Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Democracy, dictatorship style.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I voted leave but immigration was never a factor in my decision making process, I happen to think neither staying or leaving will have much impact either way on immigration, but apparently like the other 17.4 million leave voters I'm still a bigoted racist. I spent last week in Germany on holiday, the hotel was staffed entirely by Romanians, made a cracking drinking friend with a second generation Turkish german, had a whale of a time in a polish owned restaurant and another owned by a smashing gay Italian guy, remarkably we all managed not to insult or kill each other! My leave vote was anti EU not anti Europe something many remainers have a hard time understanding it seems.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
attachment.php

I thought this was interesting and supports the OP's argument.

Yawn!
A vote is a vote.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I think it has already become clear that referendum pledges were meaningless.
The people making them, have not formed a government and therefore have no ability to act on them.
There is no £350 million a week to give to the NHS and Hannan has already said that free movement of labour is likely to stay the same.

The end game for these Tories was exiting Europe.
The immigration pledge was the means to achieving this.

Political suicide or not, The end game has been achieved. There is no need for them to honour their promises.

Patience, some of the people making them will be leading the next government so will be in a position to act on them.

If you are right (which I doubt) then they will reap the consequences at the next General election and probably sooner as other Brexit supporting Tory MP's rebel. If we know one thing about politicians it's that self interest is high on their agenda. Reneging on stopping free movement = losing power the very thing they have striven to achieve.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think it has already become clear that referendum pledges were meaningless.
The people making them, have not formed a government and therefore have no ability to act on them.
There is no £350 million a week to give to the NHS and Hannan has already said that free movement of labour is likely to stay the same.

The end game for these Tories was exiting Europe.
The immigration pledge was the means to achieving this.

Political suicide or not, The end game has been achieved. There is no need for them to honour their promises.
Agree with every word of this.

We have an answer to whether or not we remain in the EU.

The referendum gives no mandate for anything else.

Everything else is detail for the politicians in power now and in the future.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
:wrong:

Facts are obviously not your strong point.

(Listen from 5:15 onwards.)

I'm not sure if you are deliberately misinterpreting what Churchill said. He did not in any way suggest that Britain should take part in such an endeavour. He spoke about the league of nations and then said that we, the British, had our own organisation, the commonwealth, which underpinned and supported the league. He continued about European countries also having such an organisation. To suggest he included us is just wishful and fanciful.

D

Deleted member 2719

In terms of the future, it is a risk. I think it's a massive risk but, even without knowing the future, it is a risk. In all honesty, whatever your decision was based on, I think a lot of people decided based on xenophobia and the lies of leave (e.g. the £350 million a week which ignores all rebate we get and that this money would go on the NHS). The media was also biased against the EU on the whole so there was never a fair debate.

As for sticking around, I won't be leaving this country and I genuinely hope we don't come to regret it. However, I can't see that happening and I'm really angry (partly at the remain campaign for such a negative campaign, partly to the leave campaign for this lies they told and finally at the British public who I genuinely believe allowed themselves to be conned by the lies and anti EU sentiment).

As for the last two sentences, it demeans any of the rest of your posts. As you say earlier, we have very different perspectives (and not just this as we do on the Albion historically too judging by your posts on here) so we're never going to agree on this.

On summary, I AGREE we will never agree.

Thank God we are not sitting in a EU cabinet together as we would get nowhere, oh hang on a minutes that where we have been going................... NOWHERE .

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Agree with every word of this.

We have an answer to whether or not we remain in the EU.

The referendum gives no mandate for anything else.

Everything else is detail for the politicians in power now and in the future.
It was argued many times by myself and others on NSC that these promises could not be honoured as the leave campaign was not a political party. I hate the way the referendum was fought by both sides but I'm surprised that people have been naive enough to believe those claims.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Patience, some of the people making them will be leading the next government so will be in a position to act on them.

If you are right (which I doubt) then they will reap the consequences at the next General election and probably sooner as other Brexit supporting Tory MP's rebel. If we know one thing about politicians it's that self interest is high on their agenda. Reneging on stopping free movement = losing power the very thing they have striven to achieve.

The Tories who have engineered this referendum have won.
They have always cared more about Europe than being in power.

Immigration is the smoke screen they have used to convince the electorate to vote out.
Nothing will change.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Good one.

"Dear remain voter

I'm sorry you did not get your own way in the EU referendum, don't blame the people who voted to leave!

Blame the 28% of eligible voters who did not bother to turn up

Blame the 232 people who left their ballot paper blank

Blame the 9,084 people who crossed both boxes in protest

Blame the 836 people who added their names to the ballot paper

Blame the 15,207 who voided their vote for other reasons

Leave voters are not selfish, racist, xenophobic, bigoted or stupid.

They voted for our children & grandchildren, they voted for our democracy, they voted for our sovereignty, they voted for our fishermen, they voted for our farmers, they voted for our steel industry, they voted for our NHS, they voted for our schools, they voted for our laws, they voted for our borders, they voted for our economy, they voted for our rights, they voted for our freedom of speech & they voted for a Greater Britain.

They didn't vote for YOU!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The Tories who have engineered this referendum have won.
They have always cared more about Europe than being in power.

Immigration is the smoke screen they have used to convince the electorate to vote out.
Nothing will change.

We will find out in a few months time.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Tickles me that all the luvvies and tree huggers repeat time and time that people must register and use their vote.

But when people do, and the vote goes the wrong way for them they do nothing but bellyache.

TB

Collingburnian

May 13, 2016
Shoreham by Sea
How marked the difference between the "Remainers" and the "Exiters". The former are jumping up and down in temper, deriding all those who voted differently as idiots, morons, mentally deranged, etc. Contrast this with the "Exiters". None of them are crowing, thumbing their noses or bad mouthing the "Remainers. Just accept that you lost and get on with your lives. The result won't change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here