Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Uber Eats

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
I did it for a short time up in Newcastle. Delivered mainly McDonalds and Greggs.

Best trick to get yourself a free feed -

1 - Ride to the restaurant you want to eat from, turn on your work app.

2- Turn on the customer app and order from that restaurant.

3 - The order will come to your work app as you are the closest person to the restaurant

4 - Pick up, ride home and eat. You will be paid for this delivery.

Need some perks!

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
All over Brighton although they have a boundary system so Brighton, hove, portslade are in uber zones. Never gone too far into hove. The Brighton zone is from hove to the marina and it's north to bevendean on one side and withdean the other. they pay more if you deliver in hove and more portslade but there are zero orders there. They can say they pay more but it is in zones without 'boost' - minimum pay is 2.80 this is at most times. You go to collect, wait then deliver for 2.80 when full boost is on and you go over 4 over miles it's about 4.50 quid, then back to town centre....that's usually a busy Saturday night to get the big bucks

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Uber’s more of an optional thing though you know what your getting.

Yeah I get that. I still reserve the right to think that the company is a disgrace.

As an aside, I'd not heard of this food service. Am I right in thinking that people actually pay £5 or whatever to get Gregg's sausage rolls and Big Macs delivered to them?

That's actually more of a disgrace.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
IDK, it is 3.50 a delivery

sometimes the deliveries are a stones throw, one was 50 metres walk behind the London road MDs, opposite the level. Guy answers the door in boxer shorts and looks like he is in a dope coma. This is not an untypical demographic.

Morning deliveries of MDs breakfasts to estates is another pattern

Answered my question. I missed this post. God help us all.

Oh and good luck with the work. I hope more people aren't scumbags and tip you. Although given the demographic I can see why that's unlikely.

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I worked for an Indian takeaway on deliveries many years ago.

I always remember a delivery I did.

It was 11pm, some git in Moulescoomb ordered at the last minute. I eventually found his house. I took the order out of my hotbox container, a dog, theirs was barking.

I got to the gate and suddenly the paper bag containing his meal gave way at the bottom, excess of oil overspill during my journey. I though s****.

They heard me coming because of the dog, they opened the door a fraction after their meal hit the pavement. The dog came running at me barking and stopped abruptly. Looked down and started scoffing their grub. :lol: :lol:

I apologised said they wouldn't have to pay and could order a free meal the next time.

Bloke said ok, gave me a fiver tip. We all won.

I got a fiver.
Bloke got his next meal free.
And Rover went to sleep with a full belly. :lol: :lol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I worked for an Indian takeaway on deliveries many years ago.

I always remember a delivery I did.

It was 11pm, some git in Moulescoomb ordered at the last minute. I eventually found his house. I took the order out of my hotbox container, a dog, theirs was barking.

I got to the gate and suddenly the paper bag containing his meal gave way at the bottom, excess of oil overspill during my journey. I though s****.

They heard me coming because of the dog, they opened the door a fraction after their meal hit the pavement. The dog came running at me barking and stopped abruptly. Looked down and started scoffing their grub. :lol: :lol:

I apologised said they wouldn't have to pay and could order a free meal the next time.

Bloke said ok, gave me a fiver tip. We all won.

I got a fiver.
Bloke got his next meal free.
And Rover went to sleep with a full belly. :lol: :lol:

Bloke was the loser the following morning when he had to scoop that lot up in his flimsy poo-bag though :D

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not any more. I delivered Pizza for a while and would get approx 1 tip in 5 deliveries. I was certain that I would get a tip from a couple that ordered at 10:45pm on Xmas Eve but sadly I was wrong.

I genuinely believe that this might stem from a lack knowledge of this custom in the UK, due to it being a relatively new trade.

I've always tipped cabbies, waiters and barbers, but never takeaway delivery people. I only found out a couple of weeks ago that some people do. Honest.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I genuinely believe that this might stem from a lack knowledge of this custom in the UK, due to it being a relatively new trade.

I've always tipped cabbies, waiters and barbers, but never takeaway delivery people. I only found out a couple of weeks ago that some people do. Honest.

Wanker! ��

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Are you really saying you've done 100 deliveries and yielded a grand total of £2 in tips?

Can customers tip via the app, as when getting a ride, or only in cash?

My only experience of Uber Eats was ordering a McDonalds (meal for one) for which there was a £3.50 delivery charge, which was about 50% of the cost of the meal (or 33% of total bill). When paying that much of a delivery charge I'm not going to tip on top.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
My only experience of Uber Eats was ordering a McDonalds (meal for one) for which there was a £3.50 delivery charge, which was about 50% of the cost of the meal (or 33% of total bill). When paying that much of a delivery charge I'm not going to tip on top.

Two options then.

1) Get off your arse and go to McDonalds yourself.

2) If you can't, for whatever reason, be grateful some badly paid serf is happy to bring it to you for a relative pittance taking into account his time, costs, and own need to eat - and tip him, for gods sake.

If the above two options don't appeal, get something out of the freezer and stick it in the oven.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ve never seen any where I live, tend to be delivered by the people working directly for the restaurant. And I always tip. I see lots in Brighton though and they are a pain in the ********. They seem to be able to push to front of queue at fast food places and the till monkeys break off from serving you to sort them out.
Many is the time I’ve had to remind the staff in these places that a golden rule of customer service is “Serve the person in front of you”.
The scooter ones gather in mobs up side streets from places like McDonalds. Very unsightly.
They don’t seem to care about their staff’s safety standards. Bombing around on push bikes with no reflectors wearing black clothes with a big black box on their back.
They pay alpallingly and are one of the worst of the new industries taking advantage of people who don’t have a lot of choice of work.
Reminds me of the boom in the 90’s of dreadlocked hedgemonkeys dashing around London’s delivering parcels on crapped out old bicycles.
Shameful business.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
My sisters boyfriend delivers on a scooter for Deliveroo. He earns round £500/600 a week and works when he wants.....

Which makes it sound like he does 3 hours a week after crawling out of bed, scratching his arse at 2pm and clocking in for 30 minutes. I'm sure that's not the case...

You don't earn that amount in the "gig economy" without some serious graft.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My sisters boyfriend delivers on a scooter for Deliveroo. He earns around £500/600 a week and works when he wants.

I'm actually a bit jealous.

Not bad at all. Must put some hours in though. Must be easier to earn with a scooter.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Which makes it sound like he does 3 hours a week after crawling out of bed, scratching his arse at 2pm and clocking in for 30 minutes. I'm sure that's not the case...

You don't earn that amount in the "gig economy" without some serious graft.

Brighton is a very small place packed with tons of restaurants (the most restaurants and pubs per swuare mile in the uk), When you consider Brighton & Hove's affluence, student scene, many london commuters getting home late and tired. Plus it's the 2nd most densely populated city in the UK almost on par with London. Maybe this city is an exception in terms of what they can earn in the courier business? Either way, I don't see the harm. Being ill and having a sushi meal and a freshly juiced drink, delivered to your door in under 30 mins is something we would've dreamt of only a few years back. Definitely an industry this city benefits from.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here