Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pensions Pensions Pensions......................

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Many 40/60th schemes have either been capped (ie even if your pay increases your contributions don't and it's capped at a lower salary) or even closed completely, so you're in pretty good shape on that front........I've got a couple of pals who have gone past their 40th years in a single firm, drawn their tax free cash and pension but carried on working anyway.......

I'm going to have no pension income when I stop work, will be reliant on 2 DC funds and any savings to generate an income once I pack it in. Timing will be important.

Ours was capped as final salary you were on last September which is ok for me but a massive blow for others

D

Deleted User X18H

My point was that if I had say £300,000 in various pots, could I take £75,000 tax free when I hit 55?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
One of the few sensible things I have done, moneywise, was to get advice as soon as the government started changing the workplace pension rules, 17 or so years ago. I started my pension when aged 28. It is one of those excellent final salary ones. I recall NHS staff 'opting out' in the late 80s and losing out badly. So 17 years ago I took advice, and arranged to max out my AVCs AND pay so that when I hit 60 (next year) I will have accumulated 40 years' pensionable service (i.e., I have added 10 year's of payment to my pension). The final salary rules changed a few years ago but this hardly affects me as the new arrangment applies only to money going into the plan going forward (not retrospective). The lump sum and monthly salary I can take next year are mouth watering. But I expect I will stay put at work, so I can add to the pension if I want. Or I can take a lump sum and upgrade to a bigger Favrsham Towers with a larger wine lake. Having lived in pinched circumstances for much of the last 30 years I think I deserve a bit of extra comfort now. Anyway as others have said, take advice (this applies to me wrt to how much I'm taxed if I take lump sums) and pay into a big stable scheme for as long as you can.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems like a good thread to EXHORT people to track down any lost pensions they may be owed, using the government's free pension tracing service.

If you know the company you worked for, no matter how long ago, just enter the company details and it'll tell you where to write off to see if you have an old pension with that company. Like I posted on here before, I worked for a publishing company for four years back in the late seventies. Had no recollection whatsoever of joining their pension scheme or making any contributions (may have been non-contributory). Wrote to the company's pension administrators who confirmed I did indeed have a small pension that had been sat there gathering dust and gaining interest all those years. Not exactly a life changing amount if taken as an annuity, but with the newish pension freedoms, multiply the annuity by, say, a minimum of 20 and you could easily end up with a very tidy lump sum instead.

The website was relaunched last year, with the press release including the following:

'Minister for Pensions, Baroness Ros Altmann said:

People have had on average 11 jobs during their working life which can mean they have as many work place pensions to keep track of.

The new DWP online Pension Tracing Service helps reunite people with their lost pensions, giving details of providers to help people track them down.

I’d encourage anyone who thinks they may be missing out on any savings to use the free online service at www.gov.uk/find-pension-contact-details.'

Gotta be worth a few minutes of your time if you are approaching retirement age shirley?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Whether you actually do it or not, or whether it's advisable, is another question.......but the flexibility is useful

So with any pension you can take out 25% tax free at 55, assume the pension monthly drops pro-rata ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So with any pension you can take out 25% tax free at 55, assume the pension monthly drops pro-rata ?

Not sure it's any scheme, some may have restrictions. Drop in resulting pension would also depend on the scheme - reductions vary.......hence the need for advice.....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
My point was that if I had say £300,000 in various pots, could I take £75,000 tax free when I hit 55?

I have to say I am stunned that a man of your standing has got to the age you have without discussing this with your accountant, IFA and Broker :smile:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I very much doubt a local weather forecaster would accumulate that sort of pension pot

Whoosh......but probably would in fact. Mostly they're met office staff on a very generous final-salary scheme........a projected pension of less than 10k a year would need a pot of over £300k at todays values.

I have a relative who is basically skint now after ill health and now unemployed but built up a decent pot for retirement so , now she is more healthy its mad that she cannot cash in the money (and at the same time probably save the government paying her jobseekers!). Would n'tyou rather be able to have your money now when you are well enough to use it? As i understand it she has to wait until shes 55 and even then because she will be heavily penilised for taking it early, anything she gets would probably be swallowed up by the reduction in benefits she gets >(

If you have an older pension scheme with protected tax free cash, then the tax free sum may well be higher, but it will always be at least 25% if transferred to a modern pension arrangement - but you cannot do this by yourself, or normally via your pension provider, but via an IFA who has the qualifications to do so. All the regulatory responsibilities fall upon us - hurrah!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here