Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will the Greens fix this before the end of their term? They seem to have enough money....

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
....for all their unwanted vanity projects. 11074446_10152795859066089_2783975578731672623_n.jpg

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I wouldn't imagine the Green councillors would have much to do with that. It would be one of the Council departments.

Some folk really don't seem to understand how local authorities work.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Do you mean , the bloke having a 'lash' on the beach?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
years back the council used to sub the maintenance and painting of the railings out to various bods. allegedly

one I knew of used to buy a 5lt can of paint and dilute it with white spirit at a dilution 1 part paint 5 paints spirit.allegedly. or so he said. allegedly.

no one form the councils ever checked out the standards, just paid the invoice. allegedly.

no wonder they are in such a state now ..

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Be honest - after your posts on this thread you went out of your way to visit the beach today to take a picture of a defect so you could post it on NSC, didn't you.

Why not write to the council, and see what they plan to do with it. I would imagine these old cast iron fences are particularly difficult & relatively expensive to maintain. You can see a previous council has attempted to temporarily repair it in the past, with no success.

Sadly these old metalwork structures in Brighton will not survive the sea air forever - but we're all lucky to have been alive to have enjoyed them.

You are that kitkat bloke and I claim my £5

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
One real concerns I have with the Greens is this:

I accept Lucas is a very good MP and they have some noble ideas, but the Councils actions on the matter below are infuriating.

My Grandmother lives in flats where for the last ten years you could pay for a paid space in a Car Park - guaranteeing you a space. However if you didn't pay, you could still park in the car park, but of no guarantee of a space.

6 weeks ago the Council implemented that you HAD to have a car parking permit to park in the flats, they also cut the number of visitor space from 3 down to one - and you could only stay for a limited number of hours with a permit. So for myself, I can't park in the visitor space overnight, so I'd have to buy a permit or park on the road as they have been ticketing at all hours of the night.

The main problem however is that 90% of residents have decided not to pay the compulsory car park permit, this has meant all these parked cars on the roads - more traffic, more congestion. What's worse I hear there are plans for double yellow lines where all the cars are now parking on the road - meaning residents will be forced to buy the permits.

No idea who I should write to! As with the election coming up, it's all going to change.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
....for all their unwanted vanity projects.View attachment 64218

I wouldn't imagine the Green councillors would have much to do with that. It would be one of the Council departments.

Some folk really don't seem to understand how local authorities work.

This, BL.

What 'vanity projects' (the latest meaningless buzzphrase - though I suspect I know what you're talking about) there are weren't paid for by The Green Party, nor for the most part by the City Council, but by central government.

It was posted recently that people don't know how local government works, and this is another example. I wish people could work out the difference between 'The Green Party' and 'The Council' before they post.

Just wondering if, should Labour or the Conservatives hold the most seats after the election, people will be whining about them to the same extent. They hadn't before, yet the issues were exactly the same (i.e. when will the Labour Party fix the seafront railings...?)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It was posted recently that people don't know how local government works, and this is another example. I wish people could work out the difference between 'The Green Party' and 'The Council' before they post.

But .... and this is the same for all the political parties when they hold power .... the party in charge often claims the successes of the council. It is the political parties that blur the lines and thus people blame them when things go wrong when in reality it is a council issue. I had an interesting tour of the Hollingbury recycling centre yesterday and I got chatting to the head of special projects at Cityclean. The plans they have to improve our services are quite remarkable but guess what ? The political parties can't agree so many of the projects can't be implemented because they need political rubber stamps. Sadly, the council, as a body, would run much more smoothly and efficiently if the political parties were removed from the process.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Be honest - after your posts on this thread you went out of your way to visit the beach today to take a picture of a defect so you could post it on NSC, didn't you.

Why not write to the council, and see what they plan to do with it. I would imagine these old cast iron fences are particularly difficult & relatively expensive to maintain. You can see a previous council has attempted to temporarily repair it in the past, with no success.

Sadly these old metalwork structures in Brighton will not survive the sea air forever - but we're all lucky to have been alive to have enjoyed them.

A good try but completely wrong.

I lifted this photo from an on line group I belong to which is for "People Born in Brighton who still Live in Brighton". It has over 7000 members and this photo provoked one of the biggest number of postings on the site to date. Guess what, the overwhelming majority condemned the councillors for allowing the railings to deteriorate to this extent. Perhaps only true Brightonians have the city close to their heart.

With regard to the railings generally, I am a self employed manager in the local building industry and companies that I work for have tendered for and won the painting of these railings over the years, on behalf of the city council, not government. However, very little was allocated for repairs.

The one thing you are right about is that they won't last if they are not maintained.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
But .... and this is the same for all the political parties when they hold power .... the party in charge often claims the successes of the council. It is the political parties that blur the lines and thus people blame them when things go wrong when in reality it is a council issue. I had an interesting tour of the Hollingbury recycling centre yesterday and I got chatting to the head of special projects at Cityclean. The plans they have to improve our services are quite remarkable but guess what ? The political parties can't agree so many of the projects can't be implemented because they need political rubber stamps. Sadly, the council, as a body, would run much more smoothly and efficiently if the political parties were removed from the process.

