Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mourinho - SACKED

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
5live made brilliant listening just now. They are all wetting their pants over the appointment of OGS, who was an absolute shambles of a manager at Cardiff. The level of delusion is a wonder to behold.

I'm buying shares in Pringles, this shitstorm is going to be hilarious.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They surely need a man who knows how to put a palace fan in their place.

Do you mean someone renowned as a maverick yet had Man Utd running through him like a stick of rock ? Someone who has no idea of management of a club let alone a business the size of United ? YES YES YES ! lets see them go further down the pan !

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Do you mean someone renowned as a maverick yet had Man Utd running through him like a stick of rock ? Someone who has no idea of management of a club let alone a business the size of United ? YES YES YES ! lets see them go further down the pan !

It's a no brainer. :lolol:

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
None of that seems remotely likely.

Inter are having their best season in a while, under Spaletti, who seems well liked. They are third in Serie A - comfortable in the CL places, and essentially, above Milan. And safely into the knockout stages of the Europa League.

So on one hand, Mourinho to Inter, any time soon, is (currently) looking out of the question, and furthermore, if he DID take another job 'in January or the summer' then the terms of his settlement from United will almost certainly rule out him getting all of that quoted £18m.

But apart from all that, you agree with BG :D

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Jose will take over at Inter Milan either in January or the summer so who are the losers Mourinho or United and the £18m cost to sack him?

None of that seems remotely likely.

Inter are having their best season in a while, under Spaletti, who seems well liked. They are third in Serie A - comfortable in the CL places, and essentially, above Milan. And safely into the knockout stages of the Europa League.

So on one hand, Mourinho to Inter, any time soon, is (currently) looking out of the question, and furthermore, if he DID take another job 'in January or the summer' then the terms of his settlement from United will almost certainly rule out him getting all of that quoted £18m.

But apart from all that, you agree with BG :D

In fairness to BG, the Guardian's Italian football expert Paolo Bandini seems more positive about the Inter / Mourinho idea (I concede he's hardly saying it's nailed-on)

The most obvious landing spot for Mourinho in Italy would be with Inter: the team he led to the treble in 2010. Luciano Spalletti signed a new contract with the club at the start of this season but his failure to make it through to the Champions League knockout stage or mount a credible title challenge could provide a pretext for change

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I personally think it makes complete sense. We all know what an impact the support has on a team. Those players have been greeted with negativity from the first kick of the game recently, all because of their sad manager. In this situation I genuinely think a 'cheerleader' manager is EXACTLY what is required on caretaker role.

The ovation he will get in the first home game will be huge.

The team is full of talent, let's not forget that. To me it's very simple. 4-4-2, make the fans feel like they are watching the old united and get some nostalgia going.

Get the team set up, balanced and simplified. Get a right footer on the right, a left footer on the left none of this cutting in nonsense. Beat your man, get to the byline and cross it. Bodies in the box and there you go.

Well, it worked for me on Fifa.....

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
With Poch seemingly being the only target for United, surely Spurs must be looking at their own succession planning?

Would Chris Hughton be a target? And if so, who would we be lining up just in case?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
With Poch seemingly being the only target for United, surely Spurs must be looking at their own succession planning?

Would Chris Hughton be a target? And if so, who would we be lining up just in case?

CH’s style of play would be as bad a fit for Spurs as Mourinho’s was for United. Both clubs have a history of predominantly attacking football, managers who rely on defence first need not apply.

Not a chance CH would be poached by them imo.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
CH’s style of play would be as bad a fit for Spurs as Mourinho’s was for United. Both clubs have a history of predominantly attacking football, managers who rely on defence first need not apply.

Not a chance CH would be poached by them imo.

I think you are probably correct, but I also think Chris's defensive strategy is more out of necessity due to our inferiority to many of our current opponents.

When armed with a superior team, he does let off the handbrake. In the Championship we put 4 or 5 goals past a number of teams.

As we become more established in the Premier League, I expect us to become more offensive.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Was stated here the Jose got a 24 million pound pay off, so why would he need another job, I certainly wouldn’t.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think you are probably correct, but I also think Chris's defensive strategy is more out of necessity due to our inferiority to many of our current opponents.

When armed with a superior team, he does let off the handbrake. In the Championship we put 4 or 5 goals past a number of teams.

As we become more established in the Premier League, I expect us to become more offensive.

True, we had some great goal scoring games in the Championship but we also had plenty of games against decent teams when we were happy to sit on a 1-0 lead and close up shop. I have not shaken off plenty of memories of nail biting last 15 mins when we let the other team come at us. Spurs and United style is more adventurous than that which is why I was convinced that Mourinho was completely the wrong fit for United from the day he was appointed. Yes, he won some cups and finished second last year But there was always an undercurrent of dissatisfaction from many United fans in the way he had them playing, even when winning

I am very happy with CH as we try and cement ourselves in this division but I have doubts he would be the man to make us a naturally attacking side regardless of how long he is here. It’s just not his style or Spurs style.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I find the appointment of OGS bizarre. The vibe is that Zidane will take over in the summer, in which case wholesale changes are likely to take place with Dembele of Barcelona already heavily linked. How is OGS going to motivate this mediocre squad bereft of confidence after more than 2 years of Mourinho's grey cloud when they're all going to get sold with the exception of 6 or 7?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I find the appointment of OGS bizarre. The vibe is that Zidane will take over in the summer, in which case wholesale changes are likely to take place with Dembele of Barcelona already heavily linked. How is OGS going to motivate this mediocre squad bereft of confidence after more than 2 years of Mourinho's grey cloud when they're all going to get sold with the exception of 6 or 7?

There's no way that many players will be sold. If they want to stay they'll have to out in the performances between now and the end of the season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's no way that many players will be sold. If they want to stay they'll have to out in the performances between now and the end of the season.

Other than De Gea it's difficult to see how any of the other 10 players would get into the starting line-up of City, Liverpool, Spurs or Chelsea, and given Champions League football for United is the bare minimum I can't see how this gets achieved without a big purge.

I'd keep De Gea, Rashford, Lingard, Mata, Matic and Martial. Pogba, Lukaku and Sanchez are toxic, the rest are fodder.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Other than De Gea it's difficult to see how any of the other 10 players would get into the starting line-up of City, Liverpool, Spurs or Chelsea, and given Champions League football for United is the bare minimum I can't see how this gets achieved without a big purge.

I'd keep De Gea, Rashford, Lingard, Mata, Matic and Martial. Pogba, Lukaku and Sanchez are toxic, the rest are fodder.
I'd offload everyone Jose's singed, press the reset button and pretend like he never happened.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here