Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Would love to have Poland .

z21391382V,Kasia-Mos-podczas-kwalifikacji-do-Eurowizji-2017.jpg :thumbsup:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I turned off during the sorry wailing of the dwarfish Albanian. Was a tad uninspired by the few I saw, and the Swede had a punchable smugness. Still, the finals i'll sit through.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Iceland looked pretty hot and albania... nice blonde brunette combo

Looking at google images of them now and they don't look half as fit as they did last night...

The talent so far has been pretty poor and i am not just referring to the singing.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Top 10?!? Do me a favour, does the word 'Brexit' mean nothing to you? If we get ANY points it will be cause for celebration, even Russia are more popular than us.

No change there then. Putting in significant amounts of cash for little discernable benefit, constantly out voted .... sounds familiar. Vote LEAVE

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Eurovision tends to be segregated from politics, Russia was very unpopular given the invasion of the Ukraine. They came third. But if you do think that Brexit will make a difference it's worth considering how many non-EU countries are in the contest and of those that are you'd need each to be wholly critical of the UK for Brexit (not something I think is the case, take Greece for example).

Russia came third on the back of neighbouring states giving it a "please don't invade too!" twelve points.

The UK, by contrast, invoke not fear but contempt. The few points we manage to scrape together are usually from Western EU countries - the same guys we're Brexiting from.

If we pick up more than 20 points and finish outside of the bottom 5 I'll be amazed.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Russia came third on the back of neighbouring states giving it a "please don't invade too!" twelve points.

The UK, by contrast, invoke not fear but contempt. The few points we manage to scrape together are usually from Western EU countries - the same guys we're Brexiting from.

If we pick up more than 20 points and finish outside of the bottom 5 I'll be amazed.

Ha, I had an image of Putin watching shaking his fist...it's true that some neighbours scored Russia highly (e.g. Azerbaijan and Belarus) but other neighbours gave it some of the the lowest marks it received (Finland, Georgia, Lithuania). As I said it's the first time we've put up a decent act so I reckon we have a good chance of getting a half decent score, perhaps mid table. With the new voting format it's very tough to pick.

I'm not so sure that Western Europe has ever been a decent source of votes though, we seem to get Malta and Ireland each year but after that it's a mix. The countries who have voted for us since (and including 2013):
Malta, Ireland, Serbia, Estonia, Czech, Albania, Russia, Australia, San Marino, Denmark, Poland, Georgia, Norway, Iceland, Spain, Sweden, Slovenia and Romania.

Anyway, another semi final tomorrow which might throw up some outsiders. I wonder if they'll show the performances from the 'Big 5'? Seems a shame not to.

AndyH

Mar 10, 2012
Ha - well def not a double win for Ukraine .......but there again how they won last year was beyond me so anything is possible (especially in Eurovision) :lolol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ha - well def not a double win for Ukraine .......but there again how they won last year was beyond me so anything is possible (especially in Eurovision) :lolol:

They got invaded is how they won. The sympathy vote.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
:bounce:

Second semi-final starts in about 15 mins.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Romania with a mix of rap and yodelling...just in case anyone was finding this all too sensible. [emoji38]ol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Romania with a mix of rap and yodelling...just in case anyone was finding this all too sensible. [emoji38]ol:

I know nothing of any of the songs or artists, but I was hoping this one would succeed, just for being called Yodel It.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Running order has been decided, if you weren't aware this has been thought to affect the chances of an act, the earlier acts don't fare as well (the earliest slot to win was 10th) with the 17-21 slots being quite fruitful.
1. Israel
2. Poland
3. Belarus
4. Austria
5. Armenia
6. The Netherlands
7. Moldova
8. Hungary
9. Italy
10. Denmark
11. Portugal
12. Azerbaijan