Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Stockholm - Just how expensive is it?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I last visited Stockholm many years ago (1989) to watch England play Sweden (the game with Terry Butcher's blood-soaked headband) and we're planning a short break there soon.

I know it will be expensive (although the Hotel prices are pretty reasonable) but what should I expect to pay for a beer / meal in a mid-range restaurant?

Many thanks

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went last year and am going again in June. I can’t remember exactly but craft beer and food is noticeably higher on a like-for-like basis and some places only took cards.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Beer in a mid-range restaurant 75 SEK for 40cl; main course 200-300 SEK.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Beer in a mid-range restaurant 75 SEK for 40cl; main course 200-300 SEK.

crikey nearly as expensive as Brighton....

More seriously ... I am going on a tour of Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm in August so probably will use the opportunity to lose weight and have a dry(relatively) fortnight.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I last visited Stockholm many years ago (1989) to watch England play Sweden (the game with Terry Butcher's blood-soaked headband) and we're planning a short break there soon.

I know it will be expensive (although the Hotel prices are pretty reasonable) but what should I expect to pay for a beer / meal in a mid-range restaurant?

Many thanks

Was there last summer. You can pay loads more of course, but a beer needn’t be more than about £6 a pint, and you can get a big pizza in a restaurant for £10-£12.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And cans of craft beer are about £1.20 in the state off-licences. (We we’re on holiday with teenagers too young for late bars, so stretched the evenings by stocking up the hotel room fridge).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We had a lovely holiday there last summer. An amazing city.

Very expensive. But I was paying for the 4 of us including 2 kids.

To give an idea of the cost: waiter-served pizza restaurant meals for the 4 of us, no desserts, 4 soft drinks, 2 pints of lager and 1 glass of wine - the cost including a tip was always around the £100 mark.

Boat trips for the 4 of us were also pricey.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've only been once - 30 years ago. I remember a pizza for two with a bottle of house wine came to £50 (more than twice what you'd pay in London at the time). It's a lovely city but at those sort of prices I wasn't in a hurry to go back.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
It’s expensive but as mentioned above use the government off licence to pick up beer / wine at UK supermarket prices. Really nice city though. If flying take the express train from the airport into the city. You can download the Arlanda Express app to buy tickets before you travel to save time at airport.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We had a lovely holiday there last summer. An amazing city.

Very expensive. But I was paying for the 4 of us including 2 kids.

To give an idea of the cost: waiter-served pizza restaurant meals for the 4 of us, no desserts, 4 soft drinks, 2 pints of lager and 1 glass of wine - the cost including a tip was always around the £100 mark.

Boat trips for the 4 of us were also pricey.

To be fair, that's not far different to what you'd pay in Pizza Express.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'm in Stockholm twice a month for work (live in Gothenburg). The city is beautiful, the people friendly (especially to Brits) and the bars/restaurants are plentiful and VERY good.

You will end up spending a fortune if you want to go out for dinner and drinks every night. Systembolaget is the only place you can buy alcohol over 3.5%, they're closed on Sundays (3pm on Saturdays), the beer isn't cold and you can't drink on the street.

Don't drink wine/spirits in bars and you'll be fine. Ask for a 'stor stark' (big strong) which basically means "the cheapest pint of lager you have".

If you want any tips on places to eat/drink, let me know.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Plenty of places you can get 29 crown beer, which is cheaper than you can get in the UK (although the standard is smaller than a pint). I live here so if you need any tips just let me know.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Don't have wine with a meal out and it isn't any more expensive than most decent places in Brighton. Wine in restaurants was about £40 a bottle and that was for cheap stuff. In the bars I went to I was paying about £6 a pint for Swedish beer which is nearly the same as Brighton pubs!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Stockholm airport prices are something else. £11 for a sub roll and crisps. £7 for a basic sandwich.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here