Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I assume you would have supported another referendum if the result has been reversed in favour of remaining ? Yeh, OK !!!!!

If there was as close a result for remain, I would fully expect another referendum in the near future. I have to admit that I would not be supporting that though, unless something changed in the nature of the EU or our relationship with it, a material change. Just as I do not favour a second Scottish independence referendum, but concede that if we leave the EU, there is a material change to the situation faced by the Scots.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You're suggesting that the answer to our dire lack of housing and infrastructure is to build all over our green areas ? :facepalm:

Err, where do you think new houses go?
Are you suggesting that to alleviate the housing problem we repatriate foreigners? Euthanise the elderly? Build new houses on top of existing ones?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
You are a silly billy.Jim made a sneering post against Leavers,labelling us as stupid,poorly educated,bigoted people.This from somebody who exploits people for a living running an employment agency.a profession even lower on the scale than estate agent,or banker.If I choose to try and wind him up in return about having to now pay minimum wage,it's absolutely jack-sh8t to do with you,so wind your neck in.

Not sure I follow - are you saying I run an employment agency? If so, you're wrong - and I have no idea where you got that from. Anyway, as I said in my post, the comments weren't mine.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Respect it. We voted to leave.

I didn't, and many people who will be of voting age by the time a deal is ready for approval didn't have a chance to vote at all, many of those who did will have died.
Whose will is more important in this instance, the living or the dead?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
You are a silly billy.Jim made a sneering post against Leavers,labelling us as stupid,poorly educated,bigoted people.This from somebody who exploits people for a living running an employment agency.a profession even lower on the scale than estate agent,or banker.If I choose to try and wind him up in return about having to now pay minimum wage,it's absolutely jack-sh8t to do with you,so wind your neck in.

PS: I'm not sure why we have to resort to slagging each other off....we all have a wonderful thing in common (ie, supporting BHA), and hopefully at the same time can have a civilised debate about the most important issue for the UK since WW2. I'm sure I'm no saint in this, but let's try to avoid the personal insults :)

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The will of the people expressed through a democratic vote ..

Respect it. We voted to leave.

On my desktop we have reached page 3245, I doubt there is a single page that doesn't include you two repeating this mantra, believe me everyone who has ever taken the most cursory glance at this thread, knows exactly where you to stand. I expect there to be a second referendum, for entirely practical reasons. Whilst both key parties are notionally in favour of exit, I can not see how Brexit Bulldog ace negotiator can come back with a deal that satisfies the majority of his own party let alone the Corbynistas.

If Parliament is not given a vote on the deal there will be a strong push for a vote of no confidence in the government. If you are a remain Tory in a remain area, to support this would be the end of your political career. I am sure that you and many others would urge them to do the right thing for the good of the country and maybe a few will accept the knighthood and life peerage, but the numbers don't look achievable right now.

A vote of no confidence driven by Brexit would be futile if it forces a general election where both main parties are in favour of Brexit. A change of government, would result in a new set of negotiations, followed 2 years later by the same impasse a Brexit proposal that can't proceed without a large government majority in the Commons and a strong party whip.

If you thought the DUP drove a hard bargain, wait until you see Corbyn's Brexit wish list. He holds all the cards, and he isn't ideologically tied to Brexit. He needs a deal far less than half the cabinet who have staked their political careers on Brexit. At the moment it is either a deal on his terms, or he brings down the government, by appearing entirely reasonable, which of course he is not.

I don't derive any satisfaction from this mess and I don't have any great desire to see this outcome, but what I believe can be negotiated is a second referendum, based on the terms agreed/proposed, with a binding agreement from parliament that the result will be respected and passed or rejected based on this outcome.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I see May realising she is on course for a disaster is trying to drag down the other parties with her.

I'll be shocked if any Join her.

Strong and stable

Think she is starting to realise that Brexit is a poisoned chalice, so much downside so little upside

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
On my desktop we have reached page 3245, I doubt there is a single page that doesn't include you two repeating this mantra, believe me everyone who has ever taken the most cursory glance at this thread, knows exactly where you to stand. I expect there to be a second referendum, for entirely practical reasons. Whilst both key parties are notionally in favour of exit, I can not see how Brexit Bulldog ace negotiator can come back with a deal that satisfies the majority of his own party let alone the Corbynistas.

If Parliament is not given a vote on the deal there will be a strong push for a vote of no confidence in the government. If you are a remain Tory in a remain area, to support this would be the end of your political career. I am sure that you and many others would urge them to do the right thing for the good of the country and maybe a few will accept the knighthood and life peerage, but the numbers don't look achievable right now.

A vote of no confidence driven by Brexit would be futile if it forces a general election where both main parties are in favour of Brexit. A change of government, would result in a new set of negotiations, followed 2 years later by the same impasse a Brexit proposal that can't proceed without a large government majority in the Commons and a strong party whip.

