Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Jack's

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can't agree with your 'half-arsed and knee-jerk' comments.
Tesco management under the leadership of 'Drastic Dave Lewis' have gone a long way to restore the company's reputation and so far have made a good fist of it as the profits and share price show.I don't think panic is in his vocabulary, but yes, retail has changed and the discounters have nicked a substantial amount of market share from the established operators.It remains to be seen how successful the rollout of this new format will be, but the management obviously think it is worth a go.
And yes, I am a shareholder in Tesco!:D
Can't speak for Harvey's IPA as I have never tried it. Of the several so called craft beers I have tried, I reckon only a small percentage are worth the price charged, but hey-ho each to their own.:cheers:

Reckon customers who currently go to Tesco's will still go to Tesco's, whether it be their local Tesco Express or their local Tesco Superstore. Whether they're re-branded as Jacks or whether they're not. And customers of ALDI or LIDL will just keep on doing exactly what they're currently doing. Which is comfortably saving on Tesco's prices.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Jacks will only stock a very limited range of lines, unlike the vast choice you get in the Tesco stores.

Hmmm. May as well keep going to Aldi then. I'm struggling to see where these new shops will fit in. Although if they put one where the Tesco used to be up the road from me then I'll probably use it for convenience.

That was one of the stores that was closed in another "knee jerk" reaction. It was always packed, being the only local supermarket and opposite a school, and yet it was deemed surplus to requirements. The idea that it wasn't making money was ludicrous.

I get that the new CEO had to make a statement as Tesco was in a mess but I'll never believe that the closure of many of the shops was down to anything but just that (rather than simple economics). There were far deeper problems with the company (which I understand he has done well to address), the store closures (or at least some of them) were the face of it. "Look, I'm doing something!".

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Tesco have just announced their new method of milk dispensing...still in the original container by all accounts...

index.jpeg

I suppose it might work?

TNBA

TTF

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Jacks are a Johnny come lately to the discount retail game. Aldi & Lidl are the established masters in their field. When they first appeared on the scene, there was a snob factor about shopping in the German discounters. Not so much the case now. I see parallels between Jacks & 'Go' who were the low cost subsidiary of British Airways. The big idea was to take on the likes of Easyjet in the low cost airline business. They missed the boat & the concept was a total flop. BA ended up selling Go - to Easyjet.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Jacks are a Johnny come lately to the discount retail game. Aldi & Lidl are the established masters in their field. When they first appeared on the scene, there was a snob factor about shopping in the German discounters. Not so much the case now. I see parallels between Jacks & 'Go' who were the low cost subsidiary of British Airways. The big idea was to take on the likes of Easyjet in the low cost airline business. They missed the boat & the concept was a total flop. BA ended up selling Go - to Easyjet.

Aldi and Lidl's cut is still small, but growing, with a lot of consumers still sniffy.

But their food's actually really good.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Agreed.

I bought some chocolate fudge from M&S yesterday (whole range of chocs for £2 a go).

The fudge was in a sealed foiled bag, contained in a cardboard box with plastic film outer casing. Totally unnecessary.

Had you down as more of a Ripple man. Not sure why.

8585911_orig.jpg

Aldi and Lidl's cut is still small, but growing, with a lot of consumers still sniffy.

But their food's actually really good.

Agree, often get asked, can you get """"" from Lidl, it's much nicer than the Waitrose one".

We are luck in having Lidl, Morrison and Waitrose within sight of each other with a Tesco elsewhere in the town. Makes it easy to "cherry pick" our favourites.

With Lidl and Aldi you also get the chance to buy things like welding kits or wet suits with your weekly shop.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I wish the government would ban all unnecessary packaging on food.

When I'm abroad in Europe I love going into the supermarket and picking from the piles of fresh fruit and veg. Their fish and meat counters are amazing as well, so much fresher than the packet stuff you get over here.

All completely true but the levels of wastage will be far higher than the sanitised pre bagged/boxed versions.

As for Jack’s - conceptually they’re so far behind the other low cost retailers and actually won’t do what they do - I.e buy local excellent fresh produce and mix it in with cheaper continental alternatives on other groceries - that it’s almost pointless competing.

The big four are forgetting that their answer to this previously were the simple/basics/value brand solutions which is effectively taking an inferior product with no flavour and selling it cheaper and that didn’t exactly punch the lights out.

Personally I think it’s an ill conceived idea with little to know long term viability. If you have to disguise the fact it’s a Tesco by not using that name/brand then you’re admitting your brand has no chance against the likes of Lidl/Aldi. Consumers aren’t as ignorant as the past and will know the link and probably vote with their feet accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If it's supposed to be as good quality but cheaper than Tesco's then why should anyone continue to shop at Tesco's? Have they thought this one through? [emoji23]

Exactly the same.

#TapsNoseKnowingly.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Lidl doesn't see or market itself as a discount store. It merely finds the most efficient way to stock and sell and passes the savings onto customers and pays staff well, therefore it is popular and very, very successful. Across the continent it is not regarded as a discount store but simply the place to shop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here