun. For the Fire and Rescue Service, extricating casualties from petrol / diesel powered cars is a known quantity with regard to managing hazards. Electric vehicles present a whole new world of risk for both rescuer and casualty - with high voltage batteries, cables and cells etc concealed throughout the chassis, with different manufacturers taking different approaches. Cut the car in the wrong place and things can get very exciting very quickly...

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
The ambition is good but the practicalities for infrastructure are just mind-boggling.

Will there be charging posts outside every house with one-street parking? Will there be charging posts for every multi-story car parking space? At every railway station car park? At every supermarket and every place of work and along every high street? The work just to put these in, and the associated cabling will take 20 years plus.

When the range of a normal electric vehicle is in excess of 400 miles and a charge takes less than 15 mins (which will be the case in only a few years) why would you need charging points in multi-storey car parks, railway stations and supermarkets? The average range of a petrol car is around 400 miles and car parks don't have to provide the facility to fill up! Cars will be charged at home using primarily renewable sources and there will be rapid charging facilities scattered around in the same manner that there are currently petrol stations for diesel and petrol vehicles.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
In reality by the time this comes in we could well have a position where there are underground charging stations. The cars will pretty much all be driving themselves by then anyway so you call up your car, siri or Alexa an do this no doubt, it'll drive round from its charging garage, pick you up, drop you off where you want to go then it can go find itself someone to park or go back home and wait for you to call it back again. I don't see getting it charged as an issue.

The problem I see is that wrapped up in this announcement was also the fact that the Government is going to allow councils to combat air pollution but bringing in more congestion charges. So take our wonderful city council. They create horrendous congestion with their awful road system which we paid for, they then charge us for sitting in said congestion, and then charge us extortionate prices to park when we get there. And we just know how much Brighton loves the motorist! They must literally be there with a spread sheet now working out how much cash they are going to rake in from this.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Actually the technology is moving on at an incredible pace and by 2040 this won't be an issue. Houses will be fitted with battery technology that enables them to store energy during off-peak periods or from local renewable sources such as solar and wind and use it during peak periods. In fact there is a lot of work going on to find out if electric cars can actually help deal with peak demand, the car would be plugged in to the supply and then the house would access some power from the car battery during peak periods such as early evening and then recharge the car when demand dropped.

As it stands most people who have electric cars use the charging timers to ensure that they benefit from off peak energy prices, very few owners will plug in during peak periods.

A scientist I know is working in Norway on making hydrogen fuel cells for cars - whereby the only emissions are water. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, and the technology to power a car with these fuel cells is already there.

HOWEVER...

The hydrogen on this planet is largely attached to every other element, and extracting it from whatever compound it has formed a part of is very expensive and fuel-heavy. They're working on it, and they're getting there. We wait with bated breath.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In reality by the time this comes in we could well have a position where there are underground charging stations. The cars will pretty much all be driving themselves by then anyway so you call up your car, siri or Alexa an do this no doubt, it'll drive round from its charging garage, pick you up, drop you off where you want to go then it can go find itself someone to park or go back home and wait for you to call it back again. I don't see getting it charged as an issue.

The problem I see is that wrapped up in this announcement was also the fact that the Government is going to allow councils to combat air pollution but bringing in more congestion charges. So take our wonderful city council. They create horrendous congestion with their awful road system which we paid for, they then charge us for sitting in said congestion, and then charge us extortionate prices to park when we get there. And we just know how much Brighton loves the motorist! They must literally be there with a spread sheet now working out how much cash they are going to rake in from this.

Councils are seriously unhappy about being forced to charge to enter their towns. I suspect some kind of challenge will be put up in order so that it doesn't happen. That, or the government will drop it anyway.

Put it this way, there is a reason why no councils (aside from in central London) charge to use their roads...

Not sure what you mean about 'how much Brighton loves the motorist', mind. :shrug:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
People who say that car batteries don't hold charge long enough should just cast their minds back to how mobile phones have changed since the late 80s. If battery technology can advance so quickly for phones, they can advance quickly for cars.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
People who say that car batteries don't hold charge long enough should just cast their minds back to how mobile phones have changed since the late 80s. If battery technology can advance so quickly for phones, they can advance quickly for cars.

Bizarrely electric vehicles use glorified laptop/mobile phone batteries nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here