Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
As the Tory % is pretty much the same as it was when the election was called, is the Labour surge at least down to tactical 'anyone but the Tories' voting?

One would think so - there is a lot of social media activity around a 'progressive alliance' with a website suggesting who you should vote for in each constituency to get the Tories out. As far as the poll trends are concerned, a lot may depend on the wording of questions asked by the pollsters. If asked which party I support, I would normally answer 'Labour'. If directly asked who I will vote for on June 8, I would answer 'Green' (tactical vote in Brighton Pavilion). Either way, as several notable psephologists have already commented in the media, the polls have never moved this much before during an election campaign, so at least it makes the last week or so more interesting than it might have been.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
As the Tory % is pretty much the same as it was when the election was called, is the Labour surge at least down to tactical 'anyone but the Tories' voting?

I guess that would be partially it, but I don't think you can ignore the fact that recent Labour policies have been generally well received. Yes the Tories say they cant be paid for and yes some people say they like the policies, but not the man, but maybe Corbyn's policies are actually attracting voters?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
JC will say anything if it pleases someone ahead of the election, believe it if you will, but don't whinge when at least half of what Labour have promised is not done, or that the other half is costing YOU an awful lot more than you were ever warned about.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I guess that would be partially it, but I don't think you can ignore the fact that recent Labour policies have been generally well received. Yes the Tories say they cant be paid for and yes some people say they like the policies, but not the man, but maybe Corbyn's policies are actually attracting voters?

I'm sure it's a mix of the 2.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
JC will say anything if it pleases someone ahead of the election, believe it if you will, but don't whinge when at least half of what Labour have promised is not done, or that the other half is costing YOU an awful lot more than you were ever warned about.

sounds like the Torys in 2010 and 2015 !

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Yes, but the point about the single market, as HKFC and others have pointed out, is that you can't honour the referendum decision to leave the EU and at the same time stay in the single market, without accepting freedom of movement. There's been nothing to suggest that Corbyn has ever thought that freedom of movement is a good idea - his world view is one in which you need to protect British workers' jobs and their wages by controlling migration (based on a highly dubious understanding of the economics of migration IMO). So, unlike some other policy areas, I think there is zero chance of a Corbyn U-turn on this, even if he were to win the election.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yes, but the point about the single market, as HKFC and others have pointed out, is that you can't honour the referendum decision to leave the EU and at the same time stay in the single market, without accepting freedom of movement. There's been nothing to suggest that Corbyn has ever thought that freedom of movement is a good idea - his world view is one in which you need to protect British workers' jobs and their wages by controlling migration (based on a highly dubious understanding of the economics of migration IMO). So, unlike some other policy areas, I think there is zero chance of a Corbyn U-turn on this, even if he were to win the election.

He would sell his grandmother if it kept the Momentum rabble behind him.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
One would think so - there is a lot of social media activity around a 'progressive alliance' with a website suggesting who you should vote for in each constituency to get the Tories out. As far as the poll trends are concerned, a lot may depend on the wording of questions asked by the pollsters. If asked which party I support, I would normally answer 'Labour'. If directly asked who I will vote for on June 8, I would answer 'Green' (tactical vote in Brighton Pavilion). Either way, as several notable psephologists have already commented in the media, the polls have never moved this much before during an election campaign, so at least it makes the last week or so more interesting than it might have been.

Yes progressive alliance have been door knocking on my patch in Oxford today, swing seat, Tories not looking good

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

But what makes you think the "Momentum rabble" themselves are in favour of freedom of movement? I might be wrong, but retaining freedom of movement post-Brexit has not, as far as I know, been mentioned at any point in Momentum policy statements, and without freedom of movement as I keep saying, there's no entry to the single market.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Never had a full time job, claims not to be a career politician yet has been in public office for 35 years, sympathetic to terrorists groups, would abolish the monarchy,
give away the Falklands and Gibraltar, forgot he is still deputy of the CND, failed his A levels.............. i think selling his own grandmother is the least of our worries.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
sounds like the Torys in 2010 and 2015 !

The Labour party are promising everything (free school meals, free childcare, not to drop the pension triple lock, to provide free Uni education, to cancel student debt, 10,000 extra police, to pump more money into the NHS and education, to nationalise the railways and energy utilities and etc etc) all from the top 5% of taxpayers and an increase in corporation tax. The Labour Party will promise ANYTHING to get a vote.

It is not possible, again, it is not possible. But you go ahead and have your heart, and your wallet, broken. But never mind, someone else will pick up the pieces won't they. That is the Labour way.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Never had a full time job, claims not to be a career politician yet has been in public office for 35 years, sympathetic to terrorists groups, would abolish the monarchy,
give away the Falklands and Gibralter, forgot he is still deputy of the CND, failed his A levels.............. i think selling his own grandmother is the least of our worries.

For someone so proud of this country you don't lend yourself any favours in not getting the name of it correct, or maybe you failed your A level English, in which case I apologise.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The Labour party are promising everything (free school meals, free childcare, not to drop the pension triple lock, to provide free Uni education, to cancel student debt, 10,000 extra police, to pump more money into the NHS and education, to nationalise the railways and energy utilities and etc etc) all from the top 5% of taxpayers and an increase in corporation tax. The Labour Party will promise ANYTHING to get a vote.

It is not possible, again, it is not possible. But you go ahead and have your heart, and your wallet, broken. But never mind, someone else will pick up the pieces won't they. That is the Labour way.

Unfortunately, and i do mean that,it is the Labour way. I think of them as a young kid in a sweet shop running up a bill for mummy.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Unfortunately, and i do mean that,it is the Labour way. I think of them as a young kid in a sweet shop running up a bill for mummy.

As opposed to the Tories taking all the sweeties off the shelf, and for any that are left on the shelf doubling the price and reducing the size.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
For someone so proud of this country you don't lend yourself any favours in not getting the name of it correct, or maybe you failed your A level English, in which case I apologise.

You got me, put a big smile on your face eh. Must try harder, thank god i am not leader of an opposition party eh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here