Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which company to do a PPI claim?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I tried that but they told me to **** off, even though i know i had PPi cover on a car loan. So guess i will have to get someone to do it for me.
Does it apply to mortgages as well? If if the mortgage is now finished?

The mortgage would be ASU cover, not the same thing

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The mortgage would be ASU cover, not the same thing
Has that always been the case with mortgages? A mortgage is a loan, so if you're getting your payments protected, isn't it basically the same thing?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Has that always been the case with mortgages? A mortgage is a loan, so if you're getting your payments protected, isn't it basically the same thing?

No, it is accident, sickness and unemployment cover

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's the same thing:

Payment protection insurance (PPI), also known as credit insurance, credit protection insurance, or loan repayment insurance, is an insurance product that enables consumers to insure repayment of loans if the borrower dies, becomes ill or disabled, loses a job, or faces other circumstances that may prevent them from earning income to service the debt

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That's the same thing:

Payment protection insurance (PPI), also known as credit insurance, credit protection insurance, or loan repayment insurance, is an insurance product that enables consumers to insure repayment of loans if the borrower dies, becomes ill or disabled, loses a job, or faces other circumstances that may prevent them from earning income to service the debt

Not regarded as the same product. No doubt the Ambulance chasers will latch onto this product though when the PPI gravy train has ended

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I have an ongoing claim against Lloyds ..............but did think originally that it would be denied due to fact that it was from the late 80's but have been told that is now OK, WOW nearly 30 years ago Lloyds must be pretty desperate to clear their name.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I got chased repeatedly by one of these claim firms a couple of years back, as I made the mistake of answering the phone to them one time.

I told the guy I was 99% certain I'd never had any PPI, but he kept insisting I probably had. Eventually I had to start ignoring his persistent calls.

I've only had one personal loan & that was in the last five years so I know PPI wouldn't have been sold on it by that stage.

I've had mortgages with a number of different companies since about 2001, not aware of anything that was added to those loans though. And as for PPI on a bank account, I'm completely in the dark as to how that would work. Where would they take money off you for having a bank account? Does that mean those accounts people pay a monthly fee on?

Someone I know went through the Financial Ombudsman to claim, by the way, & highly recommended it. Didn't have to pay out 30% of his return to some shyster.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

I got one of them with Canada Life, did not know until i stopped paying !
Had the DD for 20 odd quid and never knew what it was for so i stopped it recently, within 3 days had a letter from Canada Life saying they had not received the month premium, as this gave me a contact number i rang them asking what it was all about, was told it was a mortgage protection so if i was off sick it would pay the mortgage, told them i'd paid off my mortgage 10 years ago, they replied you don't need this policy then, i hadn't need it for 10 years ! Asked why they had not contacted me within the last 10 year and stated no reason to as the policy had no changes.

Over 2 grand i have paid them for something i didn't need !

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Had the DD for 20 odd quid and never knew what it was for so i stopped it recently, within 3 days had a letter from Canada Life saying they had not received the month premium, as this gave me a contact number i rang them asking what it was all about, was told it was a mortgage protection so if i was off sick it would pay the mortgage, told them i'd paid off my mortgage 10 years ago, they replied you don't need this policy then, i hadn't need it for 10 years ! Asked why they had not contacted me within the last 10 year and stated no reason to as the policy had no changes.

You need to look into that, let me know if you need any help

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

I can't see why you wouldn't get it back.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
£11K back in total doing it myself.
Would've been well fed up to have lost 30% to someone for the three or four hours it took me.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007

Tell them to repay in full from the beginning as you were mis-sold the cover (ie. It wasn't discussed but added by them as being conditional for the granting of the loan). They are under a legal obligation to pay it so threaten them with the Financial Ombudsman or whatever.
I got money repaid on personal loans going back 30+ years but was refused repayment of PPI on a credit card because I had claimed on it when off sick. I appealed on the grounds that it was mis-sold in the first place and any utility I got from the policy subsequently was frankly irrelevant. Just banked a cheque for £5K from recompense in full.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Tell them to repay in full from the beginning as you were mis-sold the cover (ie. It wasn't discussed but added by them as being conditional for the granting of the loan). They are under a legal obligation to pay it so threaten them with the Financial Ombudsman or whatever.

point of order, how do you know it was mis-sold, it wasn't discussed or was a condition of the loan? they are only under legal obligation to pay those mis-sold.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
point of order, how do you know it was mis-sold, it wasn't discussed or was a condition of the loan? they are only under legal obligation to pay those mis-sold.

I wasn't asked at the time if I wanted it (to my recollection) nor was it explained or the option given to accept or decline.
The banks accept this was normal practice even to the extent of staff being trained to "imply" that loans/credit would not be extended unless PPI was taken out. That is the foundation of their having to repay (even when) their is neither proof or otherwise that it was the actual case at the time of sale.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It's a fair point, but burden of proof that it was correctly sold rests with the provider in these cases, the buyer doesn't have to prove it was mis-sold. Even if it was correctly sold, doubt that any supporting documentation could be found so the bank would pay up anyway. Given this, plus the number of genuine mis-sales, the banks are mostly paying up.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Yourself all the way it's easy to do and quick. Had just shy of 12k back in last 3 years.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I want to do this myself but when I tried a couple of years ago Brittania said they had no record of me having a mortgage as it was too long ago for their records so I didnt carry on. It now appears that that may have been an excuse to fob me off as most people seem to think their is no time scale so surely they would have records still.

My other largest lender who I am sure would have charged it was the original credit card company Access and Amex

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I want to do this myself but when I tried a couple of years ago Brittania said they had no record of me having a mortgage as it was too long ago for their records so I didnt carry on. It now appears that that may have been an excuse to fob me off as most people seem to think their is no time scale so surely they would have records still.

My other largest lender who I am sure would have charged it was the original credit card company Access and Amex

You might need documentary evidence to prove the existence of a mortgage. I wonder how many tons of paper ended up being shredded by these companies after the time limit on any potential comeback was up ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

given how long they keep financial records - 7 years i believe - its a pretty good chance of no PPI when taking out a mortgage in 1980's. they generally apply to unsecured loans, and didnt always get added or mis-sold. afaik it took of in the late early 00's when every loan tried to add insurance on, to boost profits in a competitive market (you take a cheap % loan, but they make up for that on the PPI). when i took out mortgage with Nationwide the chap actually advised against the policy.

what i find staggering is the repayments some seem to get, must have either been taking huge loans or making substantial repayments. did none of you question the figures or shop around?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here