Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Disruption will be something we will have to adapt to, for Christ sake people should be checked coming into or out of a country.

Er ... we already are. You have to show your passports on boarding Eurostar (and coming back to the UK, but not arriving in France or Belgium)

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
You seem to be having an argument with yourself. On the one hand you say that Sky are scaremongering tw**s for reporting that Eurostar could be disrupted and on the other you say that it's a jolly good thing and something we should get used to. You can't have it both ways surely?

I think it was the Netflix, Spotify thingy that sent me over the edge. :angry::lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Disruption will be something we will have to adapt to, for Christ sake people should be checked coming into or out of a country.

As I’ve said before. That’s fine for you...but investors will take their money and time elsewhere if it’s a ball ache getting into the U.K. I wonder how much Brighton will suffer if international conferences etc are moved to an easier location?

Part of me is of the view that no-deal could be a good thing. If Britain is brought to its chaotic knees it means a future, more modern and forward thinking and outward looking, government will be up for rejoining.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
As I’ve said before. That’s fine for you...but investors will take their money and time elsewhere if it’s a ball ache getting into the U.K. I wonder how much Brighton will suffer if international conferences etc are moved to an easier location?

Part of me is of the view that no-deal could be a good thing. If Britain is brought to its chaotic knees it means a future, more modern and forward thinking, government will be up for rejoining.

In my experience it can be a ball ache getting into a lot of countries, don't single us out. :wink:

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
It's not the passport checks that will cause disruption as they already take place. The extra time consuming process will be baggage searches by customs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I don't think he thinks he can stop this. He merely thinks that anyone who has tried to explain how Brexit will work in our favour have been shown to be wrong, which is annoying to say the least. It isn't terribly usful to respond to this with various different types of scorn. There are some on here whose line sems to be 'ha ha, you lost, everything will be great and, er if it all turns out to be horrible, I don't care'. School playground stuff. Oh well.

To be honest with you Harry there has been scorn,abuse and playground tittle tattle from all sides. With myself receiving plenty. It's ok I've got a very thick skin.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Netflix and Spotify things sound a bit silly, but can you explain how you think Eurostar could possibly NOT be 'disrupted' by the new requirement to passport check every arriving passenger??

dont they have passport checks on Eurostar anyway? on account of security, not knowing if passenger is EU citizen and us not being in Schengen area.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
dont they have passport checks on Eurostar anyway? on account of security, not knowing if passenger is EU citizen and us not being in Schengen area.

Indeed. In exactly the same way you have to show your passport when entering the UK via plane and ferry.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
So here we have a Cabinet that is teetering on the edge of implosion, cocking up Universal Benefit, promising an end to austerity while planning a tax clawback in the Budget, building lorry parks on the M25 without telling anyone, watching as local authorities collapse and negotiating the most important peace-time deal in history. Bloody hell, we're in the sh*t!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Has any else noticed that our first extension of EU membership (full fees, no input) has had it's name changed from 'Implementation' to 'Transition'.

It couldn't be that we are finally seeing a bit of forward planning, and realise they may need names for further extensions to membership down the line. After all, if we leave it at Implementation we've really only got Post Implementation Support (phase 1) left haven't we :lolol:

Should we have a poll to name the next extension(s) to EU membership ?

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
So here we have a Cabinet that is teetering on the edge of implosion, cocking up Universal Benefit, promising an end to austerity while planning a tax clawback in the Budget, building lorry parks on the M25 without telling anyone, watching as local authorities collapse and negotiating the most important peace-time deal in history. Bloody hell, we're in the sh*t!

Interesting that Universal Credits should crop up again. I used it as an example of the Government's inability to implement change just over a year ago. Here we are 12 months on, and in the exact same position that we were back then. I even highlighted that you couldn't fall into a 'no deal' a year ago and yet you still hear it from Brexiteers.

You may remember Universal Benefits being the Big thing prior to Brexit. As the biggest project the civil service has been running for the last 4 years, they have managed to roll it out to 10% (about 600,000 people) of the required population and it is beset by errors and problems leading to discussion about whether to hold the rollout until these are resolved.

This is the same organisation which is going to rollout all of the changes created by Brexit in the next 18 months (3.5 years for those who believe the implementation period). None of these changes have yet been agreed meaning no work can commence on them. Even a WTO 'no deal' will need to be implemented.

Whatever your political alliances, surely a little common sense will tell you that there are huge issues staring us in the face. The Government (whoever that consists of !) will have to fudge. The timescales which are currently being talked about are ridiculous :facepalm:

Spooky

MYSTIC-MEG_2882318b.jpg

Whatever side of the argument you are on, it must be blindingly obvious now that this isn't going to happen in the next 2 years, let alone 5.5 months

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Probably a good idea to steer clear of the medicine cabinet and the knife draw today ...

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
No Deal notices...

UK Government advice suggests UK companies with large EU biz “consider whether they need to restructure” - eg by moving domicile/inc - for No Deal Brexit.

First time in history a UK Govt effectively suggested shifting HQs out of UK

https://t.co/p1WsX2BARV https://t.co/hfMFzquByb

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I simply can’t compute how anyone can think this is a good idea.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I simply can’t compute how anyone can think this is a good idea.

I thought you wanted everybody to move out so we could fail as a country?Make your mind up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here