Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are any of you guys regular winter commuters?

What are you wearing? Because I froze my tits off this morning and then sweated like a boil in the bag vegetable.

Currently wearing a normal t-shirt, old Albion hoodie and an Altura soft shell waterproof and windproof jacket.

Started off freezing and then got too hot. Wearing so many layers was also quite uncomfortable under the back pack.

What should I be wearing? Will just a merino wool base layer be enough or is there anything else out there I should consider?

I'm also wearing jeans which are also not only uncomfortable but also freezing on the inner thigh and knackers!

Should I go for a pair of Endura Hummvee trousers or similar with a liner short? Luckily I have enough space in the bag for a change of clothes once I get to work.

Any advice on particular products? I don't want to go full cyclist look as I'll look like a proper eejit on a mountain bike.

I'm just back from a rummage around Aldi's cycling stuff.

I did notice cycling specific 'Long Johns' for £16.
It's not a recommendation, as such, but if you're going to keep wearing jeans you absolutely need something like this, underneath.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm just back from a rummage around Aldi's cycling stuff.

I did notice cycling specific 'Long Johns' for £16.
It's not a recommendation, as such, but if you're going to keep wearing jeans you absolutely need something like this, underneath.

I am currently experimenting with different clothing I own. I found an old cotton/polyester jumper in the back of the cupboard that is quite thin and wore that underneath the soft shell this morning.

Worked well and not too sweaty this morning then changed into my t shirt for work so think I just need a base layer under the jacket to be ok. I'm looking at merino wool ones atm so just need to pick one so if anyone has a recommendation .......

Going to have to suffer with jeans for the moment too as they're the thickest trousers I own and a lot warmer than fleece tracksuit bottoms!

On payday I'm going to invest in some proper MTB trousers that have a removable liner short. Not cheap though and currently looking for the best deal.......

Saw some Boardman ones in Halfords the other day that have a short inside and also has zipped legs so they can be turned into shorts in the summer for £50 that look respectable.

Is the Boardman stuff any good??

otherwise I'm looking at a £90 spend on Endura Hummvee trousers....

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
And those Red Bull Rampage guys are NUTS. Love to do it but I'd die within 30ft.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I am currently experimenting with different clothing I own. I found an old cotton/polyester jumper in the back of the cupboard that is quite thin and wore that underneath the soft shell this morning.

Worked well and not too sweaty this morning then changed into my t shirt for work so think I just need a base layer under the jacket to be ok. I'm looking at merino wool ones atm so just need to pick one so if anyone has a recommendation .......

Going to have to suffer with jeans for the moment too as they're the thickest trousers I own and a lot warmer than fleece tracksuit bottoms!

On payday I'm going to invest in some proper MTB trousers that have a removable liner short. Not cheap though and currently looking for the best deal.......

Saw some Boardman ones in Halfords the other day that have a short inside and also has zipped legs so they can be turned into shorts in the summer for £50 that look respectable.

Is the Boardman stuff any good??

otherwise I'm looking at a £90 spend on Endura Hummvee trousers....

The Boardman ones are greatt. Get them on eBay though, Halfords are selling them for £35 on there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Boardman ones are greatt. Get them on eBay though, Halfords are selling them for £35 on there.

Although you will look like someone who knows nothing about cycling and has just walked into Halfords with an 'I'm gullible' sign round their neck. :lol: :kiss: #CyclingSnob.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
The road bike has gone away...the MTB has come out to play! Great, but slow, ride to work this morning along the trails...was a bit soggy, slippery and muddy!
Not great though when work still doesn't provide any proper facilities for changing, or drying clothes... :nono:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The road bike has gone away...the MTB has come out to play! Great, but slow, ride to work this morning along the trails...was a bit soggy, slippery and muddy!
Not great though when work still doesn't provide any proper facilities for changing, or drying clothes... :nono:

BBC weather seems to be suggesting I might be able to squeeze 1, possibly even 2, more weeks out of my summer bike, before the Cube comes off the bench for something other than 'kids rides'.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003

Yes, always good to arrive at work "completely plastered!".

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Yes, always good to arrive at work "completely plastered!".

I should know better really, but didn't think it would've got that bad, so quickly, after riding the same way a day ago when it was still rock hard. I knew it would be a bit dirty...just not that much!
Must remember to look at the weather forecast too... doh.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
As if doing free-riding in the Utah mountains at Rampage wasn't difficult enough, this crazy kid has taken his MTB to the snow..and the air!

[video]https://www.redbull.com/int-en/tv/video/AP-1VFGYVSK51W11/teaser-fabiolous-escape-2?playlist=AP-1VFU8X3VW1W11:extras[/video]

Right, thats enough off road action on here, or Stats head might explode....:D

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

Don't suppose you have a link do you? Just looked and can't see them for that price???

Although you will look like someone who knows nothing about cycling and has just walked into Halfords with an 'I'm gullible' sign round their neck. :lol: :kiss: #CyclingSnob.
Have I missed something? I've looked in quite a few bike shops lately and all their clothing lines are basic at best and never anything in my size. Then go on sites like tredz or Chain Reaction and there's lots of choice but no way of trying anything on.

At least Halfords had a better selection than most.

Neither does mine really although we do have a break room. Luckily once I'm clothed up I can carry everything I need + spare clothes if needed. Still waiting for my hoodies hood to dry out today.

I should know better really, but didn't think it would've got that bad, so quickly, after riding the same way a day ago when it was still rock hard. I knew it would be a bit dirty...just not that much!
Must remember to look at the weather forecast too... doh.

I was surprised this morning too. I usually try to ride around the old dry puddles with horse hoof prints in them as they're a pain in the backside. Literally.

Still hard today but beginning to go squishy at the edges.

Loving bombing along the trails in the pitch black and no street lighting, just the helmet and front light to see.

Through my wooded section I'm bumping into loads of wildlife too, plenty of rabbits, couple of foxes, a badger and even a couple of owls in the last few weeks.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Don't suppose you have a link do you? Just looked and can't see them for that price???

Hi spongy. I'm sorry, but it appears that that deal ended this week - I got a pair last weekend, but you are right - the offer isn't there anymore.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But talking of offers both road.cc and bikeradar.co.uk keep a comprehensive guide guide to 'black Friday' deals, so they are worth a look.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Govember or Rovember or, in fact any other Embers...

The idea is to have a bike ride each day for 5 miles or more. It was a friend's idea, but I fancy seeing how a little and often affects me. Will I get run down and get a cold? Will I not notice a 5 mile a day ride during what would normally be a rest day? Will I forget all about it for a couple of days and then think "Whoops!". Anyway, today it seems to be a good idea as the sun is shining and I've just had a little bicycle ride.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Govember or Rovember or, in fact any other Embers...

The idea is to have a bike ride each day for 5 miles or more. It was a friend's idea, but I fancy seeing how a little and often affects me. Will I get run down and get a cold? Will I not notice a 5 mile a day ride during what would normally be a rest day? Will I forget all about it for a couple of days and then think "Whoops!". Anyway, today it seems to be a good idea as the sun is shining and I've just had a little bicycle ride.

It's a good idea for November, I certainly need reminding riding in shitty weather isn't so bad, and in fact can be somewhat rewarding.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good morning [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] :wave:

[tweet]1059616151951605762[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here