If you thought the DUP drove a hard bargain, wait until you see Corbyn's Brexit wish list. He holds all the cards, and he isn't ideologically tied to Brexit. He needs a deal far less than half the cabinet who have staked their political careers on Brexit. At the moment it is either a deal on his terms, or he brings down the government, by appearing entirely reasonable, which of course he is not.

I don't derive any satisfaction from this mess and I don't have any great desire to see this outcome, but what I believe can be negotiated is a second referendum, based on the terms agreed/proposed, with a binding agreement from parliament that the result will be respected and passed or rejected based on this outcome.

A refreshingly sensible post.....

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Wrong sonny, if you post it on here I have every right to comment. If you don't like it, use the PM function. I also assume he has already been paying minimum wage as if not, he'd be breaking the law. Tit.

You definitely are a silly billy.You obviously know sod-all about gig economy and zero hours contract people's pay and conditions,so just butt out before you make yourself look even stupider than you already do.Try listening to today's news programmes,as you obviously don't or can't read newspapers!If you hear something about national insurance,or minimum wage,prick up your curly ears,pig.

Jan 30, 2008
facts are we're leaving the EU, get a grip !! a bit of short term pain for a lot of long term gain PUTTING THE GREAT back into Britain, if you don't like it sling your hook AND GET ACROSS THE CHANNEL FOR YOUR FIX OF EU DICTATORSHIP.
regards
DR

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has told MPs the European Union can "go whistle" for any "extortionate" final payment from the UK on Brexit.
And he said that the government had "no plan" for what to do in the event of no deal being agreed with the EU.
He said: "The sums I have seen that they propose to demand from this country appear to be extortionate."
"Go whistle seems to me to be an entirely appropriate expression," he added.
Asked during Commons questions if there was a strategy, either public or private, for what would happen if there was no agreement on Brexit, Mr Johnson said: "There is no plan for no deal because we are going to get a great deal."
His comments come after No 10 sources played down suggestions that Theresa May plans to walk out of Brexit talks in September to show defiance over EU demands for a divorce bill worth tens of billions of pounds.
Mrs May has said that her view going into the Brexit negotiations was that "no deal is better than a bad deal".
Mr Johnson's comments seem to be at odds with Brexit Secretary David Davis, who told the BBC last month that the government had "worked up in detail" the "no deal" option on Brexit.

Some one shut this clown up

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Good idea, lets have one when we can see what leaving really looks like.

Would that be after finalising the leaving deal and concluding our new trading relationship with the EU and allowing for any transition period and the setting up of new trade deals with the US, Australia, Canada, China, India etc ? ... probably about 2025 onwards then.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has told MPs the European Union can "go whistle" for any "extortionate" final payment from the UK on Brexit.
And he said that the government had "no plan" for what to do in the event of no deal being agreed with the EU.
He said: "The sums I have seen that they propose to demand from this country appear to be extortionate."
"Go whistle seems to me to be an entirely appropriate expression," he added.
Asked during Commons questions if there was a strategy, either public or private, for what would happen if there was no agreement on Brexit, Mr Johnson said: "There is no plan for no deal because we are going to get a great deal."
His comments come after No 10 sources played down suggestions that Theresa May plans to walk out of Brexit talks in September to show defiance over EU demands for a divorce bill worth tens of billions of pounds.
Mrs May has said that her view going into the Brexit negotiations was that "no deal is better than a bad deal".
Mr Johnson's comments seem to be at odds with Brexit Secretary David Davis, who told the BBC last month that the government had "worked up in detail" the "no deal" option on Brexit.

Some one shut this clown up

It would be quite interesting to have a new thread running, on where people think this is really heading. I can't believe anyone can be happy or confident in progress to date. Sadly it would be merged with this guff inside a day, full of playground chants of "we won the vote, we won the vote" and the equally dull tongue sticking out responses.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Would that be after finalising the leaving deal and concluding our new trading relationship with the EU and allowing for any transition period and the setting up of new trade deals with the US, Australia, Canada, China, India etc ? ... probably about 2025 onwards then.

That post reads completely anti-Brexit, and I agree. Eight years of uncertainty, probable disadvantage and possible chaos. Eight years. Eight bloody years. And that's from a Brexiter. How many thought that they were voting for 8 years of fannying about?

It is impossible to escape the fact that nobody had a plan on how to negociate a Brexit. The disappointing thing is that a year after May came to 'power' we have not moved on an inch. On thing is particularly disturbing - instead of banishing Boris to the back benches, there he is, in a leadership role. Having been too 'frit' to stand as leader once, what deluded political ambition does he still harbour, and how much will this influence his work place performance? From posts above it seems that showboating and hubris are his defaults. Not good at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here