Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leicester chairman helicopter crashes in car park

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
New video has emerged filming the takeoff from inside the ground (appears to have been taken by a steward). Something went catastrophically wrong very very quickly and appears pilot had no chance.

Just seen it myself on a friend's FB status. Pilot didn't have a hope. And neither did the passengers.

I've always said I will never go in a helicopter. If a plane engine fails you are in a glider. The engine or gearbox fails in a helicopter then you may as well be in a rock.

RIP.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Are you referring to me?

I would need to chase back the quotes. You can do that shirley? Don't recall having any issues with you. Get back to me if I'm wrong. :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I last looked at this thread at the weekend, when all comments were respectful.

Surprised to see that since then, bitchy and mischievious comments have been made about all sorts of stuff. I always thought NSC was in the main a classy forum, compared to many others around.

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010
Just seen it myself on a friend's FB status. Pilot didn't have a hope. And neither did the passengers.

I've always said I will never go in a helicopter. If a plane engine fails you are in a glider. The engine or gearbox fails in a helicopter then you may as well be in a rock.

RIP.
Not true I'm afraid. I fly helicopters for a living (military) and things go wrong in fixed wing aircraft that can be catastrophic too, look at the latest Indonesian 737 for example, not that the inquiry results are in yet. If all engines fail in a helicopter (and most good commercial helicopters/ military have 2 anyway) then you can autorotate (similar to gliding in a plane, though a higher rate of descent, where the air as you descend powers the rotors much like an windmill) to a landing at the bottom where you convert the energy in the rotors into reducing your rate of descent. If one engine fails you will generally be able to carry on flying and having a double engine failure is extremely rare (less running out of fuel). Some gearbox failures are catastrophic for sure but then so can many failures on planes be too. Other gearbox failures are very manageable.

I won't comment on my suspicions as to what happened in this case as that is the job of the AAIB but I will say that it looked like it happened at literally the worst moment in the whole departure for him and there was almost nothing he could have done to recover that situation. RIP

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Not true I'm afraid. I fly helicopters for a living (military) and things go wrong in fixed wing aircraft that can be catastrophic too, look at the latest Indonesian 737 for example, not that the inquiry results are in yet. If all engines fail in a helicopter (and most good commercial helicopters/ military have 2 anyway) then you can autorotate (similar to gliding in a plane, though a higher rate of descent, where the air as you descend powers the rotors much like an windmill) to a landing at the bottom where you convert the energy in the rotors into reducing your rate of descent. If one engine fails you will generally be able to carry on flying and having a double engine failure is extremely rare (less running out of fuel). Some gearbox failures are catastrophic for sure but then so can many failures on planes be too. Other gearbox failures are very manageable.

I won't comment on my suspicions as to what happened in this case as that is the job of the AAIB but I will say that it looked like it happened at literally the worst moment in the whole departure for him and there was almost nothing he could have done to recover that situation. RIP

Pleased to be corrected from someone in the know. :cheers:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Not referring to this crash at all, if a helicopter's mechanism for opposed torque completely fails mid air, will the results always be catestrophic?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've sat on this churlish point for a few days, but as this thread is moving away from the original emotion I'm going to mention Monday's Guardian Football Weekly podcast.

Their reporter on the ground gave a fitting 5 minute eulogy about Vichai, all very apt.

Discussing what he did for not only the club but the community at large.
Someone wrote in saying Vichai created the template on how to run a club.

Then Lars Sivertsen ends the piece by saying the 'the old model of local businessman done good bankrolling a club can't happen anymore because the sums are to big, which is why we have conglomerates running clubs and that's just the way it has to be'.

As I say all very churlish, but come on, you can't then go from that to then singing the praises for all things Albion, fortress AMEX, Hughton, and a well run club.

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010
Not referring to this crash at all, if a helicopter's mechanism for opposed torque completely fails mid air, will the results always be catestrophic?
Not always. If the helicopter has some forward speed the tail fin (stabiliser) provides some directional stability (think weathercock). The aircraft can then land with a high forward speed or shut down the engines removing the torque. If it happens at low speed then diving to get some speed on or immediately shutting engines down reduced the yaw. All of this gets practiced in a simulator.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Drove past the KP tonight on the way to the gym and was stunned by the scale of the flowers/shirts/scarfs down there. It stretches from the club shop all away round to the away end corner for those who know the KP. There were still well over 100 people down there at 8pm tonight. Must say I was quite moved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here