Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brighton's homeless and that Victor Meldrew feeling

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
It does seem to be getting worse recently, there are little camps/improvised covers making tents around the back of the Prince Regent, all along North Street there are quilt covers and shit all over the streets., I have seen drunks/druggies fighting, and swearing early in the morning all over town, it is not pretty is it.
Something needs to be done, don't ask me what, but it is an eyesore and not a very good advert for the city, and actually pisses me off that there seems no end.

Agree with you 100%. It's embarrassing to see these filthy creatures on our streets. Some solutions:
!. Have the council pick up all their trash including bedding as soon as they leave the spot where they've been sleeping. At that points it is garbage and the council is doing it's job by cleaning the streets.
2. Have the police move them on constantly. They're loitering.
3. Board up the doorways of empty shops so they can't set up camp in a doorway like the old HMV store in Western Road.

4. Make it illegal for the public to give them food, drink, or money. If they got nothing they might just feck off.

5. The best way to deal with the ones camped outside occupied shops is for the shop owners to throw water over them … got to clean the outside of my shop.

Too many Brightonians seem to want to make them welcome. Why? Like the bunch who occasionally set up a food station at the Clock Tower. It just attracts them like flies.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Agree with you 100%. It's embarrassing to see these filthy creatures on our streets. Some solutions:
!. Have the council pick up all their trash including bedding as soon as they leave the spot where they've been sleeping. At that points it is garbage and the council is doing it's job by cleaning the streets.
3. Board up the doorways of empty shops so they can't set up camp in a doorway like the old HMV store in Western Road.

4. Make it illegal for the public to give them food, drink, or money. If they got nothing they might just feck off.

5. The best way to deal with the ones camped outside occupied shops is for the shop owners to throw water over them … got to clean the outside of my shop.

Too many Brightonians seem to want to make them welcome. Why? Like the bunch who occasionally set up a food station at the Clock Tower. It just attracts them like flies.

Where's the money for the extra police and council action coming from then (points 1,2 & 4)? Both have had budgets slashed since 2010.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

If I was a rough sleeper and read your post I think it might just tip me over the edge of my misery and off the pier ..... well done you :nono:

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008

Just come back from a meeting concerning "Tentees" and drug dealing in St Nicholas Rest Gardens and Im afraid your suggestions are not solutions as its against the law to move someone in a tent once theyve put it up . The council have to go through due process which takes about 7 days per tent .

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Homelessness in England has increased by 54% since 2010.

I wish I could think of something of political significance that happened around that time.

Could be also the fact that the population has increased significantly since 1997,I wish I could think of political significance that happened around that time..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Now I have become quite use to seeing the campsite at the bottom of West Street expand from a mess to one tent then to two but still think that it looks horrible on the main tourist route down from the station. I was therefore surprised to see it all gone this morning and thought at last !!!! :)

However while out lunchtime today I saw a man fast asleep on the pavement outside the Old Ship with all his belongings around him. No shoes on and socks held together by holes. Sleeping not far away from people eating. What a bloody great advert for the City.

Then reading the Argus later I read about another homeless man who pitched his tent illegally on the beach and because the Council didn't follow the correct protocol when removing it, he received £1,500 compo.

How can these people just sleep where they like and be able to leave their crap on pavements during the day?

I have no problem with them at night if they sleep in doorways etc rather than use Hostels, and I know all the 'there for the grace of god' argument but they should be made to take their stuff with them in the morning or know it will be thrown away.

Rant over.

One of the ex-homeless people I work with was on the streets as a result of mental health issues that arose from being repeatedly gang raped and sodomised by his uncles from the age of 4 and his time on the streets extended due to service cuts.

Another was homeless because her violent ex partner kept her locked up in a cupboard and she was unable to make her appointments, resulting in being sanctioned. When a keyworker came to her house to visit her the boyfriend kidnapped the key worker and raped her repeatedly. When he wa put in prison the girlfriend was made homeless. She's been raped about 8 times on the street.

I'll show them your post and see if they have any suggestions to make your life easier.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It does seem to be getting worse recently, there are little camps/improvised covers making tents around the back of the Prince Regent, all along North Street there are quilt covers and shit all over the streets., I have seen drunks/druggies fighting, and swearing early in the morning all over town, it is not pretty is it.
Something needs to be done, don't ask me what, but it is an eyesore and not a very good advert for the city, and actually pisses me off that there seems no end.

People with perfectly good homes to go to leave a lot more shit / piss / food / litter on the street after a night out than the homeless do. Yet here we are ''bashing'' the more vulnerable in our society. Put some National and Local Government money into tackling the causes of the problem instead of just putting money into employing people to move the problem on into someone else's doorstep.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The problem is getting worse in Brighton and many other towns, Worthing too has its problems with homelessness and its associated problems.

It's not going to get any better because there are not the financial resources to tackle the problem as is and the spiralling price of accommodation combined with poor wages is increasing the numbers of people who are spiralling down to the bottom to join them.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
And national Government seeing how this isn't a problem specific to Brighton and that homlessness in England has increased by 54% since 2010.

We have a Government that pursues policies that are actively driving people onto the streets. Fine, if that's what we want, but to pretend otherwise is insane.

Here's the numbers if anyone can actually be arsed rather than pretend they have no idea what is going on - https://assets.publishing.service.g...Statistical_Release_January_to_March_2016.pdf

Austerity policies have probably had some effect but aren't you missing something? What percentage of that 54% was down to a rise in foreign-born nationals sleeping on our streets? I seem to remember a report that well over 50% in London are foreign born and most of them come from EU countries.

I also remember a ruling where the courts said deporting homeless people from EEA countries contravenes EU law.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Some of the homeless are early risers as they have Taxis booked to pick them up from their flats ready for the commute to their regular town center pitch .

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Now I have become quite use to seeing the campsite at the bottom of West Street expand from a mess to one tent then to two but still think that it looks horrible on the main tourist route down from the station. I was therefore surprised to see it all gone this morning and thought at last !!!! :)

However while out lunchtime today I saw a man fast asleep on the pavement outside the Old Ship with all his belongings around him. No shoes on and socks held together by holes. Sleeping not far away from people eating. What a bloody great advert for the City.

Then reading the Argus later I read about another homeless man who pitched his tent illegally on the beach and because the Council didn't follow the correct protocol when removing it, he received £1,500 compo.

How can these people just sleep where they like and be able to leave their crap on pavements during the day?

I have no problem with them at night if they sleep in doorways etc rather than use Hostels, and I know all the 'there for the grace of god' argument but they should be made to take their stuff with them in the morning or know it will be thrown away.

Rant over.

A lot of the main route through the city looks pretty horrible to be fair.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
I nearly choked on my fair trade apple when I saw a beggar outside the Co-Op at Fiveways. The horror.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Homelessness was the lowest since records began in this country on 31 December 2010.

Homelessness_main_graph_March_18_update.png

It has been increasing for various reasons but it's true to say it has been a lot-lot worse.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Homelessness_main_graph_March_18_update.png

It has been increasing for various reasons but it's true to say it has been a lot-lot worse.

That's 'Homeless Duty' in local authorities though and the law was changed in 2002 to extend it to other vulnerable people. Homelessness is also completely different to rough sleeping.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here