Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Villa the Largest League Away Support at the Amex?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's awful isn't it.

Just think, for only £6 more you could watch a great club like Leeds.

I hear the seats there are very comfortable, there are no pillars to obstruct your view and as it's out of town, they also provide complimentary bus, train or park and ride facilities. As they are challenging at the right end of the table too, I think this is much better value. Also consider that the demand from the home fans at Leeds will be so high, they will need to charge a higher price, as there might not be enough space for home fans......

Tit

Can't speak for [MENTION=34253]Whoislloydy[/MENTION] but I too am of the opinion that £34 is a bit steep.

Not because of the points you so adroitly made, because let's face it our position in the table is a variable and we're blessed with great views because our stadium is newer, but more down to the myriad other costs associated with away games.

Villa, for example, is an evening kick off, on the television, on a Friday.

For many that means a day off work and for some of those that could very well mean the loss of a days wage.

A quick browse of train prices on the Trainline say that travel down on the Friday and back on the Saturday ranges from £13.50 - £33.50 each way so let's take the average and say £23.50 each way; £47 total to travel down.

If they're staying on the Friday that means accommodation, the cost of a room at the Travellodge on the 18th November is £95 for one person in a double room. The Premier Inn is fully booked for that night so it's either that £95 Travellodge room or a B&B. Cheapest I could find was £59, so let's say they choose there, y'know to keep the cost down.

That's travel and accommodation sorted for £106.

A day at the football will likely involve beer and food. Because this is Brighton and not Birmingham let's say that an average pint costs around £4.30 and I'd say food in most places will run closer to a tenner than a fiver. Two pints an hour, if they arrive at 3pm, until kick-off is roughly 8 pints at £4.30, plus the food, and you're down another £44.40p taking the total to £150.40p. Then you have the match ticket at £34.

So, using some admittedly roughshod arithmetic and hypothetical situations based on my experiences of travelling for weekday evening games, we have a grand total of £184.40p for 90-odd minutes of football that Villa fans could choose to watch in their local.

That's obscene in my eyes but it's the price we will happily pay to go and support our team. It would be chuffing wonderful though, with the amount of money sloshing around in football these days, if some of that cost were reduced. Of course we're not in the financial position to be able to offset any of the cost of away travel; few clubs are in this division. But wouldn't great to see the adoption of the Twenty's Plenty scheme across the Premier League? Maybe it would give rise to other cost saving initiatives designed to help us, the average fan, enjoy the game we love.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
It's awful isn't it.

Just think, for only £6 more you could watch a great club like Leeds.

I hear the seats there are very comfortable, there are no pillars to obstruct your view and as it's out of town, they also provide complimentary bus, train or park and ride facilities. As they are challenging at the right end of the table too, I think this is much better value. Also consider that the demand from the home fans at Leeds will be so high, they will need to charge a higher price, as there might not be enough space for home fans......

Tit

Was there any need to call him a tit? In the grand scheme of things, 34 quid to watch 22 men kick a ball around for an hour and a half is an awful lot. You can go and see a movie for 7/8 quid to give it a bit of perspective.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Was there any need to call him a tit? In the grand scheme of things, 34 quid to watch 22 men kick a ball around for an hour and a half is an awful lot. You can go and see a movie for 7/8 quid to give it a bit of perspective.

Where do you watch films?! I paid £12 to watch The girl on the train tonight and get insomnia thrown into the bargain.

To get that price it's a Tuesday matinee surely?

I'd love to see an away ticket cap and personally feel £25 would be OK when you consider its a tenner to watch Lewes....

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Largest (League) away followings:

Norwich City 3/4/15 - 3,214
Watford 25/4/15 - 3,199
Fulham 29/11/14 - 3,003
Brentford 17/1/14 - 2,787
Sheffield Wednesday 9/8/14 - 2,667
Crystal Palace 17/3/13 - 2,661

There have been two away followings higher than Norwich, both Arsenal, both in the FA Cup (4,449 in 14/15 and 3,880 in 12/13)

The most amazing statistic there Watford . I had no idea they had that many fans.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Villa got about 18% of capacity at Reading on Tuesday, taking just over 4,300 fans. As the crowd was still 2,500 short of capacity it clearly wasn't a problem. Although Reading is a much easier journey from Birmingham, it was midweek. Our game is scheduled for a Saturday and I would suggest that they could easily bring that number or more to us, given the availability of tickets.
The game has been moved to the Friday night, 18th Nov, 7.45pm.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
LOOKING FORWARD TO THE BED WETTING ON HERE AFTER THE GAME
regards
DR

ever get the feeling you're getting mugged off :rolleyes:
regards
DR

So the choice is - Getting Mugged off - enjoying a day out with mates and beer at a full Amex whatching the most exciting Albion team in years at the top of the championship

or - Being Smart - sitting at home in Newhaven, on my own, hoping the team that I purport to support loose so that i can spend all my time on my computer enjoying the bedwetting

I think you'll have to leave that one with me :facepalm:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I imagine we've given them a large allocation so that on the last day of the season, when we go up there to celebrate promotion, they reciprocate.
Exactly this.

Plus Villa are a big club and this is a new ground for them - selling out those extra 500 tickets is guaranteed. Personally I don't mind a bit as it will probably guarantee a sellout 30,000 crowd which could amazingly be something we see three or four times this season (Villa, Newcastle, possibly Norwich, possibly one or two others).

Come to think of it, this season probably should break our all time record for average attendance again.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
£34 for a ticket with our facilities and travel included is not disgusting. If you continue to think it is, I will continue to think you are a tit.

Christ.

It's staggering people think £34 for a ticket for a second level football match is acceptable.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Where do you watch films?! I paid £12 to watch The girl on the train tonight and get insomnia thrown into the bargain.

To get that price it's a Tuesday matinee surely?

I'd love to see an away ticket cap and personally feel £25 would be OK when you consider its a tenner to watch Lewes....

Cineworld Brighton is £7.50(ish?) for me, but then I'm a PhD student :)

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Obviously bever been to Portman Road

That doesn't justify it. It just shows that there are grounds who are even more overpriced than ours.

£34 for second level football is a joke, however you look at it. Even more so given the fact that price is for a seat behind the goal, typically the cheapest available.

I cannot believe people actually think £34 is reasonable.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
That doesn't justify it. It just shows that there are grounds who are even more overpriced than ours.

£34 for second level football is a joke, however you look at it. Even more so given the fact that price is for a seat behind the goal, typically the cheapest available.

I cannot believe people actually think £34 is reasonable.

Not sure 'reasonable' is the correct phrase. It is what it is and we take it or leave it. Choice.

On a side note though, I DO find the football itself more entertaining in the Championship than in the PL overall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here