Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm nearing the end of fairly intensive 5 week swim, bike and run training effort. It's been very enjoyable. The results so far are losing 10lbs of belly fat, increased upper body strength and losing 5-10% running pace due to tired legs. Swimming kick has exhausted thighs and cycling threatened hamstrings, glutes and knees. Just survived.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Despite your logic being flawless, I'm not sure I can meet all of those terms!

I'll aim for a couple though, starting with a parkrun no faster than 22. In fact that sounds like a treat rather than a punishment right now.

Don't wear your New Balance Racers. You need cushioning. Have you been icing the feet?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm nearing the end of fairly intensive 5 week swim, bike and run training effort. It's been very enjoyable. The results so far are losing 10lbs of belly fat, increased upper body strength and losing 5-10% running pace due to tired legs. Swimming kick has exhausted thighs and cycling threatened hamstrings, glutes and knees. Just survived.

Blimey: sounds like a new [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] has been engineered! The old 100 press ups in 2 minutes challenge awaits...…………….

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Lost 10lb? There'll be nothing left of you soon!

I completed the Shoreham-by-Sea Triathlon this morning – including a 1.2-mile run back to T1 :lol: – in just over three hours, I think. So there is a pretty easy target to smash. Total running was 8.4 miles (didn't include the run TO the beach) and the run leg averaged 8:32min/miles, which was a surprise. Swim wasn't bad either... All done by 9am.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Blimey: sounds like a new [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] has been engineered! The old 100 press ups in 2 minutes challenge awaits...…………….

I completed the Shoreham-by-Sea Triathlon this morning – including a 1.2-mile run back to T1 – in just over three hours, I think. So there is a pretty easy target to smash. Total running was 8.4 miles (didn't include the run TO the beach) and the run leg averaged 8:32min/miles, which was a surprise. Swim wasn't bad either... All done by 9am.

The second reply would be nearer the truth.................Looks like the Ironman training is going well.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The second reply would be nearer the truth.................Looks like the Ironman training is going well.

Yeah, it's going OK. The long-distance stuff is where it'll really make the difference – this morning was more just a bit of fun and a target I'd set myself of doing one as the training builds. Still need to work on the nutrition and fluid intake. I got home and had two 500ml bottles of drink straight away – not good!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Have you fully thought this through?

I hope it won't end in tears when you find a couple you can't get! [emoji16]

Yes indeed! I think there's a bit of a Parkrun sub-culture which has folk (all former train-spotters!) compiling an alphabet of parkruns attempted. It's only 24 and with no Z or X (unless you nip over to Poland). Obviously it's a bit tricky being right down here on the coast but I've managed so far all but A, D, I, J, K, O, U and V.

Got to dash to check on my stamp collection...……………..

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I completed the Shoreham-by-Sea Triathlon this morning – including a 1.2-mile run back to T1 :lol: – in just over three hours, I think. So there is a pretty easy target to smash. Total running was 8.4 miles (didn't include the run TO the beach) and the run leg averaged 8:32min/miles, which was a surprise. Swim wasn't bad either... All done by 9am.

Absolute respect :thumbsup:

I did the slowest five mile run I've done in years this evening at 5 when it was hotter than Satan's underpants. Came home and consumed double the calories I'd burned in pasta bolognese and iced fruit juice. May be having an ice cream as I type.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I did the slowest five mile run I've done in years this evening at 5 when it was hotter than Satan's underpants. Came home and consumed double the calories I'd burned in pasta bolognese and iced fruit juice. May be having an ice cream as I type.

Ice cream is my post long run battle weapon. Ben and Jerry’s usually.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Funnily enough I wasn't hungry at all after I'd finished. Thirsty as hell, but wasn't too fussed about eating. Five miles is five miles – whatever the pace. Tough in the evening too as it's still so bloody hot!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No ice cream for me yesterday after run but more ice. A steady 6 miler was curtailed at 4 miles with a different part of same calf suddenly seizing. It was at the Palace Pier again, which meant another 2 mile walk/hobble home.
Heavy icing for 15" every 2 hours 5 times yesterday worked miraculously and has already got it into fast walking mode this morning. So cycling tomorrow and swimming today.

Have to nurse it for running, no Parkrun temptation, and think positively for the Sprint Tri showdown. It should get me to within a mile of the finish.......bloody emigrants moving to Canada with their healing hands, Malcolm Stuart away and not taking on new patients.
Any one visit healers please notify me on here or by pm.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I’m in the same game as you and seriously considering a visit to Wroclaw or Dresden as the only two Z parkruns in the world are between those cities.

Also the only J is Jersey, which isn’t ideal at all. I’m going collect Y at either York or Yeovil before Newcastle/Bournemouth away this season.

Where did you go to tick off Q?

J is a bugger isn't it? Mrs GNT seems to be keen on a visit to Jersey though. Yeovil is great - in the grounds of a fabulous stately home. Q is an easy one if you are down here - Queen Elizabeth Park in Hampshire. When I say 'easy' I'm not referring to the course itself as it's a beast and the hardest one I've done.
We should compare anoraks some time!.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
No ice cream for me yesterday after run but more ice. A steady 6 miler was curtailed at 4 miles with a different part of same calf suddenly seizing. It was at the Palace Pier again, which meant another 2 mile walk/hobble home.
Heavy icing for 15" every 2 hours 5 times yesterday worked miraculously and has already got it into fast walking mode this morning. So cycling tomorrow and swimming today.

Have to nurse it for running, no Parkrun temptation, and think positively for the Sprint Tri showdown. It should get me to within a mile of the finish.......bloody emigrants moving to Canada with their healing hands, Malcolm Stuart away and not taking on new patients.
Any one visit healers please notify me on here or by pm.

That's bad news. The thing about calves is tat you never know when the buggers are going to 'go'. I'm nursing mine and hope to do a parkrun Saturday. I'm more and more convinced that it's speed (rather than distance or elevation) that does them in.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m tempted to chuck the NBs in the bin. They are fast but I suspect they are the cause of my problems as I’ve been wearing them a lot in the last few weeks as my (much more robust) ASICS have a bit of sole hanging off. I feel like they give zero protection.

No icing but I have been rolling over all types of canned food!

Freeze a small bottle of water (not 100% full) and use that.......

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That's bad news. The thing about calves is tat you never know when the buggers are going to 'go'. I'm nursing mine and hope to do a parkrun Saturday. I'm more and more convinced that it's speed (rather than distance or elevation) that does them in.

Two weeks ago outside of calf went immediately as I started an interval session. So speed. Yesterday middle of calf at 8:30 pace but not much distance. I don't like to google it as it is often referred to as an old man's injury.

Good news is it's loosened already. Bad news is the sudden failures. I think [MENTION=21215]Dazzer6666 [/MENTION] mentioned a while back about nerve issues. So I'm going to spend some time on my spine which feels tight and work those hip adductor so.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
19 deg and 40 mph south westerlies tomorrow morning has Hove Park written all over it. Oh yeah, and Mrs Simgull is Run Director so it’s vene more written all over it for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here