This is sadly true - & having a minority administration (without a whip) doesn't help. Perhaps a benign dictatorship is the way to go...

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
This, BL.

What 'vanity projects' (the latest meaningless buzzphrase - though I suspect I know what you're talking about) there are weren't paid for by The Green Party, nor for the most part by the City Council, but by central government.

Just wondering if, should Labour or the Conservatives hold the most seats after the election, people will be whining about them to the same extent. They hadn't before, yet the issues were exactly the same (i.e. when will the Labour Party fix the seafront railings...?)

You are right. People don't know how local government works. And who is responsible for that? The people in local government, not the local electorate. So there's another area where they repeatedly fail.

The Greens claim credit for everything in Brighton and Hove that restricts cars, favours cycling and pedestrians, and is a new yet often divisive initiative such as the damnable Valley Gardens scheme. Yet they wriggle and squirm away from any responsibility or liability for consequences or unforeseen costs. They are surely the most duplicitous local party and Council I have ever known. The Greens claim responsibility for everything, so how are we the local punters to tell truth from lies.
Incidentally, anyone know what happened to the much heralded cyclist counter machine by Withdean Park which apparently cost £20k to install?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Incidentally, anyone know what happened to the much heralded cyclist counter machine by Withdean Park which apparently cost £20k to install?

According to this article they (there was also one on Lewes Road) cost £50,000, part paid for by an EU grant and part paid for by Cycling England, with the - then Conservative led - Council contributing £8,000.

And according to this article they were scrapped by the - then Green led - council, because they were constantly being vandalised and would cost too much to regularly repair when the EU grant was due to end.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
According to this article they (there was also one on Lewes Road) cost £50,000, part paid for by an EU grant and part paid for by Cycling England, with the - then Conservative led - Council contributing £8,000.

And according to this article they were scrapped by the - then Green led - council, because they were constantly being vandalised and would cost too much to regularly repair when the EU grant was due to end.

Excellent research sir. My natural inclination was to think the Greens introduced it, not that they scrapped it.
However, more interested to see the amount spent on a consultation for the Old Shoreham Road cycle lane which led to the Tory administration scrapping the idea.
Only for the Greens to presumably ignore the findings and bash on with it anyway to produce the White Elephant that exists today but is so rarely used.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
You are right. People don't know how local government works. And who is responsible for that? The people in local government, not the local electorate. So there's another area where they repeatedly fail.

The Greens claim credit for everything in Brighton and Hove that restricts cars, favours cycling and pedestrians, and is a new yet often divisive initiative such as the damnable Valley Gardens scheme. Yet they wriggle and squirm away from any responsibility or liability for consequences or unforeseen costs. They are surely the most duplicitous local party and Council I have ever known. The Greens claim responsibility for everything, so how are we the local punters to tell truth from lies.

Strange that you think it is a massive failure of a single Green-led local administration that people don't know how local government works but not a failure of the Tory or Labour parties s that have run both Brighton & Hove council and national governments for decades!!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
....for all their unwanted vanity projects.View attachment 64218

Clichéd nonsense about 'vanity projects' when the vast majority of funding for the Greens road schemes has coming from grants won from central government or Europe.

The poor condition of the railings in your photo is symptomatic of decades of neglect of the seafront by previous Tory and Labour administrations that could cost a reported £100 million to put right - so your photo and glib comment barely scratches the surface of the true story!! The Greens have started real renovation work to the arches around the West Pier end of the seafront for which they should be applauded as the new units look fantastic!

On a wider note the aforementioned decades of Tory/ Labour misrule have given us numerous areas or sites around the city that are run down or derelict - Preston Barracks, Black Rock, Circus Street, London Road, the Open Market, Madeira Terraces, Peter Pans playground, west end of Brighton seafront etc etc - all of these and more have been in decline for years and it is only recently that investment has been forthcoming and areas like the new Open Market and London Road are starting to show signs of a recovery!!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Strange that you think it is a massive failure of a single Green-led local administration that people don't know how local government works but not a failure of the Tory or Labour parties s that have run both Brighton & Hove council and national governments for decades!!

Equally strange that you see criticism of the Greens where none exists, despite you requoting it my exact words! My comment is very specific in response to another quote and simply states that local government is surely responsible for effectively communicating how local government works.

I laid no blame specifically at the present administration, which naturally leads me to conclude you are proving my second point. Your response suggests you might be a Green, justifying poor communication by the Green administration by saying previous Tory and Labour administrations were no better. Wriggling and squirming!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Equally strange that you see criticism of the Greens where none exists, despite you requoting it my exact words! My comment is very specific in response to another quote and simply states that local government is surely responsible for effectively communicating how local government works.

I laid no blame specifically at the present administration, which naturally leads me to conclude you are proving my second point. Your response suggests you might be a Green, justifying poor communication by the Green administration by saying previous Tory and Labour administrations were no better. Wriggling and squirming!

The thread is about alleged Green failure and your 'where THEY repeatedly fail' was directed at the Green Party rather than local government generally as emphasised by the following paragraph in your post!

I 'm not justifying 'poor communication' by anyone merely pointing out a simple fact which is hardly 'wriggling and squirming'!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here