Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Closed pubs of Sussex

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The Dun Horse in Mannings Heath has been closed up for two or three years now. Looking very sorry for itself, I don't know what will become of it. The good villagers of Mannings Heath have an awful long way to go for a pint, unless they are members of the golf club.

Rock Lobster

Dec 2, 2010
Hastings
It may well be but that’s not the same pub as the White Hart at Cripps Corner which, as I said, has shut down.

https://www.eigpropertyauctions.co.uk/files/5/25618/5b1d6a05-7cf8-4a6f-9d7f-8dc1a7f6bd0c.pdf

Drove past the White Hart not long ago, has definitely shut down.
The one in Netherfield is still going, appears to be a lot more trendy than I remember, definitely not on the A21.
The only one on the A21 in this part of the county I can think of is the John's Cross Inn, which closed a few years back.
Going up the road into Robertsbridge, the Seven Stars has also been closed for a couple of years now, with most locals I know of choosing to visit the Working Men's Club or the Salehurst Halt.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Always thougfht that came under Wivelsfield but none the less houses have shot up on there very quickly but I must admit I wouldnt want one on that bend, unless they are going to take it out a litltle

Agree....more Wivelsfield Green than the common.....shut ages ago didn’t it ? Must be c10 years. Wasn’t a bad place on a nice day, big garden for the kids to run about, and within reasonable walking distance for us through the woods. Awful road crossing from the car park on that bend though. Pretty sure at one point it was run by the same people that were running the Jack and Jill at Clayton.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The rainbow Inn on the Chailey Road

Used to be the best pub for food and drink many years ago.

I do believe is re-opened / about to be
Drove past it yesterday and there's a big 'For Sale' sign in the front. Not sure whether it's still actually open or not as I didn't stop.

I do think people are struggling to make a go of that place, sadly. My wife and I went there a few years ago and all they had was bottled beer as the pub had just been sold then and they were running the stock down prior to closure. On the market again :(

And Cuckfield, just down the road, have lost their pub near the station. Now houses.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Drove past it yesterday and there's a big 'For Sale' sign in the front. Not sure whether it's still actually open or not as I didn't stop.

I do think people are struggling to make a go of that place, sadly. My wife and I went there a few years ago and all they had was bottled beer as the pub had just been sold then and they were running the stock down prior to closure. On the market again :(

And Cuckfield, just down the road, have lost their pub near the station. Now houses.

Cooksbridge ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Passed there the other day, had boards up all round the site. Assuming it is going to be knocked down and houses/flats built there instead?

It's been boarded up for ages now but yes, planning permission has been given for flats. Not sure whats happening to the burial ground on the site though.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Went to the Sportsman at Amberley last night, after it didn’t work out for the previous short lived tenant, it’s restarted under a new leaseholder again, the chap who was the chef at the Riser in Nutbourne has just taken it over. Have to say, the food was spot on, sensible prices, decent portions, choice of pub grub and stuff a little more elegant. Beer range is ever changing, both local ales and from further afield, full selection of Thatchers ciders too. If I had a criticism I’d say the real ale could be presented a little better, but for sure I think the place could be back on the up, and what amazing views over the wildbrooks.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I’d heard rumours that the Curlew near Bodiam had reopened and a quick search confirmed it had, albeit now it’s a restaurant.

Their home page describes themselves as being:-

“Just an errant arrow flight from Hastings, stone skim from Bodiam Castle, mince from Brighton, manicured lawn from Tunbridge Wells, The Curlew is a place where formal food meets informal dining, where the city and country brush shoulders, style meets stile.”

Hmm.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The pub was a going concern but personal reasons have caused it to close. The landlord treated his partner the landlady to a pampering weekend away with her friend meanwhile he married his lover! Needless to say the pub, a freehold owned by them somewhat suffered. A bit of scandal to hit the sleepy hamlet

Thank you for that, such intrigue and at least there is a story to tell. Not every Pub closes because of the trend. This thread is more interesting than Eastenders.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
i see the witch as more a restaurant with a bar now i wouldnt gonthere just for drink

Fair enough. To be honest I haven't been there since Gerry Ryan ran the place.

Jimmy Grimble

Is The Branch on London road being gentrified?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here