Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] New iPhones - 2018 edition

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The most exciting day of the year is nearly upon us.

Yes, it's not long now until Apple unveil this year's new iPhones allowing Apple fanboys to swoon over the new shiny things, whilst also allowing those in Android-land to tell anyone who will listen "that's now new - we've had <insert feature here> for years".

Everything suggests there will be three new iPhones this year:

- A 6.5" update to the iPhone X, supposedly the biggest-screen phone on the market, and called iPhone XS.
- A 5.8" update to the iPhone X, confusingly also called iPhone XS.
- A new budget-priced phone of the iPhone X form factor, ie with the notch (that nearly everyone else has copied)

Roll on September 12th.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Will you be bringing NSC down to implement a mobile-friendly design and finally drag NSC kicking and screaming out of the last decade?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
- A new budget-priced phone of the iPhone X form factor, ie with the notch (that nearly everyone else has copied)

Everyone has copied it, but the notches on the Essential Phone and Sharp's Aquos S2 pre-dated the iPhone X's by a few months. They're all shit. The sooner they move onto the next fad the better.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I was just reading up on the news this morning, lots of confidence that the leaked reports are true. Looking forward to getting myself an XS

I'm going for the XL

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'm waiting until November when the new, new one is announced.

You're kidding me .... I've been holding off for the Sep update and now you tell me once I get this some smug t**t's going to say "Oh, you didn't hold out for the new one then?"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You're kidding me .... I've been holding off for the Sep update and now you tell me once I get this some smug t**t's going to say "Oh, you didn't hold out for the new one then?"

The suggestion is it's going to be the "budget" version that is going to be delayed. Assuming you want one of the full-fat phones, you should be good for September, subject to the usual hassles of finding one to buy anyway.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The suggestion is it's going to be the "budget" version that is going to be delayed. Assuming you want one of the full-fat phones, you should be good for September, subject to the usual hassles of finding one to buy anyway.

Phew, I thought I'd been sat here smugly aroused for the last couple of months for nothing! :drool::clap2::smile:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I've just discovered that in 1997, when Steve Jobs returned to Apple, they were weeks away from bankruptcy, he reached out to his arch rival Bill Gates to help keep Apple afloat.

Microsoft were under investigation at that time, for running a monopoly within the home computer market and could not afford to allow their only real competitor go to the wall. So Gates agreed to help and actually pumped $150m into Apple, the company survived and the rest is history.

Im not sure if it was Microsoft or if Gates personally stumped up the cash, but either way it was a smart investment. In 1997 Apple was trading at around $3.56 a share, today they go for $228.36.

That $150m is now worth over $9.5b.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've just discovered that in 1997, when Steve Jobs returned to Apple, they were weeks away from bankruptcy, he reached out to his arch rival Bill Gates to help keep Apple afloat.

Microsoft were under investigation at that time, for running a monopoly within the home computer market and could not afford to allow their only real competitor go to the wall. So Gates agreed to help and actually pumped $150m into Apple, the company survived and the rest is history.

Im not sure if it was Microsoft or if Gates personally stumped up the cash, but either way it was a smart investment. In 1997 Apple was trading at around $3.56 a share, today they go for $228.36.

They sold them in 2003 and....

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/microsoft...-apple-was-craziest-thing-we-ever-did-1525752

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

That $150m also bought Microsoft the license to write Office for Mac OS. Like you said, this helped both companies at the time.

Amazing how much involvement Gates had with Apple over the years. Supposedly Microsoft had more people working on the first Apple Mac than Apple did. Hence Jobs felt betrayed when Microsoft released Windows, based on all the work they'd done for Apple. Mid 80s, 50% of Microsoft revenue was through Apple software they wrote.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
That $150m also bought Microsoft the license to write Office for Mac OS. Like you said, this helped both companies at the time.

Amazing how much involvement Gates had with Apple over the years. Supposedly Microsoft had more people working on the first Apple Mac than Apple did. Hence Jobs felt betrayed when Microsoft released Windows, based on all the work they'd done for Apple. Mid 80s, 50% of Microsoft revenue was through Apple software they wrote.

Strange that Apple didn't get Gates to sign a Content NDA, considering he had already licenced ms dos, which he bought for just $50k, to IBM.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Will you be bringing NSC down to implement a mobile-friendly design and finally drag NSC kicking and screaming out of the last decade?

I'll take that as a no then, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here