Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale may stay....

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
If Stephens moves on he will get a large signing on fee and a premier salary. If he stays, yes we will pay him that salary (if we are promoted) but any signing on fee will be comparatively modest. Paying large signing on fees would just send the wrong message.

It depends how much Dale really wants the money and to live in another part of the country.

Listening to the interview I think he was being totally professional and not looking to rock the boat at this time.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The whole "how good is Stephens?" question reminds me a bit of Murray to be honest. There were a lot of people who said Murray was lazy and wasn't worth the money when he was with us first time round. Obviously with hindsight after he'd left and when he started banging them in for Palace, everyone realised we missed him. Stephens does a lot of under rated work that sometimes goes unnoticed but you bloody miss when he's not there, similar to Murray during his first stint. The difference is when Murray left and we realised how much we missed him and we've all become a lot more appreciative of him. I think Stephens would be the same if he left, we'd realise the hole he'd leave and recognise the job he was doing for someone else.

That said I'm not sure Stephens would go. I can see reasons why he'd stay and reasons why he'd go, I guess there's only one person who knows what the situation will be.

Good point, but I think it was just a vocal minority of Poyet lovers or Murray dislikers who didn't mind him leaving in 2011. The majority of fans didn't want the 30 goal hero to go. For myself, I spoke very briefly with Murray in April 2011 at the Fans Day and made my feelings known. The quest of adults and kids waiting to get his autograph was vast compared to those around the other players. He was a hero. Gutted when he left.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Good point, but I think it was just a vocal minority of Poyet lovers or Murray dislikers who didn't mind him leaving in 2011. The majority of fans didn't want the 30 goal hero to go. For myself, I spoke very briefly with Murray in April 2011 at the Fans Day and made my feelings known. The quest of adults and kids waiting to get his autograph was vast compared to those around the other players. He was a hero. Gutted when he left.

Yeah it was a bit of generalisation and perhaps over exaggeration. Similarly people obviously rate Stephens highly. I just meant that there are some criticisms sometimes levelled at him, that would disappear once he was gone and he was playing a blinder for someone else. It just reminds me of the Murray situation a bit.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Felt at the time that he and CMS would take us up immediately.

However, I was more pleased (at the time) that CMS signed, rather than disappointed that Murray left. Apparently I got that very, very wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree had we kept Murray and played CMS in the SB role we would now be established in the Premier IMHO, but mistakes happen.

As regards Stephens and a signing on fee would we not have to pay £5m+ for a replacement so the obvious answer is that we could afford to give him a sizeable signing on fee provided CH thinks that Stephens is the answer and doesnt need a replacement for him. You could never sign a player of his ability for less than £1m or even £2m.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I agree had we kept Murray and played CMS in the SB role we would now be established in the Premier IMHO, but mistakes happen.

As regards Stephens and a signing on fee would we not have to pay £5m+ for a replacement so the obvious answer is that we could afford to give him a sizeable signing on fee provided CH thinks that Stephens is the answer and doesnt need a replacement for him. You could never sign a player of his ability for less than £1m or even £2m.

Baldock is a better player than CMS in every aspect. And in my opinion if you're looking at replacing Stephens with better/equal you need someone like Cairney who would cost 7-10m in this market. Stephens would be worth a big sign on fee IMO as a replacement would cost more.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He's gone regardless of whether we go up IMO.

Will be a huge loss but we've had great service from him and this season could be the icing on the cake so don't begrudge him a big move if that's what he wants at all.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow

If we hadn't let Murray slip through our fingers we would have had a great shot at the play offs that first season and gone up in the second, I'm convinced of that. We missed his best years and in exchange for what? An enthusiastic poodle that couldn't trap a bag of cement! (Sorry CMS but it's true!)

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He's gone regardless of whether we go up IMO.

Will be a huge loss but we've had great service from him and this season could be the icing on the cake so don't begrudge him a big move if that's what he wants at all.

Define 'Big move' because if that's to Burnley it's hardly a big move is it, they are a better side than us at the moment but I wouldnt say that's a big move.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Baldock is a better player than CMS in every aspect. And in my opinion if you're looking at replacing Stephens with better/equal you need someone like Cairney who would cost 7-10m in this market. Stephens would be worth a big sign on fee IMO as a replacement would cost more.

Not wishing to pick holes, but...

1. Cairney is nothing like Stephens.
2. Fulham quoted Newcastle £20m for Cairney

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Cairney is someone we already need ie. no10 and is a totally different player to Stephens.

7-10m? Try doubling it.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Not wishing to pick holes, but...

1. Cairney is nothing like Stephens.
2. Fulham quoted Newcastle £20m for Cairney

Didn't mean playing style just similar in ability/market value. That furthers my point: A player of similar ability (IMO) is worth 20m in today's market.. if we have to pay a few million sign on fee then so be it.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Didn't mean playing style just similar in ability/market value. That furthers my point: A player of similar ability (IMO) is worth 20m in today's market.. if we have to pay a few million sign on fee then so be it.

You'd be looking at someone like Howson who would cost less, but command a higher wage. Having said that, he is looking to be Norwich's PotS so maybe i'm underestimating it.

But yes I agree with your point, it is certainly not economical to let Stephens go because of a signing on fee.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
I'm trying hard to resist thoughts of "on your bike then Dale...". All noises for the past year or so - and the majority of his performances this season - have seemed to indicate he's a bit "meh" about the Albion. There's plenty that wouldn't be, especially if we're in the Premier League, so I wouldn't be upset if he did one to be honest.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
If a player - any player - makes repeated statements about wanting to leave, we should get rid. Whatever their abilities, if they don't have the commitment and their hearts not in it, it won't do any good, long term, in breaking the bank to try to keep them.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm trying hard to resist thoughts of "on your bike then Dale...". All noises for the past year or so - and the majority of his performances this season - have seemed to indicate he's a bit "meh" about the Albion.

Could you explain how his performances have indicated he's a bit "meh"? You must have been watching different games to me, in the ones i've watched (all of them minus Portman Road) he's been throwing his body around as frequently as last season. He also doesn't look particularly "meh" when we score goals, save penalties or the final whistle when we win games, or in the January window where he could have taken his "meh" to further engineer a move.

If a player - any player - makes repeated statements about wanting to leave, we should get rid. Whatever their abilities, if they don't have the commitment and their hearts not in it, it won't do any good, long term, in breaking the bank to try to keep them.

He has made one statement after the opportunity had passed, in which he stated the reason as wanting to play top flight football.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here