Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Spotify

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Running. Hated it at school, tried a few times in my 20’s to try to be match fit for football but it was never more than a means to an end.

I then had a chat with a guy I vaguely knew at a party in Brighton four years ago. He puffs 20 a day and drinks like there’s no tomorrow, but had just run the Brighton marathon.

I was in my early 50’s, conscious of an expanding waistline and my life was getting increasingly sofa bound. So I bought some running shoes, joined a club with the aim of doing ParkRun, and within weeks I was hooked. Being a numbers nerd helped as PB’s, MPW and many other metrics, and loved every minute of it. I found it wasn’t just improving my physical health but my mental well-being too.

The running community is supportive, inclusive and non-judgemental, and I’ve made new friends and acquaintances (some via NSC runners).

The last 18 months have been tough as I’ve had a knee problem that was misdiagnosed and have been unable to pound the streets. It’s a genuine loss for me as the weight has piled on due to self pity and lack of focus, but hoping to see a consultant & have knee reconstruction soon that may be initially debilitating but will get me back on the road again.

Running a marathon is my greatest personal accomplishment as I’m easily distracted and lack commitment as a rule, but the support I received from people whilst training who barely knee me was humbling.

If you’ve not tried it, give it a go. Whether your goal is a 5k or more it is great for mind, body and soul.

sorry that made me laugh! Great story though, hope you're back out there real soon

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here