Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Smart Heating Controls (Hive, Nest et al)

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Evening,

I have a Worcester Bosch 30CDi system boiler with dual zone heating which is currently controlled via 2 BOSS THERM BPS242 thermostats.Upstairs and downstairs FWIW

I'm wondering if the latest generation of smart thermostats might offer me better flexibility and therefore energy savings.

Does anyone have any experience of Hive, Nest etc.?

The DHW is controlled by a third unit (BOSS THERM BUT2) so I'm also pondering if the payback might be too long to consider until something needs replacing.

I don't think I have any other tech that would benefit from a smart whole house solution.

Let the discussion commence...

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I’ve fitted loads of hives.
I realise I’m a bit biased working for British Gas, but they really are a decent product.
Aside from the thermostat, you can now get connected lights and sockets, door sensors, cameras etc.
The connected home market is about to get huge.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I'm not a techie but have Hive and def recommend for heating and plugs / lights etc

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I’ve fitted loads of hives.
I realise I’m a bit biased working for British Gas, but they really are a decent product.
Aside from the thermostat, you can now get connected lights and sockets, door sensors, cameras etc.
The connected home market is about to get huge.

Thanks, would I need 2?

Should I wait (in no particular hurry) if the market is about to grow?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I like Tado myself - heard some poor reports about Drayton Wiser, which doesn't suprise me after having a Drayton Mitime programmer's screen invert, and go mirror :mad:

https://www.tado.com/gb/

NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Perfect timing. I'm putting in UFH and looking for wifi controlled heating. For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would pay a monthly fee unless it can be demonstrated that the savings made exceed the fee!!!

I need a control for my existing boiler system and what will eventually be three UFH zones. Tado looks interesting. Was looking at the Pro Warm Touch IQ system and awaiting info from them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Perfect timing. I'm putting in UFH and looking for wifi controlled heating. For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would pay a monthly fee unless it can be demonstrated that the savings made exceed the fee!!!

I need a control for my existing boiler system and what will eventually be three UFH zones. Tado looks interesting. Was looking at the Pro Warm Touch IQ system and awaiting info from them.

Are you retro-fitting to a timber suspended floor or solid? I’m thinking of doing the same lifting the existing boards, 75mm Celotex insulation, clip the ufh pipes to the insulation then a 5:1 25mm screed finished flush with the top of the joists. I was then going to risk putting the existing sw floorboards back knowing they may well move a bit.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Are you retro-fitting to a timber suspended floor or solid? I’m thinking of doing the same lifting the existing boards, 75mm Celotex insulation, clip the ufh pipes to the insulation then a 5:1 25mm screed finished flush with the top of the joists. I was then going to risk putting the existing sw floorboards back knowing they may well move a bit.

A few creaks adds to the ambience

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Solid floor. Laid the thermo boards with heating mat on top and finished with tiles.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I went for Nest, because it seems to do the same as Hive, and there’s no monthly subscription. I’ve been really pleased with it.

For security cams, I went for Arlo for the same reason - 7 days history stored for free in the cloud (plus unlimited locally if you buy a cam with a storage card slot)

NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Any idea just how far away this nano hub is? I’ve had my finger on the buy button for months now! I may hold on...
It was briefed out to our engineers last week so I’d say any time now. Sorry, can’t be more specific :)

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
We have tado. It was simple to install , it replacedthe central thermostat we had. Easy to control through the app on our phones, though you can manually adjust it on the wall unit. The drawback is that if the wifi goes it stays on the one setting which can lead to a cold house or heating an empty house.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here